Sign in to follow this  
invisibleman18

My Season

Well let's hope that's the last of your injury woes Alex. I like the attitude of getting right into the mix as soon as you arrived, sending emails and contacting clubs. When you are fully recovered, do you think you'll be straight in goals or benched for a while (other keeper in your place?

Well let's hope that's the last of your injury woes Alex. I like the attitude of getting right into the mix as soon as you arrived' date=' sending emails and contacting clubs. When you are fully recovered, do you think you'll be straight in goals or benched for a while (other keeper in your place?

[/quote']

Hopefully I'll be playing. There was no other keeper between the 2 teams when I got injured and 1 other came along while I was injured, although he had a very poor game in the pre-season tournament and the coach said to me "after seeing that I'm not risking you next week, I need you fit for the season," (I think that was 2 weeks after the injury, at the time I thought it was a much better injury that it's ended up being and was aiming to return the next week). While it would be nice to play in the 1st team, I'm not really bothered which I play in, I just want to play.

Getting the whole summer league was good. I really didn't expect that. I packed my car full of my stuff for the move down and had too much stuff to fit so had to leave out most of my football gear since it was summer, I had no team, and would be going back over new year so I'd pick up more then. I brought the minimum (my previous season's match gloves, 1 pair of boots, shin pads and my shirt and shorts) just in case I managed to get a summer game. Although I've ended up being out for 5+ weeks just ahead of the season, at least I got that 3 months of summer league so I'm still pretty match practised and won't be going into it having not played for ages.

Season starts this weekend. Knee has felt ok after training the last 2 weeks, although still don't know if I'm playing. Coach was supposed to name the 2 teams tonight (Thursday) after training but due to injuries and quite a few missing he has delayed it until tomorrow, which I think is a bit ridiculous.

Not very confident of getting a game to be honest. 3 goalkeepers for 2 teams and I have been out injured for 6 weeks so they have hardly got to see me play, so I have to be the least likely of the 3 to be selected. Fingers crossed I can play somewhere although it's probably too late for this week to find out if there's anotheer lower grade team within the club needing a keeper. I'm happy to play for any team at any level, I just want to play. Think I should have just stayed with the other club I trained with and waited for the lower grade teams to register as they have loads of teams and there probably would have been a spot somewhere. Shouldn't have been impatient and tried to push too far above my level.

Got unexpectedly called to the first team game. Thought I'd be playing but turned out the coach played himself (despite constantly saying at every training that his body is ruined and he doesn't want to play) and I was just a sub. Been told by a lot of people that there is a city wide shortage of goalkeepers so am pretty gutted I've joined a club and will probably never get a game. The club chairman (or woman actually) was there so I spoke to her and said if there's any other team at the club in need of a keeper then I'd rather go and play at any level as I just want to play rather than sit on the sideline every week. My ambition was always just to get in a team somewhere, never had any dreams of being involved with first teams. She said there are probably a couple of teams and she will get back to me so fingers crossed I can hopefully get a game next week. I don't care if it's 20th team or whatever, just want to play.

Not a chance to change clubs completely? I understand you've committed to a certain degree with this club...but at the end of the day, you've got a whole season of YOUR personal development. Look after number 1 before anyone else. Like the old saying says...in case of an airline emergency...put your OWN oxygen mask on before helping anyone else...otherwise you are no use to anyone.

I want you to be in a position that YOU want to be, and feel you are getting benefit from. I hope that's the case :(

I don't care about getting in first team, I never had any thought or ambition for it, and if I'm honest it's probably a couple of divisions above my level. My only desire from the original emails I sent around the clubs was to get in a team somewhere and play and enjoy it. I chose this one as the coach told me he'd have a spot for me and his exact words were "we will always find a place for people and we'll never turn players away."

Sat on the sideline as sub again today. The coach told me I'd get a game somewhere next weekend although when I asked at training the other day (was trying to make it known I'd play at any level that needed a keeper if I wasn't going to play here in a last ditch attempt to get a game this weekend) he also said I was very likely to play this weekend, yet I sat on the side and watched 2 matches so I can't really trust that. The chairwoman was there again and said she had asked around and one of the social teams (div 15, as opposed to div 1 which the first team is) is in need of a goalie so hopefully I can get a game there next weekend. Quite a big drop but all I want is to play so if that's what I have to do to get a game then I'll do it.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change clubs now. I've only just transferred here from the last club I was registered at in Auckland and I don't think you can transfer again so quickly, or even if you can at all again in the same season. I could try and find out though and if I have another couple of weeks of not playing then get in touch with those other couple of clubs I trained with and see if they have a spot again.

Training tonight so should find out if I'm getting a game this weekend. Am in a bit of a rough patch with a few things at the moment and football is all I've got that could give me a little bit of pleasure so really hope I can play somewhere. Have decided if I don't get a game this weekend I'm getting touch with other clubs on Monday morning to see if there's a team in need of a keeper somewhere else. I've come here to play and enjoy it, not have to fight and beg for a game every week and end up watching on the sideline, and I have no affinity to this club, or any club here having only just moved here a few months ago. I understand it's competitive football and everything, but it's not professional. Quite the opposite, the club asked us for membership fees this week so if I'm going to be paying the club good money to be a member, I think I'm entitled to expect some time on the pitch. That's not an unreasonable expectation is it?

So once again teams not named at training and now it's 9pm on Friday and still nothing. Called the coach earlier to try and find out and he said I would not be with the first team but was still deciding about the reserves, but didn't sound very sure I would play. Got fed up with this treatment and decided to email a few other clubs to see if there was a team somewhere that needed a keeper and within 10 minutes (!) a guy called me desparate for one and offered me a game tomorrow. Told him I'd let him know if I was available later on and I set a 9pm deadline for my current coach to get in touch. 9pm is now up and no word so while in the past I would always be worried about what everyone else thinks this time I've taken your advice Goal Tender and looked after number 1. Just called the guy and I'm playing for this other club tomorrow (unofficially under another name on the team card of course!).

The reserves game is an hour and a half drive away tomorrow so it's a long away trip. In my opinion it's not right to leave people hanging until late the night before not knowing if they have to drive there or not. If he calls now and says I'm playing I'll make up some excuse as to why I'm now unavailable. I'm currently looking for a place to live and I was trying to push him into deciding earlier by saying I was tryong to make flat viewing appointments and needed to know when I would be at football (and hence unavailable to make them) in the weekend. So I'll just say it was getting so late I just assumed I wasn't playing and made appointments with people who were only available tomorrow afternoon rather than risk missing out on finding a place. Then if I like these guys and they want me to play regularly, organise a transfer next week.

I am glad you found playing time! Most team dont know a good thing until it is gone!

Finally a text from the coach at 9.50am. When the game is 2pm and an hour and a half drive away, surely people should be told before then. It said "Really sorry but haven't got a game for you this weekend and feel really bad about it as I know I promised and haven't delivered. Will guarantee you a run next week." But before the first week he said it was quite likely I'd play and last week guaranteed I would play this week. So I'm finished with this club. If today goes ok and this team want me to stay then when he emails on Monday or Tuesday I'll tell him not to bother finding me a game and I'm transferring.

At least he was man enough to do it via text...:)

Well fingers crossed you have had a good experience with this club & can focus on getting settled.

Apologies for the delayed update, not having a very good time of things at the moment with trying to find somewhere to live before becoming homeless next weekend (and also the girlfriend having to spend a night in hospital this week).

Anyway things turned out well with football. Played for this new team on Saturday in a good tight game. A lower more social level than where I had been, but at least it was a game. Felt more fired up and strangely even more confident than I have for a long time as I was just itching to get on the pitch and this was finally my chance.

Opposition were much quicker and had most of the possession early on. Made a decent save low with my feet when a striker had got round a defender in the box early on. After about 30 minutes they took the lead. A long ball caught out a couple of defenders and although one of our guys got back to challenge on the edge of the box he only succeeded in curling a perfect finish into the bottom corner for a stunning own goal! Straight from the kick off the own goal scorer played an awesome defence splitting pass and the left winger, another new guy on the day like me thumped it in with his left foot. From 0-0 to 1-1 in literally 30 seconds.

1-1 at half time then early in the 2nd half they got a throw in down our end, the long throw found it's target and I made a very good save down low to the left. From the resulting corner we broke straight up the other end, striker got through and was pulled down from behind when through on goal for a penalty. This was blasted away for 2-1. A few minutes later it was 3-1 when another defence splitting pass from the right sent a striker through on goal.

Was delighted to have made a save that turned out that important, kept us at 1-1 and we went straight up the other end and scored 2 goals. Throughout the summer league the really annoying trend in almost every game had been I'd make a really good save, then concede one within a few minutes afterwards anyway.

The last 20 minutes or so was real backs to the wall stuff. The entire last 15 minutes was down our end with an aerial bombardment from Rory Delap style long throw after long throw. A few dodgy moments with some scrambles, and defensive headers just clearing the bar etc but we managed to hold on for a 3-2 win.

Am now transferring to this club and staying with this team. It's a good bunch of guys and they practically begged me to stay afterwards with the main comment being "what a different it makes to have a keeper who can actually make a couple of saves." They were just going to rotate who took the gloves each week otherwise.

The team has a website with brief match reports etc: http://skins.myteamcaptain.com/

Good to hear, great job out there congratz on the new team and win. Hopefully you will find a place to live soon, hows your gf? She ok? why did she have to spend a night in the hospital

Sorry for the delayed response again. Thanks guys, I have now found a new place and moved in this morning so that stress is over. The girlfriend has some stomach problems. Nothing to serious hopefully.

Anyway last week's game. Should have posted a report quickly as I now can't remember it in great detail but there's a brief write up on the team website. Started out pretty even and we took the lead after about 15 minutes. A long clearance from the back eluded their defence and our striker stole in ahead of the keeper. They started getting on top after that and I made 2 saves in a couple of minutes - 1 down low to the left and the other adjusting well to turn a deflected shot away for a corner - aswell as claimed severaol crosses. A goal for them was coming and a free header from a corner brought the equaliser followed quickly by a goal mouth scramble giving them a 2-1 half time lead.

2nd half we dominated possession but never really created a good chance. Came away with a few knocks myself too. I had hurt my hip the week before landing on the very hard ground and it was very bruised. In claiming a loose ball in the box I was clattered by a striker who went straight into the sore part of my hip, and I landed bang on the bad knee which destroyed my pre-season, and to top it off the guy landed on top of me too giving me a slightl sore back and leaving me winded! Fortunately the knee wasn't too bad although it started to swell slightly and a small bruise came up.

Onto today. They started out stronger and had some opportunities early on, I made 1 good saves with my feet from a one on one. We then got more into it and dominated possession but didn't really manage to test the keeper. Then right on half time a long ball caught out our defence and I couldn't quite get there before the striker lifted it over me for 1-0. As the 2nd half started we again got on top and played most of the game in their half but the goal just wouldn't come. They got a few breakaways and I made one good claim at full stretch from a cross. Finally the equaliser came with about 20 minutes to go. A bad header back to their keeper took a bad bounce which the keeper couldn't hold above his head and one of our players managed to lift the ball back over him. Straight away they got on the attack and our right winger gave the ball away outside our box, theit guy cut inside and shot and I made one of the best saves I've made in a long time tipping over the far top corner. One of those ones where I just managed to get a tip to it and looked back as I landed praying it hadn't nestled in the top corner. Turned out to be important as straight away we got up the other end and took the lead with our right winger making up for the error and finishing off a penalty area scramble. A few minutes later it was 3-1 thanks to a good through ball to our striker and we cruised through the last 10 minutes. Very frustrating 70 minutes or so but got the result in the end. One of those games where I didn't have an awful lot to do but what I did do turned out to be an important contribution. :huh:

Sorry I don't know what's up with the everytime I put an apostrophe, it's just added it automatically and editing doesn't take it out.

Wow sounds intense, glad you found a place. Hope you gf feels better, you as well after those good number of hits.

Yeah I'm feeling alright. Got a feeling the knee is going cause a bit of discomfort and pain all season everytime it gets knocked as it was damaged pretty extensively. Probably needs a full summer off impact!

Game 4 - 01/05/10

Opposition: Wellington United

Venue: Home

Time: 12.30pm

Weather: Despite 'severe weather warnings' the previous evening, surprisingly not bad. Little wind and small spots of drizzle but nothing to ruin the match, although the pitches are still pretty hard from summer and could use a couple of good downpours!

On paper our opposition looked to be the worst in the league having lost their first 4 while scoring only 1 goal in the process. We on the other hand had won 3, lost 1 although had not particularly prolific in scoring 11 (with 7 of them coming in the first 2 games).

We struggled to get going early on as the game was very scrappy in midfield. While we have been a very solid team at the back so far this season, we lack creativity up front and we were missing the 3 players likely to creat a chance so it was always going to be a bit of a struggle to score.

Wasn't much for me to do early on but I did have to rush out once and land on the bad knee, once again causing a bit of pain. We dominated possession for the whole first half although never really did anything with it in the final third. Their keeper had a massive goal kick on him which forced me to rush out and clear just ahead of the striker a couple of times late on. Into half time and the comment from our guys was "well the 2nd half can only get better."

Unfortunately it never really did. We continued to have all the ball but the closest we came was a header from an early 2nd half corner being scrambled away off the line. They lacked ideas when the got the ball and were all long ball. I never had a proper save to make but had to rush out about 5 or 6 times and make some sweeper style clearances, 1 pretty good one when the striker seemed favourite to get there first (the comment on the match report on the website mentions me judging when to come off the line perfectly, which is a nice comment).

1 worrying moment late on when a long ball caught out our left back and their winger ran on to it and hooked it goalwards from the sideline. It ballooned way up in the air and was threatening to drop under the bar, I back pedalled and had it covered as it went over my outstretched hands and over the bar. But as I landed I heard that terrifying sound of the ball hitting and rolling down the net and a cheer coming up from their bench. Thinking "surely I haven't fucking let that in" I gritted my teeth and looked back, relieved to see the ball behind the goal having rolled down the outside back of the net. Must have looked close!

Alas that was as close as it came in a very disappointing 0-0. On the upside personally though, it's my first clean sheet in almost 3 years so it was a long frustrating wait. I didn't play in 2009 due to travelling overseas throughout the season and in 2008 played in an awful team where getting 11 turn up to a game was a good result so a clean sheet never came close that year. I did manage one at the start of this uear in the 9 a side summer league, but talking proper 11 a side football here.

Despite the draw we remain 2nd in the league with 3 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss. Reasonably happy with 5 conceded in 4 games (I didn't play the first as I transferred here for the 2nd game - well actually playing the 2nd game illegally before transferring officially!). Much better rate than I've been used to in recent teams.

Western Suburbs await next week and they are clearly in the wrong division having scored 35 goals so far in their first 5 games so should be a pretty busy game for me compared to this one! We'll be missing 2 of our 3 main centre backs and one of our full backs too so it's not looking promising.

wow, i know how you feel, we are about to get into our fifth game, and the team we just played scored 20 in there first three games, and only have allowed two goals from the second best team!

Game 6 - 08/05/10

Opposition: Western Suburbs

Venue: Away

Time: 2.30pm

Weather: Overcast but calm

Furthest away game we will have with it being about a 45 minute drive or so from our home ground. Western Suburbs were top having scored 35 goals in their first 5 games and we were missing 2 of our 3 main centre backs.

Got to the ground early having left early not really knowing how long it would take to get there. Absolutely beautiful pitch, probably the best I've ever played on. Soft and like carpet. Incomparable to the hard as concrete pitches everywhere else in Wellington (and many junior games have been postponed and moved to new artificial pitches because of it).

We even had an official referee for once who seemed to be based at that ground. Game started fairly evenly with no real chances in the first 20 minutes. Then they took the lead with a blast from outside the area into the roof of the net. Got a finger tip to it and was a bit disappointed not to have tipped it over. It all blew up a couple of minutes later. One of their guys came through miles offside but not called, and one of our defenders managed to get back to put the ball out for a throw. Most of our team stopped to argue with the ref about the offside, in which time they took the throw in with none of our players back, I made a pretty good save but couldn't stop the resulting rebound and the goal was allowed. I was absolutely livid that could be play on with most of the players on the pitch surrounding the referee arguing with him but he allowed it. We quickly got 1 back however when a free kick was allowed to bounce in the box and one of our players volleyed into the roof of the net.

Minutes later a long ball over the top caught out one of our defenders and he chased it back into the box, tried to hook it away only succeeding to loop it up over me for a seemingly ridiculous own goal, however, I managed to back-peddle, and fall back at full stretch to claw it up over the bar from above the line. I don't know how I kept it out, it was an extraordinary save, similar to David Seaman against Sheffield United from that goalline header. I lay virtually in the back of the net stunned that the ball wasn't in there with me. Still can't work out how I got there, just one of those reflex things!

All in vain alas. Minutes before half time they made it 3 when a low cross was converted at the far post.

At half time I ran over to the ref to argue about the 2nd goal. First time in my live I have sought out a referee for an argument like that! It was pointless of course but for some reason it felt right to let it all out.

2nd half started and it was a bit of an onslaught. Made a good save early diving high to the left to parry it out. Landed on the bad knee, but on such a perfect pitch it was fine. Made a decent stop holding onto the ball low to the left from a header from the resulting corner.

We had a lot of possession but struggled to get down their end. I made a good claim from a free kick from our left and a good punch above a striker from a long ball. Another good save diving full stretch to the right and a good tip over from a blast from the edge of the box followed before they got a 4th with a bullet header into the top corner from a corner.

There was time for 1 final save as I parried away a long shot and managed to get a hand up at the feet of the striker coming in for the rebound to block his effort in the last minute, also taking a kick to the head in the process!

Disappointing result but they are clearly a division or 2 too low and it's hard to imagine any of the other 6 teams (only an 8 team league) taking points off them this season.

Good performance personally with probably 4 of my best 5 saves of the season and they named me man of the match afterwards. Would of course much prefer a man of the match performance contributing to a win though!

dont we all.. but never happeneds bud!

congrats on the man of match, proud of you bud! sounds like the team you were playing are a good side. usually when your busy you produce your best as you have so many chances to do so.. bit like training really lol

Game 7 - 15/05/10

Opposition: Naenae

Venue: Away

Weather: Sunny and calm

Torrential rain all Friday night and thunder storms scheduled for Saturday so we didn't think games would be going ahead. But amazingly the weather cleared and we had the only couple of hours of decent weather in the whole weekend.

We didn't start very well and they had all the ball for most of the first half. We just couldn't keep possession and get down their end, but I still had little to do. A cross to catch, a couple of clearances and gathering the ball off the ground a few times. All their shots were high and wide and I spent most of the half running down the hill behind the goal, jumping over the little stream and fishing the ball out of the water! I did more running than anyone else on the pitch just by fetching the ball for goal kicks! Despite not having much of the ball, we cam closest to scoring. A speculative long range shot forced a good save from their keeper.

Half time came and it was pretty much reversed with us taking control. A lot of chances came and went and the goal didn't look like coming. There only chance came when our right back messed up a clearance from a cross giving it straight to their striker on the penalty spot. Fortunately he muffed his shot and I was able to smother down to the left.

With about 25 minutes to go a long ball caught out our defence and a striker ran through seemingly way offside. I raced out of the box and managed to get there just in time blocking his attempted flick past me with my knee. Then in racing back into the goal I lost my footing running too quickly backwards, performing a quite spectacular double backwards roll! Relievingly the eventual shot was over the bar.

Almost immediately we finally found the goal. A long ball from the left and our striker got there just ahead of the keeper. With 10 minutes to go they levelled it. A corner was cleared to the edge of the box and a first time shot rifled through what seemed liked a million people and it was in before I saw it. Just came through too many bodies.

Last 10 minutes was all us but we couldn't find another goal. Frustrating result and it's 3 games without a win now, but we remain 3rd.

We're pretty solid at the back but really lack creativity and a goal scorer.

Game 8 - 22/05/10

Opposition: Petone

Venue: Neutral

Weather: Sunny and calm

Originally scheduled for a home game but terrible weather on Thursday and Friday saw the ground closed and the game was moved to a neutral game. More like an away game for us and home for them but it was another club's ground so officially neutral. Surprisingly a beautiful day for it although pretty wet and muddy.

It was a game of 3 penalties plus a stone wall one not given, and only 1 of them scored. Most controversial game I've ever been involved in.

We started with a very attacking left side, with a regular left winger without a defensive bone in his body at left back. We told him to give it 5 minutes to see what they were like before bombing up the field, but sure enough, first ball on the left and he was gone. This set a good trend for the day though as we absolutely killed them up the left all day.

A great ball over their right back from our left back on about 10 minutes sent our left winger through to fire into the top corner for a great goal. Minutes later they had a corner and the first piece of controversy. I got a punch in although not the best, there was a bit of a scramble outside the box and a shot was blasted towards goal and I made a pretty good save parrying away to the right. It wasn't cleared properly and another shot was blasted from the edge of the box. One of our midfielders jumped up with his arms in the air to block it and ended up making a pretty good save, but the most certain penalty the world has ever seen was not given.

To rub salt in, pretty much straight away we got up their end and got a handball penalty of our own which, from my end, looked like it was chested away. Another big argument, and our strikers then agreed it was no penalty so gave the ball to the keeper, but he wanted it taken as it was given. Eventually our striker just passed him the ball so it remained 1-0.

A few minutes later it was 2-0. Another good combination on the left sent our left winger away again and his low cross was turned in by our striker. 5 minutes to half time and penalty number 2 for handball, this time a clear punch from the defender. Our striker hit the post (not the one who deliberately missed the first), it came back to him and he tapped it in. But of course not allowed as someone else would have to touch it first. So 2-0 at half time but with the feeling that if they got 1 back it would be a real battle.

They started the half strongly although only gave me a couple of crosses and long balls to claim. After about 15 minutes we killed it off. Corner from the right and our left back scored a great goal with a half volley with the outside of his left foot going in via the post. Their keeper made several good saves to keep the score down, and they kept coming trying to get 1 back.

A breakaway from them down our left and a cross towards the back post brought a chance and I made a good block from the resulting half volley, gathering the loose ball afterwards. Then it was penalty number 3. The keeper made a good save and from the follow up rebound one of their defenders slid in at the near post making a good save himself. Finally this one was scored with the striker who deliberately missed blasting in.

There was time for one more save with a few minutes to go, with them getting a breakaway with our defenders caught forward. Guy came through 1 on 1 and I made a good save getting my right hand down to it. A good claim from a header from the resulting corner followed and it ended 4-0.

Very happy with another good performance and a clean sheet. The score probably flattered us a bit as they weren't bad. Decent coming forward but no real defence.

Think I'm in pretty close to the form of my life at the moment and I certainly feel more confident than I ever have. I've usually been a more nervous and hesitant type but suddenly this season despite having a season off last year I'm going into games in full confidence and genuinely believing I'll save whatever shot comes. Think 3 months of walking around Europe last year combined with the summer league and a lot of pre-season training has made me fitter and more agile than I've ever been and I've made 2 or 3 saves this season that I wouldn't have done before.

Have attached the table below. Clearly Western Suburbs are too good for this league. We remain 2nd and 2nd place and promotion looks there for the taking. We had a good 3-2 win over Olympic in my first game and that is a must win re-match next weekend. We are also desparately targeting the Tawa game as a win too as that was a very disappointing 2-1 loss last time around. We have to improve that result. Most disappointing was the 0-0 draw with Wellington United who are by far the worst team in the division, with that still being their only point. No more points can be dropped to them.

Basically every remaining game is winnable apart from Western Suburbs where we would be happy to get anything. A result shouldn't be impossible but that game is probably not as important as Olympic and Tawa.

League Table.bmp