GoalTender

Goalkeeping - Science vs luck

I don't know if you have read the recent blog post here -

http://blog.goalkeepertalk.com/news/goalkeeping-pseudo-science/

The acticle quotes from this page on the guardian site.

Like I said, it's someone who doesn't know the training aspect of goalkeepers but it does give food for thought.

How do you break down the 'goalkeeping personality' (and can it be taught)? Or is it luck of the draw?

read the link Goaltender and im going to say I think in an overall performance I think the cocky one would do better than a trained keeper that is quiet and lacks confidence.

I have seen many keepers trained and performing well in training.. go play matches and fail. I think having a cocky keeper is great thing. I could probably keep the score down less with my injury than my second keeper..

my reasons are;

1. I have a sense of control.. my defense know what I expect of them

2. I am loud mouthed and always talking to my defense letting them know where players are and the movements around them.

3. I feel a cocky keeper can be intimidating

4. cocky usually means full of confidence so he will not question himself when going into challenges or come out for crosses or so forth. I think id rather someone over commitee than get stuck in the middle and not sure what to do.

5. Also a keeper that is cocky or loudmouthed when conceding a goal wouldnt put his head down.. it wouldnt distract him if anything would make him try even harder.

In general I think you either have it or you dont. I think you need to have that atitude to be a keeper. not many great keepers out there that are nice and quiet, correct me if im wrong. I think you need to have that lucky charm thing going on, the cheeky smile.

I have to disagree with you once again, holiegoalie. I don't see how anyone could possibly say that a novice goalkeeper who is cocky would perform better than a trained goalkeeper who is low on confidence.

Contrary to what many people believe, there is a lot more to goalkeeping than standing in goal and saving shots. As you will all know, there is much, much more to goalkeeping than that, and you can not just throw some random cocky person in goal and expect him to perform better than your trained 'keeper.

Also, I disagree that you have the be cocky. Confident, yeah. But not cocky. A cocky person, generally, is a person who loves themselves and thinks they're great. Maybe we're thinking about the same thing, but we both use different words to describe it? In my opinion, Brian Jensen is a cocky 'keeper, from what I've seen of him in press conferences and on t.v. He seems to think he is great, when he is one of the worst goalkeepers I have ever seen, to be perfectly honest.

Anyway, to answer your original question, GoalTender, there is some luck involved in goalkeeping, but it is mainly based on skill and technique, and you can't throw any ol' fella in goal. I believe goalkeepers are special - in terms of personality and attitude. It takes a strong-minded person, who can handle pressure and criticism.

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore, and I'm starting to confuse myself, so I guess I'll stop now...

conor i agree completely. it takes a special person to be a goalkeeper not just any old gent. i would take a low on confidence well trained keeper over a cocky keeper any day. i can't stand cocky people and it just makes it harder for them to improve. confidence is important but so is skill, hard work, and training

well Id dissagree completely. lol as connor says in his chat about his games as so forth.. hes struggling to transfer between catching in warm up drills to doing it in shooting and crosses. its all about being able to believe in yourself..

I ask u, name on keeper whos nice and quiet in goals? I bet you cant. every goalli must be able to scream at there defense demand respect. you dont get that without being cocky, I think conor ur alittle young maybe to understand the difference between loving yourself and cocky. my opinion is someone who is loving thereself is over cocky. cocky is someone who knows hes good and wont allow anyone to say hes wrong. he doesnt care what other people think about him and as a keeper I think you need that. As a youth Ive seen myself stop playing because of the crap you get as a keeper and since Ive turned cocky I couldnt care!

Now im not saying I would take a random over a high level keeper, what im saying is you take a good keeper and compare him to a keeper whos just average.. that keeper who is average can be "better" than the good keeper.. if hes confident demanding and cocky. as he can give out orders and what not to his players infront of him.. a keeper who isnt confident isnt likely to be very talkative as a cocky keeper would.

its a bit like saying.. at a start of a game u give a keeper a well places shot but he saves it.. after that he will likely save everything because the striker gave the keeper the chance to get the 1 up on him and gives him a sense of confidence. if you have a keeper whos a bit cocky he will already start with that confidence in him.

i believe confidence is important very important in fact. and it is something that i struggle with and i think i have the potential to be a great keeper if i can fix that one point. so you are right confidence is very importatn but i don't think it is more important than training. i guess what i am getting at is you have to have a good balance of both.

yea of course didnt mean to bring accross that training isnt important! wow it is.. just a keeper thats not confident or cocky lol as i put it is pretty useless.. nervious to watch aswell

Both Van Der Sar and Cech, display calm and composure which breeds confidence in their defence, and they do this by communicating clearly and concisely, not by 'showboating' their ego's with inane rants.

The best goalkeepers don't make saves, they get their defence to do it for them.

That's a good point. There is a difference between cockiness and confidence.

Unfortunately not all keepers have the luxury of a good defence, which can lead to frustration (and no doubt some rants now and then!)