Sign in to follow this  
fraserb

Transfer Fees

I was thinking about this while watching my old The Goalie video of Andy Goram last night. What kind of transfer fee do you think Goram or Schmeichel would command these days?

I reckon Andy Goram would fetch 15-20 million if he was in his pomp now and Peter Schmeichel would fetch 20-25 million easy

Anyone have any thoughts or any other keepers they would like to mention?

I was thinking about this while watching my old The Goalie video of Andy Goram last night. What kind of transfer fee do you think Goram or Schmeichel would command these days?

I reckon Andy Goram would fetch 15-20 million if he was in his pomp now and Peter Schmeichel would fetch 20-25 million easy

Anyone have any thoughts or any other keepers they would like to mention?

well if pepe reina has a £30 million price tag on him

imagine how much real madrid think iker casillas is worth!

well if pepe reina has a £30 million price tag on him

imagine how much real madrid think iker casillas is worth!

you've kind of missed the point here mate. I was asking how mmuch people think keepers of yester year would be worth nowadays.

Think its a difficult one to call to be honest, the price of goalkeepers is so sporadic and often undisclosed but estimated...

A list of a few reported / confirmed prices of some of the prem are:

Van De Sar - Around 2 Million

Cech - Around 7 Million

Foster - Around 4 Million

Robinson - Around 3.5 Million

Yet Buffon around 30 million... (3 Years before Cech was bought for 7 Million)

In closing... I'd hope my boy hood idol Schmeichel would be valued higher than Buffon, but I can't help but think a lot of his price was due to being Italy's #1 in an Italian league which at the time had a lot of money invested in it... either way I'm sure SAF would never let him go anywhere in his prime!! :)

Once again this post was started to get an idea of what PAST keepers would fetch in today's market. Yes Daz I agree SAF would never let him go in his prime but if he did how much you reckon he'd be worth?

Jim Leighton 6-7 million?

Peter Shilton 10-12 million?

Gordon Banks 10-12 million? etc

Here's one... See what you think.

Peter Bonetti - 15 million?

He was and still is (plays for the old boys) a class keeper for Chelsea back in the day, supurb reflexes, great handling and such a cool style to him. "There is really a cat, in every Lion"

Here's one... See what you think.

Peter Bonetti - 15 million?

He was and still is (plays for the old boys) a class keeper for Chelsea back in the day, supurb reflexes, great handling and such a cool style to him. "There is really a cat, in every Lion"

Yeah that's a pretty realistic price for "The Cat". He was a great keeper

Well i would think that Schmeichel would state around 30-40 million when he was at his top of the career, but then again he is a very different keeper than those you see today.

The whole goalkeeping tecnique has changed alot since Schmeichel was active.

But in a transfer at the top of his career? I would say one of the biggest transfer deals with a goalkeeper.

If you think that the man was one of the worlds best keepers through out the most of his career in Manchester United, and kept on his level for alot of seasons then he would have been one of the most expensive goalkeepers out there.

But then again Manchester United bought him for 500.00 Pound in 91 and that was with out a doubt the deal of the century.

Great point there Wagner.

Something that I always think of is - Would players back in the day be good today? Personally I don't think so, would Pele be able to play his football with the organisation of today's defence? Would Schmeichel be able to stop shots from the likes of Drogba's? Rooney's? Messi's? or Ronaldo's? and not to mention the ball.

But all in all they were great players in THEIR time, and there are some great players in this day and age. Although I guess we ill be saying the same about the top players today when I'm about 50, and with the way the quality of football is changing at the moment I wouldn't be suprised if I was saying that in 20 years time.