Sign in to follow this  
Fat Russian

Bonj

Hi, chaps,

I am a 30-year-old 'keeper at Old Meadonians FC who play on Saturdays in the Amateur Football Combination (London). I also play in a university old boys' league on Sundays.

Currently out with a broken leg (snapped it in half in February) but looking to come back in mid-October. Coming here to have a look for some more advice on rehab, training, shinnies and any potential problems I might face in the coming season (it's the kicking leg, you see).

Regards,

Sash

Hi Sash' date='

Sorry to hear about the broken leg! Painful experience I imagine. How did it happen?

Thanks for joining :)

[/quote']

Thank you for the welcome.

The leg break happened in farcical circumstances. Playing in a friendly for the club's veterans' side (shortage of goalkeepers, as always), awful pitch (the worst I played on in years), should've really been called off long before the end. With 5 minutes left and us 3-2 up, the ball broke loose on the corner of the 6-yard box, the forward slid in, I came (slid)out to close him down. He poked the ball, it brushed my shin (and rolled wide - I checked before I collapsed in a heap :)) but due to the state of the pitch, he just carried on sliding into my shin at an angle, just as the shin pad slipped slightly, breaking both bones with some force.

Quite lucky it wasn't an open break, really. (see attached)

post-389-129209677786_thumb.jpg

Jeezo! that looks nasty. Congratz on making the save :). I take it the ambulance had to drive to you on the pitch? Game abandoned?

Yeah, ambulance job, match abandoned (only 5 mins left anyway). I could feel that the leg was in 2 pieces and instinctively rolled over on that side - unlike Ramsey a week later, whose foot was just hanging there. (Saw his on MoTD, first reaction - ah, just like mine, but lower down.)

The ambulance turned up and I told the birds that when they lift the leg into a splint, they should pick it up at the ankle and the knee at the same time please, so one of them starts lifting the knee and the other is staring at the bottom half muttering in disbelief "Oh, it's not moving..." (facepalm)

Not too bad, though, as the match was played near mine. 10 min drive to the hospital. They set the bones a bit, the op three days later. And the hospital had a private floor, so was transferred over there within a day (as I get it with work) and the op done privately as well. Home a week later. Was off work for a month, though, and missed a couple of football trips and Fulham-Juventus, which was a little annoying.

Wow, sounds painful! How is your recovcery going? Do you get private physio through work?

Dislocated my knee a few years back, got physio through the hospital and it was a joke.

Only started playing again a month ago so stupidly unfit but I'm getting there.

My only advice will be make sure you do the exercises you're told to do. I didn't do all mine. Regret it now though. Waiting on the doc to refer me and I suffer really bad swelling :-(

Wow' date=' sounds painful! How is your recovcery going? Do you get private physio through work?

Dislocated my knee a few years back, got physio through the hospital and it was a joke.

Only started playing again a month ago so stupidly unfit but I'm getting there.

My only advice will be make sure you do the exercises you're told to do. I didn't do all mine. Regret it now though. Waiting on the doc to refer me and I suffer really bad swelling :-(

[/quote']

Well, I was asking the surgeon whether I needed physio and weirdly he said no as he seemed happy with the healing process and the leg movement. Just told me to carry on with the gym, which I started hitting harder in the past month, losing a stone. So, now bacl to my pre-injury weight but will be using this momentum (and the fact that I stopped eating sh!t and drinking cr@p like Red Bull) to shed another stone, so that I am back to my Gigi Buffon height-weight ratio of many years ago.

This week's been pretty good recovery-wise. As my ankle was still sore and I had a bit of tightness just above the knee on the back of my thigh I decided to refer myself to a physia (via a GP referral). Had 2 sessions so far. Movement excellent, she tells me; however, there is ligament damage on the inside of the ankle (not too serious), so she is working on that as well as the thigh. Also gave me exercises as my right leg's muscles have weakened. And looked at the running - right leg rolling inwards, putting extra strain on the leg - so recommended a trip to Runners' Needs. Got myself a pair of Brooks on Friday - noticeable difference.

Finally, came back to football on Tuesday. Friendly 5-a-side but elated to be back tbh and relieved that there is hardly any reaction to a few flying saves and a couple of proper foot-twister saves with my right. Playing again next week and then I have a tour match in Cape Town the week after. That will be 11-a-side and was my target over all these months.

Well, it would've been more immense if we didn't lose 4 key players to injury - one broke his collarbone playing football just a week ago. It seems as we're approaching/hitting 30 we're turning to glass for some reason. Still, should be a good occasion - it's our uni old boys' team's 6th tour match (have played in Lisbon, Berlin, Lille, Budapest and Madrid) and each trip's been tremendous so far.

Spending a week in the Cape Town area (sightseeing, shark diving, going out to the Cape of Good Hope, playing football, etc) before travelling a couple of hours north for a week end for one of the footy lads' wedding. Then it's off for a horseback safari in north-eastern RSA/south-eastern Botswana. Very much looking forward to this.