barwonarmy

Any superstitions you have?

Does anyone here have any superstitions (dont care if spelled wrong) for when there in goal.

I do its I punch the post once with each hand then kick the post with each foot once then slap the post the same way as the previous two then tap the cross bar forwards and backwards then do the same to the other post then the same to the other post lol.

I just dont feel right without doing it.

Also this is my first post lol.

Not really superstitions just routines. I go to the far left of the goal jump and touch the crossbar, go to the middle jump and touch crossbar, and go to the right jump and touch the crossbar. I listen to certain songs before the game. Always dress from right to left. Can't really think of many others right now, but I have tons. I am a very routine and picky person.

I don't have any superstitions or anything, but I do always put my towel and water bottle in the right-hand side of the goal. That's it really, and that's just something I've always done.

I touch the top of the 18 yard box when I run in before the whistle and run to the centre of my goal side skip to the left (always left first) touch the post side skip to the right touch the post side skip to the middle and touch the crossbar and run to the penalty dot and touch it

I tend to sidestep the whole goalline, then come back half of it and mark the centre spot of the goalline.

Not sure if this counts as a superstition but it sure helps with positioning :D

Quite a lot!

Dress Left to right (socks, boots, gloves)

Water next to the right post

before each kickoff tap the cross bar twice (in one jump) then stand feet sholder width apart and wait for reffs whistle, then touch goal line and jump out the net.

After a save and the ball has left my half, touch which ever post is nearest.

:blush:

Before any game I go to each goalpost and tap each twice with each foot. Four touches left right left right. Remember they save our ass alot of the time.

When I was younger I used to have loads.

From sitting in a certain place in the changing room, putting my right boot on first and the best was touching the bar, posts and ground in an imaginary cross (and I am not even catholic) how mad is it.

Now I am old I gave all that up and realised that nothing can help me anymore.

Towel always goes in the net on the left side of the goal, about half way up the net.

Also, just as we/or the opponents are about to kick off, "Come on ______ straight into them!"

No don't what it counts as, but every game!

Towel always goes in the net on the left side of the goal, about half way up the net.

Also, just as we/or the opponents are about to kick off, "Come on ______ straight into them!"

No don't what it counts as, but every game!

Can I just ask you when you have your towel in the goal do you get the feeling strikers use it as a target. I have never used one but I always thought that was the impression I got rightly or wrongly.

I had tons!!! Lol!!!

When I was younger, I always wore the same t-shirt under my top, even if it wasn't washed from the previous game! I'd always put my t-shirt on first, then my shorts, then shin pads from left to right and then socks from left to right. I'd never have my gloves on in the changing room, nor my top. My top wouldn't go on until I had done my warm up. Gloves go on as I'm warming up. All this came from a pre-season I had, which I was immense in, and helped the team win it too.

Before the game kicks off, I'd jump up and hang from the bar. Hang there for two seconds, then hang from it with one arm, then drop down, walk to the six yard line, feet together, reach down to my toes three times, come up and jump up bringing my knees to my chest three times. I'd repeat this at the penalty spot and the 18 yard line. Water bottle goes in the right hand side as well!!!

Every time we score, I'd come back to the penalty spot and do my 3 stretches and 3 jumps again.

God, now that I've wrote this down, I realise I'm a weirdo!!! Lol!!!

This thread proves two things

1 - Us goalkeeper are a strange bunch and will use anything to help.

2 - That if we are mentally rightly then we play at our best.

I believe I play better when I've got 13 on my back. I also put my shin pads on left to right, and gloves right to left. I also tend to clap once after I make a save, but that one confuses me, haha.

Yeah I tend to refer to them as routines. But i've got loads of them.

They inlude:

No drinking milk on the morning before matches

not putting on any kit im going to wear during the match on the way to the ground (base layers etc.)

Soaking my gloves the night before and leaving them to dry till the morning

Listening to certain songs

only putting on my contact lenses at the ground

putting the left contact lens before the right one

not putting on my shin pads during the warm up

only drinking plain water before the match

I used to have a few more but I kinda retired them as they felt kinda stupid. But yeah these are just some of the routines i go through before a match.

I kiss my hands and touch every post with them. Every post gets a kiss by both hands. It saved me a LOT. Always do that and always the post saved me in crucial moments :)

Hm, not really superstitions but....

At the beginning of each season, I designate which two jerseys will be my home jerseys and which will be my away ones. I wear the same socks every match, same shinguards, same cleats, same pants. When on the road, I wear a crucifix. I listen to certain songs before the match. I always run to the middle of the goal line and kneel down and recite the lord's prayer. Shuffle from post to post three times. Jump up and touch the crossbar left, centre, right. Clap my hands and get ready for the whistle.