GoalTender

Arsenal's Szczesny the next Schmeichel?

Arsenal's manager Arsene Wenger thinks Wojciech Szczesny has a simliar presence to goalkeeping legend Peter Schmeichel. Below is from Sky Sports -

Wenger was impressed by the display of his young stopper, who he insists has a similar presence and character to that of a certain former Denmark international.

"Can I see comparisons with Schmeichel? Yes, there is something presence-wise. I was very pleased with his debut," Wenger said.

"First of all he had personality and presence. His kicking was questionable, but I put that down to nerves.

Penalty

"Overall, he made (Wayne) Rooney miss a penalty, made a crucial save from Anderson and you cannot fault him on the goal."

He added: "For me, his debut was positive. Confidence is vital in our job and he has that.

"He turned up in front of 75,000 people and produced. That, for me, says it all.

"It is not easy to start your career at Manchester United in such a big game without being shaky.

"I believe he has the presence and the personality."

I saw the game and agree he had a strong performance given the circumstances. Anyone's thoughts?

I'm not sure I believe Szczesny played much of a part in Rooney's miss however...judge for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXpsbs4GetU&feature=related

Watching the game, I wanted to be really critical of Szczesny. Could I? NOPE!!!

I agree, he had a very good debut, and it definitely looks like Almunia won't be getting a look in anymore!!! As for the penalty, Rooney missed because of his daft run up! The only player I can remember doing a run up like that was Henrik Larsson.

Well done to Szczesny though. As Andy Gray would say " Take a bow, son!"

Schmeichel's brother wasn't the next Schmeichel, so this won't come from Szczesny, he is on the same as Fab and he will not improve further, even if he do he will stay on that range.

Such a talented goalkeeper with a great future. Arsenal should play him more often in order to develop him rather than spending big on somebody else.

I thougt he looked good on the night... with regards to the penalty, not sure if it really affects a world class striker like rooney, but he certainly didn't sink away into the shadows when the penalty was given. Stood near the ball trying to give the illusion of a smaller goal until the last minute etc...

Also during the game thought it was good the way he stayed big and tall as long as possible... a lot of young keepers go to ground very fast due to excitement/nerves taking over.

However, as for the next schmeichel... there is, was and always will be only 1! :)

• Upvote 1

Agree he is a talented goalkeeper and could very well be one of the bests, but the next Schmeichel? That is blasphemy. There are only 1 Schmeichel:)

About the penalty, lets say that he freaked Rooney out a bit with his way of making the goal smaller. Yes he shot the ball over the bar, but lets just agree on that, if Rooney had hit the goal he would have scored, since the goalie chose the wrong side.

No doubt about it at all, so that wasnt a great save by a goalie but a badly shoot penalty by a striker.

Szczesny looks the real deal! Should be Arsenal's number 1 for many years. Think he just needs to improve on his kicking though..

hmm,..

in my opinion, it is too early to conclude that szczesny is the next schmeichel..

just like schmeichel's own son, kasper, he also called as the next schmeichel..

and i absolutely agree that was "only one schmeichel".. :D

*) i am realy sorry, if my sentence or grammar are false, my english not too good.. :(

Too early to say about the young Arsenal keeper, he can become very good if he learns from his mistakes, such as the league cup final. But the real issue here is Wenger comments, he wouldnt know a good keeper if one was delivered to him by Real Madrid with A world cup and euro wimmers medal. Wenger does like a dodgy keeper, hopefully this time hes got it right. I wouldnt say Jens Lahman was a great keeper either, he was a character alright though. But hes prob been the best one Wenger has signed.

He's quite good. Youngster which will probably be shining in the future.

But no goalkeeper will ever outrank Peter Schmeichel, the great dane!

He has been my role model, hero and inspiration since I saw him play with Brondby in 1991 in the Uefa Cup :)