Sign in to follow this  
invisibleman18

My Season

Sorry for the late update but nothing to report. Torrential rain all week last week saw all grounds closed and all matches postponed.

Been raining all week so far this week so it hasn't looked promising but it has cleared up now so if it remains ok the rest of today and tomorrow, we will hopefully go ahead on Saturday.

Another of our crunch games this weekend, away to Tawa.

Glad things have been going your way buddy. Since May, you mentioned that air of confidence you feel. Is it still with you? When you think about your up-and-coming matches?

Apologies for the lack of update.

Game 9 - 05/06/10

Opposition: Tawa

Venue: Away

Time: 12.30pm

Weather: Sunny

Sunny after a very rainy week. Ground pretty soft and muddy.

Really key game which we had to win having lost the home game 2-1 to them earlier in the season.

They started better and had most of the ball although didn't really test met. Few long balls to gather and goal kicks and things early on. Then for a period of about 20 minutes we were compeltely on top. Played completely in their half and there was one little spell where we had 5 or 6 corners and they couldn't get it away, but we couldn't score either.

Then just before half time one of our players lost the ball, they played a perfect long ball forward, the striker out paced our defender to get there and beat me to the ball too for a disappointing 0-1 at half time.

After that it was all us. We attacked the whole second half and their keeper made 3 or 4 excellent saves and we just couldn't score. It was very bad tempered aswell as their coach refereed the game saying he was a qualified ref, but he was terrible. A number of bad challenges from them went unpunished while some very soft tackles from us were called up every time. Things boiled over and I'm surprised there weren't fists flying towards the end.

Very hard loss to take and 2nd place will be a tough battle now.

Game 10 - 12/06/10

Opposition: Karori

Venue: Away

Time: 12.30pm

Weather: Windy but dry

Had to get back on track after the disappointing result last week.

We started well and had much of the early ball. I made 1 good claim from a cross, diving forward to catch well early on. That was pretty much all I did in the first half aside from a few goal kicks.

We took the lead about 15 minutes in. A short corner found one of our guys on the right of the box, and his attempted cross flew over the keeper and into the far top corner. We spent most of the half down their end and a couple more goals followed to lead 3-0 at half time (can't remember them in great detail).

That should have finished it but they started the 2nd half on fire and got one back early on. They broke down our right and I made a pretty good block btu unfortunately didn't know where the ball was once I'd landed and none of our defenders followed it in. More chances came but we managed to hold on before getting a penalty and sealing it 4-1.

There were a couple more chances for them late on, I got out quickly to smother a through ball and took a kick on the ear in the process, and made a pretty good late save sticking out a leg from point blank range after a cross found their striker in front of goal.

Disappointed as that one really should have been a clean sheet but I guess I should be happy I've had a couple this season as they have been quite rare achievements in recent years.

Glad things have been going your way buddy. Since May' date=' you mentioned that air of confidence you feel. Is it still with you? When you think about your up-and-coming matches?

[/quote']

Sorry I never replied to this, I haven only just seen it. Looks like you posted at the same time I was writing a match report so I never actually saw it. Yes it is still with me. For some reason I have felt great confidence all season and have really been looking forward to all matches and feeling confident I'll play well. It's strange because I've never really been like this before, I've generally usually been a more nervous "I hope I don't screw up" type of keeper, but for some reason this season I've been completely transformed in that respect.

Maybe it's partly due to playing so much football and doing so much training at a pretty good level before the season, or possibly because I was so fired up and determined before that first time I finally got on the pitch that I had a good game that day and it's just continued. I just started the season in good form and it's continued all the way through till now (with 4 or 5 games to go) rather than starting a bit dodgy and having to find form.

It's had an impact in me getting out more quickly and saving a lot more one-on-ones than I have done previously, I remember one comment from a team mate after a game saying "you're very solid with the one-on-ones, usually save them" and that's never really been true before. Shows that the skills are there and it's mostly a mental thing in making the quick decisions and just going for it and doing it.

My weakness has always been the dreaded goal kicks as I've never been able to get distance and usually leave them to defenders to take. But again this season when a guy who is good them is not on the pitch, or noone wants to take it etc I've just done it whereas in the past I would have been looking for someone to beg to take it fearing mine would go straight to the opposition striker and they'd score. My kicks when taken haven't been brilliant, but I've practiced and they've been better than recent years and while not exactly sailing deep into their half, they at least get in the air into an area where our midfield has a chance of winning the ball and that's the main thing.

Amazing difference your mindset can make.