i'm 5'8!

:)

honestly even though having the extra height might help with dealing with crosses and such, what's important is that you must have a good ability to judge the flight of the ball, being to the ball first before the opposing striker does and good positioning and the most important thing is that you must have the confidence and courage to put your body on the line and pluck the ball out of the air. You can see alot of pro goalies who might be 6"+ but are terrible when dealing with crosses or high balls. Its all in the mind..If you think you can deal with them high balls i think the lack of height shouldn't be an issue at all. (:

im 6ft4 and am decent on crosses :)

that just means its harder to get down to shots in fairness, but then my reach is also helped, its a win lose situation

but im still growing ;D

i think im just gonna go on the weights and break some strikers :)

@React There are a lot of goalkeepers under 6 ft. Here are a few: Campos' date=' Canizares, Janot, Barthez and Coupet, to name a few. I know they're rare but don't forget that a lot of goalkeepers aren't as tall as their billed height. A friend of mine has played with Casillas from Spain and he used to be billed at 6'1". My friend used to tell me that this was not true and look at Casillas' billed height now? It's 5'11".

What I'm trying to say is that looks can be deceiving. I personally haven't had a lot of troubles with my height, except from that one scout who told me I was too short to become a good goalkeeper. Luckily I never really had aspirations to go far with goalkeeping but it does hurt to hear someone judge you about something you really really really can't do anything about.

[/quote']

Well to be fair mate, the keepers ive met, and thats a fair few (not just React keepers either) and they are not billed taller! Our own Cam Belford is billed at 5,8 on Bury's website, but let me assure you hes a sold 6ft and built like a brick s##t house! I would say 95% of the keepers ive stood next to have been at least 6ft2, and im a solid 6ft3 so can tell.

Like I said its a personal subject but in todays age, clubs want a tall goalkeeper, just due to the change in play with the amount of high balls etc. To be fair, I cant think of one keeper in the premiership who is under 6ft1 and struggle to think of any in the championship or league 1 either? Correct me if I am wrong.

p.s before the shay given height crops up, I have met shay on numerous occasions and he is 6ft1 easy.

i have also seen this lad at chelsea and he is a big lad at 17, the under 15 keeper there is 6.4,my nipper has been up there for a while now on trial and he is 13 and just under 6.1 in bare feet ,they do like the height and have quite strict criterea on it.they have a machine which measures youre bone in your wrist to predict your height when you are fully grown and if you will not be above 6.3 by the time you stop growing you will probably be released (crazy but thats there criterea ,doesnt mean its everyone elses)my son used to train with a young lad who was at saints he was the best young goalkeeper i have seen ,but saints let him go at 11 years old becuase of his height ,they did want to look at his family but his mum and dad were also not much over the 5ft mark.Most Prem clubs are looking at height now as their attitude is they can teach technique but they cannot train height .everything has changed towards goalkeeping in the last few years ,most are taught now to play out from the back and so the clubs are looking for keepers who are good with there feet not just a shot stopper the attitude has deffinatley changed towards keepers and how important they are now and the training is just as intense as the outfeild players.

tom, my son is taller than me so dont worry about your parents hieght.at 11 you have plenty of time ,my lad had a growth spurt at 12 and is going through another one now.so dont worry .if your at an acadamy now your in the right place for coaching .although my lad is tall we have found it almost impossible to get him coaching up until now ,so he is behind in his technique and it shows against the other goalkeepers who are shorter.

Im 14 at the moment and measure at 5 ft 9. Im just starting to get the "height would be nice" comments both my parents are 5 ft 7 so its not looking good for me :L

In all fairness, that is tall enough for fourteen. You're still going to grow...

Im 14 at the moment and measure at 5 ft 9. Im just starting to get the "height would be nice" comments both my parents are 5 ft 7 so its not looking good for me :L

You are plenty young enough and have time to grow. My Mom is 5'2" and Dad is 5'9" and I ended up 6'2". So you can't always judge by that. Just make sure your technique is sound and you will be fine. Height doesn't make you a good goalkeeper.

• Upvote 1

6'3 and still growing. Find that a lot of coaches show interest in me because I'm tall, and have the potential to get taller. In saying that I was useless from crosses last year because my technique was all wrong. My goalkeeping coach is a fantastic keeper, and got trials over in England, and I'd hazard a guess at him being 5'9, 5'10. He's a good head height under me but reaches every part of the goal because of his leap and technique. I don't think that height should hamper you too much (Besides extreme cases of course) and if you're willing to put in the work at the gym and work on yer technique then you should make up for your height. A good coach will always have a look at you in spite of your height (In my experience anyways)

As a coach who know's quite a few fellow coaches at the likes of Leeds Utd, Sheff Utd and Man City, clubs these days tend to be looking for GKs at least 6ft 2inch, sometimes even taller. I know of one 15yr old who is 6ft 4inch tall. Having said that, clubs will always take a GK who is just 6 ft and technically excellent, again, I am aware of this following discussions with a coach I know at a Premier League club. The lad involved had been released because he was not tall enough in previous clubs eyes. He now has a 3 year contract.

I'm 16 and 6'3... bit more growing to do...

I was small when i was in year 7... tallest in the year by the time i left school! :lol:

I am 5'9" and have been since I was 13 - I remember all the scouts saying when I was a 12/13yr old centre half playing for county that I would be a 6'8" monster by the time I was 21... but alas, my body just stopped growing lol!

So yeah, 5'9" and now a keeper - but it doesn't affect me at all being a 'short' keeper. I actually find it helps in a lot of ways. I constantly get down to the low shots that my vertically challenged 6ft+ friends maybe couldn't get too - and touch wood, I haven't been beaten due to my size as yet. No lobs, no missed crosses etc...

Height is just a one small element of your game as a keeper

Thought I would express my opinion on this as I've always had my height mentioned when I tell people I'm a goalkeeper.

I'm 22 years old and 5'9", I personally believe it all comes down to confidence and that height doesn't matter, especially with cross balls. For me it's simple, the cross comes in and you feel confident about making it - you scatter everybody infront of you and make sure you get the ball (timing your leap of course). And if you don't feel confident with the cross coming in, stay on your line! Don't even think about your height!

Confidence Is Key!

a recommendation would help alot but they mainly ask for your football cv

what exercises or food can increase height

none whatsoever, its all down to genetics, if your parents are tall then generally you will be. or u could try being stretched but it wont work. Nor will extra long studs