Sign in to follow this  
Legacy

Reading penalties.

ok so this is a thread for all goalkeepers and also players who would want to know what happens in the goal keepers mind on penalties!

I was at practice and we had a ex-pro running it, and he did this thing with me on how to read penalties. First off:

The run up: Where does the player start his run? Say he is a right footer, and say there is a clock around the ball, you being 6 pm. Say the player starts at around 1pm, it means he is going to shoot to the left (keepers right). If he starts at around 2-2:30pm, it means he will shoot right (keepers left). Be warned it doesnt mean he WILL shoot that way but it is statistics, it is harder for the player to shoot the other way if he starts in that postion ,ie. he starts at 1pm and shoots right, keepers left, cause the hip doesnt usually swing that way, but if he does its no problem because it is much harder to hit the target.

Hips: The hips are a main thing to look at when deciding your penalty but this is more advanced because you dont make your guess before the shoot, you make it half a second before, so your reflexes must be really good. The hip will always swing to the direction the player will shoot, so if you see the hip swinging toward the right thats where he will shoot, practice this a lot to get the hang of it, you dont even have to save it just sit in the middle of the net and have someone shoot penalties while you observe.

Landing foot: This is the best way to decide where the shooters is aiming but also the hardest, you must be very quick, and have great reflexes. Right before the player shoots, look at his landing foot and where its pointing, he will always point to the dierction he wants to go unless he forces himself to move it, but as soon as you see the foot point to a dierction your reflexes must kick in and jump to that area, because you wil have no time for anything else, the only time you have is the time it takes for his leg to swing.

Follow all these routines and you will be a huge favourtie to win the penalty battle. Here are some statistics that will help you in saving a penalty:

- In the 1998 World Cup players usually (70%) shot to the oppiste corner from their shooting foot, ie. a right footed player shot to his left (keepers right).

- A well struck penalty into the top self of the net is a 100% goal even if its a ameteur player vs a pro keeper.

- And players looking to fool keepers with these points above, only the really good and experinced keepers will know them, so you make the judgement.

Any Questions, dont hesitate to ask.

This article adds some info to the idea of reading the angle when it comes to goalies saving penalties. It's taken from http://www.bettersoccercoaching.com

Positioning tips for goalkeepers

Soccer coaching tips and tactics to get your young goalkeeper in the right position to make a save.

Always on the go

Before a goalkeeper even uses any part to touch the ball, they should be making constant adjustments to their position in relation to where the ball is on the field of play

I according to my all friend this is the best way to decide where the shooters is aiming but also the hardest, you must be very quick, and have great reflexes. Right before the player shoots, look at his landing foot and where its pointing, he will always point to the direction he wants to go unless he forces himself to move it, but as soon as you see the foot point to a direction your reflexes must kick in and jump to that area, because you will have no time for anything else, the only time you have is the time it takes for his leg to swing.

I according to my all friend this is the best way to decide where the shooters is aiming but also the hardest' date=' you must be very quick, and have great reflexes. Right before the player shoots, look at his landing foot and where its pointing, he will always point to the direction he wants to go unless he forces himself to move it, but as soon as you see the foot point to a direction your reflexes must kick in and jump to that area, because you will have no time for anything else, the only time you have is the time it takes for his leg to swing.

[/quote']

haha...i remember typing something very similar to that on expertfootball.com.

But yes that is also a good way to read penalties.

ok so this is a thread for all goalkeepers and also players who would want to know what happens in the goal keepers mind on penalties!

I was at practice and we had a ex-pro running it, and he did this thing with me on how to read penalties. First off:

The run up: Where does the player start his run? Say he is a right footer, and say there is a clock around the ball, you being 6 pm. Say the player starts at around 1pm, it means he is going to shoot to the left (keepers right). If he starts at around 2-2:30pm, it means he will shoot right (keepers left). Be warned it doesnt mean he WILL shoot that way but it is statistics, it is harder for the player to shoot the other way if he starts in that postion ,ie. he starts at 1pm and shoots right, keepers left, cause the hip doesnt usually swing that way, but if he does its no problem because it is much harder to hit the target.

Hips: The hips are a main thing to look at when deciding your penalty but this is more advanced because you dont make your guess before the shoot, you make it half a second before, so your reflexes must be really good. The hip will always swing to the direction the player will shoot, so if you see the hip swinging toward the right thats where he will shoot, practice this a lot to get the hang of it, you dont even have to save it just sit in the middle of the net and have someone shoot penalties while you observe.

Landing foot: This is the best way to decide where the shooters is aiming but also the hardest, you must be very quick, and have great reflexes. Right before the player shoots, look at his landing foot and where its pointing, he will always point to the dierction he wants to go unless he forces himself to move it, but as soon as you see the foot point to a dierction your reflexes must kick in and jump to that area, because you wil have no time for anything else, the only time you have is the time it takes for his leg to swing.

Follow all these routines and you will be a huge favourtie to win the penalty battle. Here are some statistics that will help you in saving a penalty:

- In the 1998 World Cup players usually (70%) shot to the oppiste corner from their shooting foot, ie. a right footed player shot to his left (keepers right).

- A well struck penalty into the top self of the net is a 100% goal even if its a ameteur player vs a pro keeper.

- And players looking to fool keepers with these points above, only the really good and experinced keepers will know them, so you make the judgement.

Any Questions, dont hesitate to ask.

I had a great article on this a view years ago from the FA coaches supplement were data was supplied from major tournaments which showed favoured targets for right and left footed players. I'll try a dig it up.

I had a great article on this a view years ago from the FA coaches supplement were data was supplied from major tournaments which showed favoured targets for right and left footed players. I'll try a dig it up.

That would be good mate