i have just been watching chelsea academy throughout this season and i the academy goalkeeper is 6'6 and hes 17. how do academy keepers get so tall.

a recommendation would help alot but they mainly ask for your football cv

what exercises or food can increase height

To be honest, height is natural. Eating the right foods may help but it's not going to drastically make you any taller. I'm around six-foot and I've just turned fifteen. Take my advice, stop worrying about what you can't change, and work on what you can make better.

Also, just because you write to Chelsea doesn't mean they will send you scouts to watch you. You've got to understand that all professional clubs receive countless emails and letters asking for trials and the like. Before you even bother contacting a professional club, I'd recommend getting onto your regional representative side. If you're on that, clubs may take your application more seriously. Also sending a video of you training or playing a match would increase your chances.

I'm 5'10 and i wish i was taller. I had a guy from our local non-league side say to me, i'd sign you on if you was taller. It really knocked my confidence.

I was reading 'The Science of Soccer' and here's a diagram from it referring to the average height of Premiership footballers.

281ar8x.jpg

I'd be interested to see other countries and if they are similar.

my lads just been released from Chelsea, after 5 years.

always got good reports, bone tested to be 6 foot 2 inches and told that technically excellant.

but as a young (August baby) U13 not tall enough so despite signing for next year been told thanks but no thanks.

Treated terribly by the club and would recommend no young goalkeeper gets sucked in by the cobhams bright lights and goes there !!!

Sorry to hear that has happened curridgelad. How's your lad taken it?

The positive thing is there is still plenty of years ahead of him.

Really well, very grown up about it. He has always been aware that rejection would be encountered at some point and maybe more than once that having seen a lot of lads rleased over the last 5 years.

Looking like he will be signed up for next season and think that being a bigger fish in a smaller pool may as a keeper be better than a small fish in a big pond !

1.95cm and im 15 the funny thing is our goal keeper coach at my club hates the fact that I can touch the crossbar without jumping and he can barely touch it at all.

I'm 5'10 and i wish i was taller. I had a guy from our local non-league side say to me' date=' i'd sign you on if you was taller. It really knocked my confidence.

[/quote']

Same story here man, it's more or less a tradition for me to hear the opponents say 'the goalie is short, shoot high' before every game. I try to compensate training my jumping technique and low shots are a piece of cake for me.

Im 5 foot 5!

You really 5'5"? Makes me think of the legendary Jorge Campos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Campos

Paul,

I got a question for you.

I remember reading you mentioned about your ability to jump compensates for height (which is obviously the case for a lot of goalkeepers). My question is, did you explicitly work harder on techniques to improve your spring than other keepers may have who are taller? Or would you say it was/is pretty much standard goalkeeping training you've always done.

Was your height in goals a motivator to work harder OR did/does it not even register with you?

My own personal opinion is at any decent level 6ft is a minimum. This is soley due to the amount of high cross balls that are put in games at quality levels, as well as the size of the other players. If you look down the leagues, how many goalkeepers are actually under 6ft? Not many at all. As GKPaul pointed out about jumping, while I agree with this, it would be hard to maintain through 90 mins if it was a one sided game, sometimes natural size is better than manufactured size, ie jumping, just because of fitness etc, the energy you use in games for jumping could be used for the saves you need to make at a crucial time instead of struggling by lack of height?

In my day to day life I meet loads of keepers through React, and most of them are always well over 6ft, this may be pro keepers or semi pro, or even park keepers.

This is a very personal topic and no body will ever agree as its about ones personal opinion, but that is just mine.

Mike

@React There are a lot of goalkeepers under 6 ft. Here are a few: Campos, Canizares, Janot, Barthez and Coupet, to name a few. I know they're rare but don't forget that a lot of goalkeepers aren't as tall as their billed height. A friend of mine has played with Casillas from Spain and he used to be billed at 6'1". My friend used to tell me that this was not true and look at Casillas' billed height now? It's 5'11".

What I'm trying to say is that looks can be deceiving. I personally haven't had a lot of troubles with my height, except from that one scout who told me I was too short to become a good goalkeeper. Luckily I never really had aspirations to go far with goalkeeping but it does hurt to hear someone judge you about something you really really really can't do anything about.

Interesting topic this, I've just joined and was reading through a few topics. I myself am just under 6ft and always had the typical short comments from people. It doesn't bother me to be honest but pretty much sums up the trend that goal keepers must be 6ft plus. Don't forget the greatest keeper I've seen and my hero is the mighty Andy Goram, who was a puny 5'11. And amazing. Has been stated on many occasions he won Rangers the league single handed many times, (by the way I'm not a Rangers fan, just want to make that clear) height is only an issue if you can't over come it, Casillas

and Given are two keepers who aren't exactly tall but lets be honest, are awesome. So don't let anyone put you off because you're not a 6ft + keeper.

As for crosses, well, that