Sign in to follow this  
shefellover93

shefellover93's Football Journal

I thought since a lot of other have one why not...

Before we start a bit of info to get you up to date with what's happened thus far..

Fixtures

Latest Tables (College Corinthians in the u17 League 1)

As I mentioned in the introductions section I'm playing for College Corinthians in the Cork DISC-Viking U17 League 1. Last year I played with Greenwood FC u18 (Youth) side, finishing third from bottom in a side that constantly struggled to get players. Along with training with my College Corinthians side, I also train one day a week with the Cork City u17 team.

We've a game tomorrow against Riverstown FC in the National Cup. They're 4th in the Premier and we're 3rd in the First so it'll be hard, but if we win we're only 2 games away from qualifying out of our area and reaching the national stages of the cup.

Our last game was 2 weeks ago (Last week was called off due to bad weather) where we beat Cobh Wanderers 4-0 away. Made one great save from a corner but other then that had little to do. The season started shockingly. We were 0-0 with current leaders Kilreen Celtic at half time but after losing one of our players to a broken arm early in the second our 9 men crumbled and we eventually lost 6-0. A personal low for me.

But we bounced back well, winning our next game 5-2 with only 10 men against my old club Avondale United, a disappointing 1-1 draw with Carrigaline B in a game we should have won by four of five slowed our momentum down somewhat. But a late equalizer earned us a well deserved 3-3 draw away to second placed Rockmount, and the Cobh result saw us into 3rd place, having already played the two teams above us.

As the results have improved so has the squad, from starting with 10 against Kilreen and Avondale we now have a squad of 16 or so, and just this week have gotten two quality players back to choose from.

In terms of kit (Big images to come)

My boots:Puma-King-XL-FG-Gold.jpg

My Gloves: (Will be getting a new pair tomorrow before the Riverstown game)

Fangmaschine-Absolutgrip-Surround.jpg

0921.jpg

Anywho I'll be updating it after every game (and weekly training session report) and I hope you enjoy! As ever any feedback and discussion is appreciated

• Upvote 1

Welcome mate !

Good luck on your match tomorrow !

Thanks man. Hopefully we might spring an upset but we'll have to be almost perfect. They've a cup final midweek so they might have their eye off the ball because of that

We won 1-0 :D

(The best scoreline ever for a keeper)

No rain but was quite windy as we came out. They had the better of the running early on, I had to be out quick to claim from feet and made a save from point blank range after that. I (kind of) got away with one about 5 minutes before half time. Went up to catch a ball, got taken out from a late jump and spilled the ball, got up quick and saved with my feet. Ref said he should of given the foul and complimented me on the save to keep me on his side :D

So it was 0-0 at half time. They came out very strong at the start of the second and had to make a few saves, clinging on to my clean sheet. Then we started getting a foothold in the game, we had a lob cleared off the line, their keeper made two good saves and we missed an open goal. But with 5 minutes to go I got a cross and launched the ball up field, our striker got in ahead of their defender and was brought down. Keeper set up his wall all wrong and our striker belted the ball straight past the wall and into the left hand corner of the net.

We saw out the final 5 minutes and the ref blew to give us a win over a side a league and 10 places above us. We're into the final Cork round now so if we can win that we get to play on the national stage! The win sees us 5 games unbeaten and having not conceded in just under 200 minutes of football.

Next week we have bottom team Douglas Hall at home in the league, and hopefully we can make in 3 wins, and 3 clean sheets in a row, keeping up our title challenge.

EDIT: Marat they're great gloves! Full of grip and I much prefer roll fingers. Just got another set of Fangmaschine Absolutgrip's today and I really like them as well, very comfortable and great grip. I went off uhlsport for a bit but I'm really glad I switched back, they're superb gloves [/unintentional ad]

Had training tonight. For some really odd reason we train at 9 o'clock at night. Usually the lads can get themselves up for it but not tonight, had hardly any warm up and the weather was crap. We were all stiff and cold and really not wanting to be there! Also, the wind made the movement of our training balls even more pronounced then usual so I couldn't hold onto anything. 'Keeper training tomorrow which I'm looking forward to and then Douglas Hall Sunday.

Beat Douglas Hall 7-0. They should have had 3 or 4 sent off, some of the tackles were truly appalling, how we didn't end losing a player to a broken leg I'll never win.

But we did win, and comfortably with that, had a very quiet day in the nets. The win makes it 6 games unbeaten and having won the last 3. On a personal note it means I've gone 5 weeks, and 270 minutes without conceding a goal.

We've a rest next weekend as all the other teams in our league play each other and we'll be hoping that the teams around us drop points, need to try and start making up points.

Comments as always appreciated, would be nice to know people are keeping and eye on this :)

Just in case anyone is still interested. We didn't have a rest as I thought but instead had a game against first plce. Needles to say the run of clean sheets was broken, 3-0 down by half time we battled back in the second half but still lost 5-2 which was a big disappointment and saw us drop from 2nd to 5th in the table. Yesterday we faced Avondale, 3rd in the table, hoping to bounce back with a win to take us ahead of them. We won 2-0, my 4th clean sheet in 5 games, and having only lost one in our last 7 games.

Next week it's away to Carrigaline B, who we'll be hoping to take full points from and stay right in the hunt for second place. Greenwood have Rockmount next Sunday and a draw in that would suit us perfectly.

Tables

On the tables we're wrongly put down. We should read P: 8 W: 4 D: 2 L: 2 GF: 24 GA: 17 Pts: 14

Hello,

I'm not sure why you've stopped posting, but if it's because you think nobody is interested, I am very interested in your journal. One of the main reasons is that I also play in Cork, though at a younger age.

I would love if you could continue posting here.

Thanks for the comment JC. What club do you play for? I've been rarely updating it at the moment, Christmas brings procrastination. But I'll stick down the few updates I did do after that.

Basically we got slaughtered by Cork City in the final regional round of the FAI Cup (Was always to be expected) and since then we haven't played a match due to games being called off because of the bad weather. This Sunday we have Carrigaline B away for the third scheduled time and hopefully we can restart the second term with a win. The league is out of the running and so is second placed (although we still have to play that team twice) but if we can finish strong and achieve a respectable total by the end of the season it can be considered a success.

• Upvote 1

Another win and another clean sheet, beating Carrigaline 3-0. Had a quiet enough game, made two saves from one-on-ones and had to claim a few crosses but besides that nothing really. That keeps up the pressure on the leaders, and hopefully if Rockmount can drop some points we'll at least secure a solid 3rd position.

Great journal mate! Very interesting hearing about the football over there, will post a journal of my own in late Jan/early Feb as that's when the season starts here in New Zealand. All in all, sounds like a pretty competitive league. Do they do religation and promotion? If so, do you think its possible to move up?

It's quite good really Luke. Most of the pitches we play on are of a high quality standard, but the refereeing is poor and dated. Looking forward to reading it! It's a very competitive league indeed. There's no promotion or relegation per se, teams apply to a league. Kilreen and Greenwood look like teams that should have applied to the Premier but thought they could win something by dropping down a division. There's really three tiers in the league. Greenwood and Kilreen are battling for top spot while Rockmount, Avondale, and us (College Corinthians) are hoping to make third, while Carrigaline, Douglas Hall and Cobh Wanderers are battling to stay off the bottom.

If we get some of our players back maybe, but there's two semi-pro clubs that field teams at our age level, so any decent players are snapped up by them. It also means that it's impossible to win any silverware, and causes teams to drop down a division making leagues unbalanced (Like ours) The easy solution is to have an underage league for all the underage sides belonging to League of Ireland teams, but I doubt that's going to happen unfortunately.

In a disastrous week in which we lost 2 games we had no right to lose I was sent off for the very first time!

Last man, went to get the ball, got the man, was outside the box so the ref sent me off (Sent the other lad off as well for trying to start afters though) A lad came into our team there a few weeks ago and is after ruining what we had. He takes the ball and refuses to pass, it's extremely frustrating and has completely disrupted the flow of our team. We've another round and a half of matches to play, I'm already looking forward to the off-season! :(

Went to training last Thursday and played well enough. Think the break might be a good thing to try and ragin some of the form I lost. Beat Rockmount 2-1 yesterday, and the stand in 'keeper played very well (But he's our main centre back so my position is safe!) Another central defender will be returning to action soon enough so that'll provide a bit of height in front of me which makes a big difference. Cobh Wanderers drew with Greenwood, and Douglas Hall narrowly lost out to Avondale, which make our results seems a bit more respectable, but had we won those two games we'd be well ahead in the race for third.

Current Tables

Great read! I actually play for Lakewood Athletic U.15, but I'm playing against Bandon tomorrow at your age.

Just saw the table you posted there, and we're top but we haven't kept a clean sheet all season. Hopefully, I'll keep one tomorrow in my first game...

Great read! I actually play for Lakewood Athletic U.15, but I'm playing against Bandon tomorrow at your age.

Just saw the table you posted there, and we're top but we haven't kept a clean sheet all season. Hopefully, I'll keep one tomorrow in my first game...

Ah yeah I know the lad that plays for Strand, great that someone else is playing. Fair play, I played 18's last year at u16, how are ya finding the step up? And don't worry about clean sheets just yet, the important thing is silverware!

We lost to Greenwood two weeks ago, and that's us pretty much out of the question. But second is still up for grabs, and we managed to beat Kilreen (For once) 5-2. We were unlucky not to get a point against Greenwood, and we have a team to rival any in the league. I'll put up the tables when they're put up.

Ah yeah I know the lad that plays for Strand, great that someone else is playing. Fair play, I played 18's last year at u16, how are ya finding the step up? And don't worry about clean sheets just yet, the important thing is silverware!

We drew 0-0 today, I was delighted. I don't really care about the score seeing as it's not my team, but I kept a clean sheet and I played well. That was the first clean sheet they've kept all season and I think I'm playing with them for their remaining five games, so hopefully I can add a few more.

I didn't find it hard to step up at all. That was my first match with them today, and I felt very relaxed and in control on the pitch. The one thing that did hit me was the quality, or lack of quality. It was unbelievably bad at times, and I guess I'm just not used to playing lower league football. It was my first time playing 90 minutes aswell and you do notice the difference there.

We drew 0-0 today, I was delighted. I don't really care about the score seeing as it's not my team, but I kept a clean sheet and I played well. That was the first clean sheet they've kept all season and I think I'm playing with them for their remaining five games, so hopefully I can add a few more.

I didn't find it hard to step up at all. That was my first match with them today, and I felt very relaxed and in control on the pitch. The one thing that did hit me was the quality, or lack of quality. It was unbelievably bad at times, and I guess I'm just not used to playing lower league football. It was my first time playing 90 minutes aswell and you do notice the difference there.

Well done! Yeah, I found that as well, keeping yer concentration for 90 minutes is tough, but you do get used to it. I found that also, even training with the Cork City senior team the quality was poor enough, nothing as good as what I thought it would be, football over here really isn't too difficult to break into, the standard is never as good as you expect!

Anyways the tables are up now, Kilreen have been playing terribly and will drop points before the end of the season, we have a better goal difference then Avondale and have yet to play them, so I think 2nd place is well within our grasp. Had we beaten Douglas Hall and Cobh Wanderers we'd now be 3 points ahead with a game in hand, but that happens. We have Rockmount at home next weekend so if we beat them that puts the pressure on them

• Upvote 1

Good luck anyway!

I think I'm playing with the U17s again this weekend. We're playing Macroom away. I don't know if they're any good but I think they are second and apparently it is a crucial game.

Beat Greenwood 7-2 at home. They had a slightly weakened side but couldn't compete against us on a proper playing surface. Their interim keeper had an absolute stinker as well which helped turn a 1-0 early defecit into a 3-1 lead about 10 minutes in. Crucial 3 points as Avondale beat Rockmount 5-4. There's talks that Kilreen have pulled out, which means that Rockmount and Avondale get a walkover in their next game while we don't have a game in hand. That loses us 3 points on the other two but we can win them back still by playing them. Greenwood really have the league sewn up despite the loss, we need to win all of our remaining games to put any sort of pressure on them, but really we'd be needing to win every game to ensure 2nd place, which would be nice. Had we beaten Cobh and Douglas Hall we'd still be in with a great shout of winning the league but alas it isn't to be I feel. Next week we have Douglas Hall at home in the first round of the local cup, and we'll be hoping to go far in the competition, provided we avoid drawing Wilton or Cork City

Latest Tables

We beat Douglas Hall 8-3 today, should have been more except we took our foot off the gas at 6. Was a bit unlucky with the goals, first was a deflected shot, second I saved twice from point blank range and our defence couldn't clear, and third was a one-on-one. Still though, through to the next round without the same drama I had last year with Greenwood!

Beat Avondale 4-1 today, in what's a crucial game for second place. That stretches our winning run (including the cup) to 4 games, and means we've beaten Avondale in all three games this season. I played well today, made a good save at the end of the first half and a few good decisions at 0-0 that let us get past the opening 10 minutes unscathed, their goal came from a penalty (Which was never a penalty but we'll get over it) and besides that nothing got past me. Next up we have another rival, Rockmount, at home on St. Patrick's Day, if we can beat them then we're in a very strong position to take second and secure promotion back to the top division!

Tables!

Thursday was an eventful game to say the least! We kicked off at the unusually early time of 11am (To accommodate the u18's who were playing later) on the back pitch where we stumbled against Carrigaline B and Cobh Wanderers earlier in the season already. It seemed nobody had a match-ball, so we had to play with a training ball that just went wherever the slightest bit of win blew. Rockmount were playing with the wind in the first half, and were just booting the ball over our defenders and letting them misjudge it. We managed to get into the half only 2-0 down, but went three down about five minutes into the second. But we weren't prepared to roll over against a side we hadn't lost against this season. We got the first through a clear penalty, then our centre midfielder poked a ball past their keeper from inside the box to make it two. We were all over them, and hit the bar, before we scrambled home a scrappy goal from a corner. I had to stay on my toes for a Rockmount counter which they almost scored from, but really we dominated the last part and should've won it, hitting the bar again.

The win would've been a big bonus, but now two points behind Avondale with a game in hand, and three points ahead of Rockmount who have a game in hand but worse goal-difference. We just have to face the bottom three of Carrigaline B, Cobh Wanderers and Douglas Hall, and if we can take maximum points, second place and promotion are almost a certainty. In the other game Greenwood beat Douglas Hall 3-1, which means they've been crowned league champions.