Sign in to follow this  
Simo

Hello All.

Hi guys,

I signed up earlier after I came accross this site, very nice.

I dont play full 11 a side like most of you, but i do play for 3 6-a-side teams (althought its not a big deal I still take it seriously) on a monday, tuesday and wednesday. Iam only 17, and after one of the teams I play for lost their goalkeeper, I thought i'd give it a bash, as when I was little I used to have keeper training (when I was like 7) althought ive always played in Center Mid (For eight years, for my local team). Ive been playin in goal now for about 4 months or so for 6 a side, and I really enjoy it, I feel that im getting better and better every game and been playing really well :) After playing for one of the teams in goal, the other two teams soon wanted my to play in goal, so thats what I did.

Being as I only play 6 a side iam faced with alot of one-on-one situations, at the moment i run out as fast as I can, make myself big and just try to guess the way they will go, or dive on the ball. I couldnt find any tips on the internet? anyone got any useful tips? I had a game last night where i managed to save 3 one on one situations in one game! and that was easily the best performance ive ever had in 6 a side, so im definately improving.

I hope to actually try to make a move from 6 a side, to 11 a side for a proper team, as (without being big headed) I feel im very good in 6 a side games (although 11 a side is completely different)

thanks.

Lewis

Hi guys' date='

I signed up earlier after I came accross this site, very nice.

I dont play full 11 a side like most of you, but i do play for 3 6-a-side teams (althought its not a big deal I still take it seriously) on a monday, tuesday and wednesday. Iam only 17, and after one of the teams I play for lost their goalkeeper, I thought i'd give it a bash, as when I was little I used to have keeper training (when I was like 7) althought ive always played in Center Mid (For eight years, for my local team). Ive been playin in goal now for about 4 months or so for 6 a side, and I really enjoy it, I feel that im getting better and better every game and been playing really well :) After playing for one of the teams in goal, the other two teams soon wanted my to play in goal, so thats what I did.

Being as I only play 6 a side iam faced with alot of one-on-one situations, at the moment i run out as fast as I can, make myself big and just try to guess the way they will go, or dive on the ball. I couldnt find any tips on the internet? anyone got any useful tips? I had a game last night where i managed to save 3 one on one situations in one game! and that was easily the best performance ive ever had in 6 a side, so im definately improving.

I hope to actually try to make a move from 6 a side, to 11 a side for a proper team, as (without being big headed) I feel im very good in 6 a side games (although 11 a side is completely different)

thanks.

Lewis

[/quote']

Welcome to the forum Lewis :). Thanks for joining.

Sounds like things are going well for you. What are the dimensions of the goal for the 6 a side you play?

Ask yourself where you concede the most goals? There's no point taking on board tips and adjustments to areas of your game you are excellent at. Which game scenarios cause the most bother for you?

And 1v1 for 11 a side is very different. If I were you, I would consider taking the first step possible to move to 11-a-side. Sounds like you could do with step up and carry that momentum you've got.

Hi thanks for the welcome :)

The goals that I play in for 6 a side are the long but low ones. I'll get some practice in with full 11 a side goals first before I attempt to join a team.

I personally hate those goals! Good practise for keeping your centre of gravity low. It will be interesting to hear how you find the transition into the big goals. Most keepers do it at a younger age and grow up with 11-a-side, so it will be interesting!

You considered goalkeeping coaching or will it just be down the park with friends?

I guess coaching is a possibility, but I wouldnt know where to start. I guess id feel out of place if I was training with other lads who've been playing in goal for years.

And as I say, from U8s until U17's I played in centre mid, shame I diddnt try playing in goal erlier as it would have been alot easier to make the transition.

I also had another game tonight and noticed something, when iam expecting a shot, and I take my stance, as I see them about to hit the ball I self-conciously without thinking about it do a little two footed hop (sounds weird) I need to stop doing that because it can sometimes put me on the back foot.

I guess coaching is a possibility' date=' but I wouldnt know where to start. I guess id feel out of place if I was training with other lads who've been playing in goal for years.

And as I say, from U8s until U17's I played in centre mid, shame I diddnt try playing in goal erlier as it would have been alot easier to make the transition.

[/quote']

The best goalkeeper I have worked with didn't start playing in goals till he was 15/16. He had played in defence since he was a little kid. If anything, you may be at an ADVATAGE because MANY goalkeepers at your age I see struggling with their first touch and passing as it has been neglected. They focused too much on their hands. Goalkeepers make more touches with their feet than their hands during an 11-a-side game, you've got the skills :)

I also had another game tonight and noticed something' date=' when iam expecting a shot, and I take my stance, as I see them about to hit the ball I self-conciously without thinking about it do a little two footed hop (sounds weird) I need to stop doing that because it can sometimes put me on the back foot.

[/quote']

Without training, it may be a little tricky to get out of that habit. If you start adjusting yourself into a new position or new method during a match, it could cost you goals. Get yourself someone to hit a dozen footballs at you and plant yourself on the ground and consciously avoid hopping. See what results you get.

And another thing, the one place you CAN make mistakes is with a goalkeeping coach during training. Mistakes are just opportunities to learn. Better to do it with someone who knows what they are talking about than in the middle of a match right?

Thanks for the tips :)

So, how much would a regular coaching session set me back roughly?

At the moment iam only training with myself in my back garden, Kicking the ball against a wall either side and making dives, lately I have been concentrating on my cardiovascular fitness mostly though.

Are there many coaching sessions in the west midlands area?

There are coaches floating about these forums who definitely know their stuff. Also try a google search if you haven't already. I've found prices can vary dramatically. From

Thanks for all the info,

Ive looked around for a while on google, but cant find anything close enough for me (as iam only just learning to drive). I'll definately do some more training, and keep my eye out for any teams looking for a keeper, not heard of any needing one yet though.

Haha, thought i would dig this out! played my first league 11 a side game today!!!,

Clean sheet with a 4-0 win, we won 4-0 and I didn't really have much to do, they only had about 4, 5 shots on target, but i made a couple of one on one saves! :)

Seeing as im playing full 11 a side now, Sunday league ill be around on here a lot more! :)