Ruthlessgk

Zaffs GK Journal

Right we'll see how this goes.

Here's a heads up -

Im 21 yrs old been playing in the net since i was about 10/11 and then joined first sunday league team in U14's and spent 2 seasons in U16's as i played there rather than U15s. Never played for any decent teams during that time always lower league teams just purely wherever i could get a lift from someone.

When I was 16 I had trials with Sheffield United where I was rejected for being to small (I'm 5ft 8/9") and I was like well what can I do about that. I didnt take it so well as I fell out of love with the game but I still played sundays cant remember too much about them days although i do have an award for the players players and managers player of the season.

After I had got my head straight I started playing Sundays for a pub league side in Sheffield. Stayed there for 3 seasons winning the league 1st season coming 2nd second season and coming about 5th in 3rd season for Firth Park WMC. At the start of the 3rd season I started playing saturdays in South Yorkshire Amateur div 2 and got Burngreave FC promoted to the 1st division by finishing 2nd in the league. Then moved to Wharncliffe FC in South Yorkshire Amateur Premier where we come 2nd in the league and having the best defensive record in the league.

The season i left Firth Park I signed up with Ecclesfield 147 where during the 1st half of the season we was at the top of the table but i got sciatica which killed playing footie and then damage ligaments in my hand which meant I was hesitant claiming crosses etc and saving shots hurt just sharp pain in my hand. so we ended up finishing 3rd or 4th and it knocked my confidence so thats me and now im back at Firth Park who welcomed me back with open arms so going to do my best and improve myself.

I will do match reports if anyones bothered lol see how much interest this get.

Cheerz for listening

Zaff

Im interested mate' date=' from down the road in rotherham so its interesting for me to hear about local footy.

[/quote']

Who do you play for pal?

Afc Galacticos in rotherham on sundays although im thinking of leaving them' date=' Hardly athletic at powerleague in the 7's on thursdays and hopefully sheffield hallam university if I can get in.

[/quote']

i play 5aside at pitz on mondays i dont know who chose the name but i think were called Hamburg fc lol. how old are you pal?

Right sorry about not updating just been really busy but football wise its not been brilliant but we'll see how we get on.

saturday lost 5-2 but in truth my saturday teams defence play with no communication even though im giving them what for as to whos free, who to mark, and generally stop making stupid mistakes. cant remember most of the goals but i do remember pulling of a great save came from a corner defender headed out eventually got crossed back in and volley from about penalty spot with alot of power flying straight for right hand side net somehow got through crowd in front of me didnt see it til late and managed to get hand and tip it over bar. i saved quite a few shots but the goals that went in were from mostly corners which we didnt mark properly so we conceded. just need to get myself fitter and i will be getting to more shots. i feel at fault for every goal because i shouldve done better. i know i will in time just got to keep working. either way somehow managed to get MOTM which i went how can you give it me when i conceded 5 goals and we lost. Manager said i was best player on pitch but i still wasnt happy lol.

sunday we lost 7-2 (cup) to a team a few leagues up who won the competition last time. I couldnt do much about the goals as they were goals from across box and hit straight into corner everytime but i still dont feel as though i did enough. i saved a few shots but one of the goals i did let in was a player headed the ball and it just hung in the air but i managed to claw it off the line in the top corner but i hit it in front of me instead of away and as none of my defence ran in to cover the striker managed to get the tap in if it was a split-sec later i would have been behind ball but thats the difference between conceding and saving.

will update further for the weekends games thats just gone past. if you want me to update the 5-a-side games as well i will do and finally the HPG Premier Roll Finger gloves are the best gloves i have owned and will be buying again.

Cheerz for reading and also thanks to Chris at GKHero.com for putting up with me when i was waiting for my gloves and the advice he gave me as well.

sorry if there are any mistakes with the above i have just written all of the above from my phone.

cheerz

Update is we are top of our league atm by a point but other team has game in hand then another team has 2 games in hand which if they win they will go top.

I havent been doing too well lately and im not sure why. I am soo pissed off its unbelievable as its doing my nut in!! take this sunday for instance my kicking was brilliant pinging the ball wherever i wanted it to go but my handling i felt wasnt convincing but we were drawing 0-0 in first half then in the 2nd half we started our game and scored 3 goals winning 3-0 up until final 10mins i concede 2 goals 1 from a 1on1 which i shouldve done better and the 1st one was i came rushing out while my defender was shouldering there attacker but the striker managed to touch ball away pass it across box and striker just tapped it in past defender on line.

a lately even my 5aside form is shit which is pissing me off as well as ive been doing crap there. hopefully i can sort that out as im playing there tonight.

last week playing 11-a-side as well i conceded from a direct throw in to the wing. i shouldve jus punched the ball away but i hesitated let the striker flick it on for another stritker to head in at the near post. i got beat at my near post. after i conceded that goal i made sure i got to the ball before anyone but then i hesitated my run towards their striker who then slotted ball past me while i was running out to him.

i am usually a keeper who stays closer to my goal line but i have been trying to come out as my team keeps telling me i need to be further out so i am trying to come out more which is helping but still trying to find that right balance so any advice you can give me because atm i am so frustrated with myself you cant imagine.

i want to try out for semi pro next season but on current form they will roll around and laugh but i need to get my confidence up etc.

cheerz in advance

Zaff

btw i wrote this on my fone agen so sorry if there are any mistakes.

A couple of bits of advice I've always used mate, I don't know if the coaches on here will say you shouldn't this but I always imagine I'm attached to my centre back by a piece of string. So if he walks 10 yards up the pitch so do I and if he drops, I drop the same amount as he does, thus always keeping roughly the same distance behind him all the time. I don't know if that makes sense the way I've explained it?

The other bit is where to start from when dealing with crosses. I always start in the middle of my goal, in a straight line with the penalty spot. Then to get the distance from my line, I draw an imaginary line from where the ball is to the back post. My starting position is then wherever the two lines cross. Again I hope that makes sense as it's difficult to explain without being able to draw a diagram!

m8 that makes brilliant sense and i get what you mean. cheerz for that well i will try that out on saturday now as to rushing the striker im really bad at hesitating beore going for it. i think ive just got to trust my instincts more rather than 2nd guessing myself i mean im good at one vs ones usually just al8ly im doin utter shit im not sure if its coz im ill or what. i just dont want to blame it on being ill tbh. as far as im concerned if i can go work i can play footie lol

cheerz agen 4 advice.

Zaff

Hey zaffs keep at it buddy and you will get there... I am 19 yr old about same age as u and ur story similar to mine so keep at it man... I too want some expert advice on how far and when should a keeper step up... Cuz I got two unfortunate goals that I conceded from distance due to me stepping out too much

Sorry about not posting more just been so busy with all footie and on top of that work and car stuff lol. Started playing more football now but had to cut back the amount of times I play on saturdays as the weekend is the only time i can see missus lol.

Breakdown of my week

Monday - 5 A Side - Pitz/Powerleague

Tuesday - 5 A Side - Pitz/Powerleague

Wednesday - 5 A Side - Goals

Thursday - 7 A Side - Pitz/Powerleague

Friday - Nothing

Saturday - 11 A Side (Sometimes) - South Yorkshire Fair Play League

Sunday - 11 A Side - Sheffield Imperial League Premier

So as you cane see i am quite busy but i will make an effort to update.

Zaff