Sign in to follow this  
SafeHands

SafeHands 5-a-Side Journal

Hi Guys,

As there is not a journal specifically discussing Powerleage/5-a-side style goalkeeping I decided I'd start one here.

A little info to start. I play in the top division every Monday night and in the 2nd division on a Thursday night (Thursday is a better standard).

I've played around 6 seasons of Powerleague which are 14 weeks each. Its traditional 5 a side with the wide goals with a low crossbar (around chest height). The keeper has to stay in the area and outfield players cannot enter it, the keeper has to roll out underarm and there is no overhead height balls allowed.

I'll be keeping a diary after each game reviewing how the game went and looking at each area of my game to find my weaknesses so I can work on them.

Game 1

Date: 11/10/2010

Day: Monday

KO Time: 19:50

Score Won 2-1

Footwork

Good footwork, always on toes and moving, toes facing ball

Positioning/Angles

Good angles although not really tested

Catching

Caught more than usual, mostly above waist hight W shape catch

Distribution

Roll outs better than last week but not to feet, too far in the corner or back to the other team. No dangerous roll outs

Communication

Good communication, kept team organised.

Decision Making

Not really tested but good

1-on-1's

None

Long Range Shots

Only 1 or 2, had them covered, behind ball when needed and caught or over the bar

Low Shots

Only 1 or 2, dived to left hand side low and sent one wide, all others right at my feet

Goals Conceded

Poor back pass, player unmarked, directly infront of goal, nothing I could do as a crowd of players in front, I was low and ready but lots of legs so hard to see the ball.

Best Saves

Shot directly in front of goal, attacker dummied marker, made space and shot low and hard to my left hand side, got down low and made diving save with my left hand which sent the ball wide. Ball went wide and bounced off boarding behind goal and back into play, attacker picked up loose ball and shot immediatley low and hand at my left hand post. I was alert and straight back up after the first save, stopped ball on the line with my left foot, ball went back into play and my defender cleared.

Mistakes

Roll outs not going to feet, not always rolling out to the safest option which put us under pressure.

Overall Rating

4/5

Comments

Good overall performance, player from other team commented to my team mate that our GK was quality which was nice.

Currently we've conceded the least goals in the league, 13 in 6 games.

I'll continnue to keep this updated. I've also been speaking with a coach from just4keepers and I'll be starting 1-on-1 coaching sessions with a GK coach from November. I'm sure this will help me work on the weak points identified in this thread!

Keep dropping in as I plan to update this thread twice a week.

Thanks

SafeHands

Ive been thinking of doing a journal for my 5 a side too.

Enjoyed this post so might just do it now!

Go for it Paul, I'm sure we'll both learn from each others journals!

I'm playing again on Thursday so my next update will be here on Friday.:)

Played again last night, Division 2 Thursdays, a better standard than the Monday league I play in.

Game 2

Date: 14/10/2010

Day:Thursday

KO Time: 19:30

Score: Lost 6-4

Footwork

Good footwork, always on toes and moving, toes facing ball, calf strain during 1-v-1 at end.

Positioning/Angles

Decent angles although beaten on a few occasions where ball hit post and bar

Catching

Caught about half of the shots that came my way, could have been better.

Distribution

2-3 dangerous roll outs, we didn't concede from them though. They tend to happen at the end of a game when I'm tired. Need to roll on floor also not in air.

Communication

Good communication, kept team organised mostly although new players not marking.

Decision Making

OK on 1-v-1's, got chipped at edge of area when I thought he was going to shoot low.

1-on-1's

Stayed on feet and sent most wide as angles covered, scored on twice during 1-v-1's player shot low and hard just outside my feet and scored.

Long Range Shots

Only 1 or 2, held one and the other I saw late but got down low and got body behind the ball, shot hit my knees and bounced out.

Low Shots

Saved mainly with my feet but not too many to save

Goals Conceded

Poor back pass, player unmarked, directly infront of goal. 2x1-v-1's, 1x square ball unmarked. 1x chip, other cant recall.

Best Saves

Shot to my left hand side, instinct save sent it wide. Shot right down my throat but very hard, held it.

Mistakes

Distribution, getting chipped on edge of area

Overall Rating

2/5

Comments

Poor overall performance, not a lot to do but did little when called upon. However, out team should have won but the other keeper had a blinder and won them the game.

Match 3

Date: 18/10/2010

Day: Monday

KO Time: 20:40

Score Lost 4-2

Footwork

Good footwork, kept moving and got body behind ball.

Positioning/Angles

Good angles, near post always covered, aware opposition players were right footed so positioned myself accoringly and this helped me make saves on edge of area close up.

Catching

Good Catching, long range shots caught, close to body shots caught, held much more than usual. Still using feet to right hand side and ball going back into play.

Distribution

Better, reviewed distribution technique video and this made it better. Only 1 poor roll out, forgot technique a little as game went on.

Communication

Good as ever, kept team organised mainly.

Decision Making

Good, stayed put on 1v1's and make no mistakes.

1-on-1's

Only 1, opposition scored, stayed on my feet but shot around me

Long Range Shots

1st goal long range, couldn

Good work safehands.

What gloves are you using btw?

I've been using the Shay Given Puma Fingersaves (my last two pairs) but they were not durable and after about 10 games were falling apart. They split on the back on my hand, on the seam, fingers poking through, base of palm with little grip etc.

Before that I used the Nike Spyne's, again not very durable.

After reading this board (and particuarly your comments Jamie) I invested in a pair of KLA Flat Palms too! They've just arrived at work (literally 5 mins ago) and they look good.

It'll be the first time I've played 5 a side without fingersaves and I'm hoping I'll have a better feel for the ball and hold onto more now! I'm playing tonight so will let you all know how they feel!

Game 4

Date: 21/10/2010

Day: Thursday

KO Time: 20:30

Score Won 18-6

Footwork

Good footwork, always in set position on toes.

Positioning/Angles

Good, was further out that usual and this helped me save many shots

Catching

Caught little but had little opportunities to catch. 2 or 3 I parried away that I should have caught.

Distribution

Kept roll out technique in mind and distribution was much better, no dodgy roll outs

Communication

Always communicating, kept team organised but they got sloppy as we were scoring so many they stopped marking.

Decision Making

Good, did the right thing on 1-v-1's and shots on edge of area.

1-on-1's

Good, beaten on one, the other they squared the ball to an unmarked player for a tap in

Long Range Shots

Only one, caught and distributed

Low Shots

One or two, square balls I got to and kept out

Goals Conceded

2 in first half, one unmarked player infront of goal, others square balls, one past me on 1-v-1 low to left hand side and others mainly due to poor marking.

Best Saves

Edge of area 1-v-1 saves, fronting striker at edge of area, he squares ball to unmarked player who shoots, I readjust and make the save.

Mistakes

Possibly a few I should have caught that I didn

ref the gloves, they need a good few prewashes before you start to notice the grip.

i have a damp towel in the goal too for those moments when i get chance to dampen the gloves.

give them a few more good washes and you'll be impressed.

ref the gloves' date=' they need a good few prewashes before you start to notice the grip.

i have a damp towel in the goal too for those moments when i get chance to dampen the gloves.

give them a few more good washes and you'll be impressed.

[/quote']

Thanks what Chris from GKHero said, he PM'd me after I bought them and said the same thing.

I had a coaching session yesterday and pre washed/washed after so when I play tonight and thursday I'll hopefully notice the difference.

Defo very durable though, still no marks whatsoever!

Any update on your thoughts about the gloves?

I wore them again on Monday and they felt better, playing again tonight and they've had another wash inbetween so will see how they fare.

I'm really happy with them as they've not marked up at all, they just don't feek as grippy as other gloves I've tried. It's probably because they were softer latex or something?

Any update on your thoughts about the gloves?

I wore them again on Monday and they felt better' date=' playing again tonight and they've had another wash inbetween so will see how they fare.

I'm really happy with them as they've not marked up at all, they just don't feek as grippy as other gloves I've tried. It's probably because they were softer latex or something?

[/quote']

depends what your other gloves are, these are hard ground gloves so they are never going to have the most grip in the world but for how tough they are, the grip mine give me is very impressive. you have to keep the glove damp though, if it drys you will lose the grip.

mine have started to get one tiny mark on them but i have played 10 or so games in them? possibly more.

on the other hand i tried the bramic roll fingers (on offer from gkhero for a tenner) on a 5g pitch, grip was something else. fantastic glove. only issue is the palms has slightly scuffed but not as bad as i thought. also delivery time on the bramics was excellent. ordered sunday night received them tuesday, gave them one pre wash then played. washed them again tonight so hopefully next week there may be alittle more grip.

Hi Guys,

Just dropping in again as its been some time since I've visited the boards.

A question for you all.

I know goalkeepers should always stay on their feet for mobility but I've played against a number of teams (5-a-side) where the GK crouches low almost in a squat position or even plays on their knees on the goalline.

I've always played off my line to narrow the angles but I find myself being beaten reguarly by hard low shots from close proximity as I can't get down to them quick enough and as the shooter is so close there's little time for me to react.

It seems to be a case of guess where they are going to shoot (not working well!) or stay on my feet and try to react with my feet/a dive (also not working well!)

The GK's who have been crouching or playing low down seem to be able to move around still and have a better success rate in shot stopping.

Is this something a 5-a-side goalkeeper should try in your opinion?

The natures of 5's is different so I wonder if the rules for a GK should be adapted to reflect this?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

SafeHands

The natures of 5's is different so I wonder if the rules for a GK should be adapted to reflect this?

Absolutely. I've been a 5-a-side keeper for 10 years and have just started playng 11-a-side so I'm having the opposite problem.

If a striker gets close to your D you cannot possibly hope to react to the shot and save it unless it's a very weak shot. There simply isn't enough time between the shot being taken and the ball arriving in the goal.

Instead, you have to anticipate the shot and there's a few tricks you can use for this. The first trick is to work out quickly which opposition players are left footed. They don't have to shoot for you to work this out. In a 5-a-side team there will normally be one or two left sided players.

Then what you're looking for are three tell-tale signs that the striker is about to let fly. The first is that he looks up from the ball to the goal. The second is that he plants his standing foot ahead of where it would normally be when he's running. The third is his striking foot pulling back.

If he's shooting from range it's a bit like 11-a-side in the sense that you ready yourself to move in reaction, but your stance is different. You only need to move left or right - not up - so you bend lower to get your centre of mass down, bend your knees and most importantly your feet should be wider apart which gives you more purchase to dive low quickly.

If he's within 3 yards of the D it's completely different. Once you're sure a shot is coming you need to throw yourself as wide as possible to the edge of the D. Even in a one-on-one the ball will strike you two times out of three. You are not trying to react to the shot, you're trying to make the possible angles as narrow as possible and panic the striker into belting it. Of course you also need to get back on your feet immediately.

Some strikers will feign a shot to get you on the floor. This is where you need your outfield players to take advantage of the delay to prevent the real shot that follows. Once a player does this once you need to be much more wary of feints.

Here is another trick. If the ball is in a wide position you need to be protecting your inside post of course. But don't do this like you would in 11-a-side. Get right up to the post with your inside foot pressed against it and your inside hand gripping the inside of the post. This allows you to lean out - effectively starting your dive early- and makes sure the ball isn't going to bounce off the boards, your leg, and into the goal. If a shot comes in you know exactly where it is going and you can push off against the post an get right out across the D. Many times I cut out crosses this way.

This is by no means a bible of 5-a-side keeping but hopefully there's something in there you can use.

Trip