Sign in to follow this  
rexx the cat

One last hurrah ( final playing season, probably,match results and reports).

good evening everyone, just thought i'd start a thread about what is probably going to be my last playing season (tho i did say that last year and have been persuaded to dig out the gloves again), anyway season starts tomorrow, and i will be playing for wake green 3rds in the birmingham afa, last season played for the 4ths and won managers player of the year trophy.

i was hoping that i might be able to play my way into the seconds at least, but due to a couple of niggles and a stint in hospital, haven't been able to play any friendlys to show off my abilities, except for the other night when i was expecting to get at least 45mins under my belt, but unfortunately one of the oposition players suffred a nasty injury and the game was cut short due to waiting for an ambulance, so 20 mins was all i got, fieled a couple of crosses from deep, and a couple of long shots with ease, only to concede to a long range free kick in the last minute.

it was a good strike to be fair and allthough i got a good hand on it was unable to prevent it from nestling into the bottom right hand corner, it was quite dark by this point and i didn't see the ball till it got past the wall.

so 3rds is it, hopefuly i'll get some chance during the season to claim the number 1 spot for the seconds or maybe even the firsts you never know gotta aim high, but for now i'll be giving my all to my new team.

will be wearing sells aqua wrap, i love the feel of this glove and am lucky enough to have a pair from last year, 2-4-1 offer, cause i'm gutted at the premium price this glove now demands.

am currently in the market for a new pair or roll finger gloves,any reccomendations will be appreciated especially of the lesser know brand names as i'm a little wary about trying these.

right then fingers crossed i'm off for a beer and a kebab' ( i wish),more likely a glass of coke zero and a fishfinger sarnie with red sauce.

speak soon rexx.

How did your your season start? Also what sort of training do you have with your team during the week?

As for the lesser brands for roll finger gloves, I have had a good experience with the React Ultima roll fingers. There's a review floating about in the review section of the forum.

How did your your season start? Also what sort of training do you have with your team during the week?

As for the lesser brands for roll finger gloves' date=' I have had a good experience with the React Ultima roll fingers. There's a review floating about in the review section of the forum.

[/quote']

hi, well a lttle later than i intended due to work commitments but here is how my season started...

sat 4th sept,

bag packed, boots all polished and shiny, gloves whiter than white fresh out the pack, ready to go.

well about an hour before kick off the nerves kick in, i'm always nervous before a game so no big deal really , to be honest always find i play well when i'm nervous, helps me focus i guess.

get to the ground about 45 minutes before kick off to get changed and warmed up. handling felt good ans assured as only a new pair of gloves can do. trying to get to know the name sof my back 3 as not seen some of the faces before, all sorted instructions for corners,freekicks agreed and we're off.

wakegreen v crusconians

great start for wakes as inside 2 minutes we're 1 nil up, long throw into the box big simon upfront flicks it on and the keepers beaten at his near post, crusconians kick off again and after 15mins or so start to find their game, good movement and passing with plenty of options starts to cause us problems our midfield getting overrun and its not long before i'm forced into my first save of the season,down quickly to my right to hold on to a shot from about 12 yards out. our lack of height in midfield makes it difficult to win the high balls and with our wide men not tucking in were not able to get a foothold in this game. crusconians are passing us to death their movement and pace upfront causing our older not so mbiule back three havoc. after a short spell of wkes pressure we get the second, against the run of play if i'm honest, penalty for hand ball, tucked away nicely by simon for his second of the game. shortly after crusconians are back in it a visiuous shot from the edge of the area see the ball moving all ovewr the place and dios just under the cross bar, 2-1( little dissapointed as it was straight at me but beaten by the power and movement). 10 mins later the 2 goal cushion is restored a cross come shot sails over their keeper only to hit the far post and into the net, hat trick for simon, jammy bugger. 7 mins of injury time is to be played and with just seconds remaining the deficit is back down to 1. neat through ball and am unable to do anything about the placed shot into the right hand corner. heads are down what a gutting time to concede, especially as the ref blows for halftime just seconds later.

second half.

crusconians come out with their tails up and soon have us on the back foot, some of our younger lads seem shellshocked and cant get into the game at all. i fear the worst, we mange to keep them at bay for 20 mins or so then a long ball drops over the defence and once again not able to do anything aboiut the goal, maybe should have been off my line quicker but didn't expect a 40n yard ball to drop over the defendes head, the arguments have started, after that its one way traffic as we cling on for our lives.

but its not enough and we go behind after a sustained spell of pressure, corner after corner and then the ball is cleared to the edge of the box a shot comes in, a low curling shot aimed for the left bottom corner i scramble across and get down only to see the ball bounce right infront of my outstreched arms. my instant reaction is to raise my elbow, and succeed in getting a block onto the ball only to lose sight of it as it bounces up of my arm, their forward is quickest to react and slides the ball under me as i try to block the follow up shot. then with 2 mins to go our defence sliced open once more and i'm left 1 on 1 as the attacker bears down on goal john gets a toe in only to see the player tumble and earn himself a red card, free kick edge of the box curled into the top corner, never got near it. 3-5 final score. massive dissapointment and a lot self analysis follows.

personally i felt i had a good first half, in all areas of my game, second standards were noy as high but, i think that may well have been down to the sustained pressure and lack of confidence in my defence and yteam as a whole. not a good start

rexx

Like that write up rexx.

Sounds a bit like our game yesterday, we are going through a really bad patch at the moment were we're playing really good football, but not taking chances or killing teams off.

I feel as if i'm playing well myself at the moment, and its a gutting feeling when you make a save only for defenders not to react - it happened to me yesterday, and has done a few times this year.

Just wondering how old you are if you're thinking of packin in???

Like that write up rexx.

Sounds a bit like our game yesterday' date=' we are going through a really bad patch at the moment were we're playing really good football, but not taking chances or killing teams off.

I feel as if i'm playing well myself at the moment, and its a gutting feeling when you make a save only for defenders not to react - it happened to me yesterday, and has done a few times this year.

Just wondering how old you are if you're thinking of packin in???

[/quote']

cheers fitzy, it's nice to know people read what i 've written.

i'm 36 soon to be 37, and to be honest it's no so much my age but generall wellbeing, the years have taken their toll on my knees and joints in general, finding it harder to recover after games now 2-3 days after a some harder games.

plus family commitments and work make commiting to play every week difficult. i'm just taking it season by season at the moment.

how long have you been playing fitzy ?

Im 28, been playing in goals since I was 11. Feels like a long time!!!

I hear ya about the knees and ankles thing, my right ankle is very weak and I have to wear ankle supports, or my ankle gives way when I kick. It feels as if the ligament is permanently strained... Reckon im gonna need ankle replacements when im 50 or so, maybe even before.

I think you have done well playing until now, some of the teams we play against have got shit-hot strikers that are 17/18, and I may be bigger, stronger and louder they are just soooo quick!

We've got a forward, Pato, (not the one that plays for Milan tho :D ) and he's a couple of years older than you, and I reckon this will be his last season. He's constantly carrying injuries, and muscles seem to pull as soon as he chases something down. I think a big thing for him though is family. He's got 2 kids and his Mrs works sundays so it can be a nightmare for him.

Me and the Mrs have got an 8 month old ourselves, and I suppose im gonna have to get my priorities in check sooner rather than later. I packed in 7-a-side on a friday for a while, but started again for pre-season. Her indoors wasnt hapopy bout that! Oh well.

Since my groin had its torture (aka acupunture) I feel fitter and stronger than I have done in a while, and touch wood, it wont be flaring up anytime soon. Think ive got a few years left in me yet, but once Josh gets to football-team age im sure ill be hangin up my gloves to enjoy time watching him bang them in for Liverpool :@

hey fitzy, had the same treatment on my groin, i'd had physio, tried rest all of the ususal stuff but the acupuncture seemed to do the trick, and to be honest didn't find it painfull at all, was really sore the day after treatment but after a few treatments feels great, little bit tight now and again but otherwise fine.

it is hard finding time to play with having a family, especially as we do a fair bit of travelling in our league and the missus just dont understand the social side of it as well, theres nothing like having a drink and a chat with your mates after a hard game, she just expects me to come straight home, this can lead to a few rows but i've been playing now for 24 years and its a bit like a drug, try as i might i just cant give it up.

match days 2 and 3.

i get my ususal txt on wed informing me i'm in the squad for the 3rds, and were away, then on fri get a call fron the manager of the 2nds saying i was needed for this weeks game, this pleases me as i have friends in the second's an it's a step up a couple of divisions, more my standard i believe.

have to work on the mornig of the game so make my own way yhere, have a bit of trouble finding the ground, but get there in good time, the changing rooms are the smallest i've ever used and are roasting hot like a sauna, just not enough room for everyone but we cope. funnily enough we're playing the a side of the team we played last week, previously relegated from the prem last season.

we start off steady but the system doesn't suit us, 4-3-3, they have 5 in midfield and were getting overrun, not long and we're behind, they double up on our left backl and from the overlap they fire in a low cross along the edge of the six ard box, the attacker gets there just before the defender and fires in at the near post. no chance.

we regroup and battle well but the extra men in midfield take control again and the secon is a carbon copy of the first, this time through my legs, damn. were 2-0 down and looking a bit shell shocked, i have to save a few shots from distance and a 1 on 1 that comes off my face and out for a corner. once again they break down the left and this time a whipped in cross is met by the same striker with a firm header, diving away to my left i manage to push it out to safety, it was a good height and close but was firmly headed. good reactions.half time

we regroup for the second half and although we get more possesion we cant create anything of note, then the killer third after about 70 mins, long high ball that bounces over the defs head off the firm surface, still plenty of time to clear the danger but two of them get in each others way and the striker nips in with a speculative lob, i'm way off my line waiting for the headed back pass and frantically back peddle but have lost my bearings slightly and the ball drops over my outstreched arm and into the net.

more posession but with little impact, and then a fourth as we push on, midfielder runs into the box with the ball and as the defender tries to get a toe in he cathces the player first, penalty.

go the wrong way and its 4.

full time.

felt i had a good solid game, and hope i did enough to keep my place despite conceeding 4.

match day 3

still with the 2nds so happy days.

home game against sutton, always a bit of niggle in these ones.

back to 4-4-2 and it suits us better, we compete well all over the park and restrict them to long range efforts, tho struggle to create chances of our own, it's a first half of little not, then with 2 mins to go they score a pass into the forwards feet and he runs into the box with the ball, a heavy touch and i see my chance, i start to go down but he stretches and gets a jammy scuff on the ball as he tris to control it, which wrong foots me and trickles into the net, despite the best efforts of our c/half who tries to clear it off the line.

half time.

postive words at half time and we come out with our heads high,

we start well a couple of half chances are created but none test the keeper, then the killer second they have a corner and despite my repeated calls, i can see a free man on the edge of the box, he gets a free run and the corner picks him out perfectly as he crashes a header in off the underside of the bar. we pick ourselves up and once again take control, the chances are coming and with a bit of composure we could be back in it, then the breakthrough a bit of a scramble but finally prodded home, they start to sit back and we pile on the pressure, we create four or five good chances hitting the cross bar and missing a couple of sitters, just not our day.

full time 1-2.

agian a good solid game, handling excellent, comms good, and no chance with either of the goals.

wore my new react ultima roll finger today and was reall impressed with the comfort, grip and durability of the glove, will update glove review after each game.