Sign in to follow this  
Will @ GKIcon

Penalties

Hi Guys,

As part of the new GKIcon tips video series, Brentford FC goalkeeper Richard Lee has given us his top tips for saving penalties. As some of you will know, he's been responsible for 4 penalty shoot-out victories this season, including a giant killing against Everton and a hat-trick of saves against Charlton which sent Brentford through to the final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. The video can be viewed at:

Hope you enjoy,

Will

Awesome video man. My tips of success is just dive at the right moment. You've to trust yourself as well your knowledge on penalty kicks. You need to be a penalty taker so you know what it takes to save a penalty.

One thing that we feel was left out from this is research. Where possible, it's important for higher level keepers to do a little bit of research on likely penalty taker's previous spot-kicks. Recent examples of this succeeding include Maik Taylor vs Brentford, Richard Lee vs Charlton and Ben Foster vs Tottenham.

Will

In response to this topic I would like to add a few things I have picked up. I once saw an interview of David Seaman who talked about distraction techniques. The first thing he said was that if you (the keeper) has the ball in your hands don't be a hurry to give it back to the taker. Walk to your line get yourself set and then give it to the taker but don't throw it for him to catch, roll it in between the goal line and the penalty spot so the taker has to walk towards the goal to get the ball. He then said that once the taker has placed the ball they look at the goal so making yourself look as imposing as possible gives the optical illusion that the goal is smaller. So stand tall with your arms in the air.

One thing that I have noticed regarding saving penalties is that when the taker looks in a corner, ie where they are aiming, they tend to go the other way so they are trying to give the keeper "the eyes". Using this method I have saved 3 out of the last 5 I have faced and for the 2 that were scored I went the right way.

One thing that I have noticed regarding saving penalties is that when the taker looks in a corner, ie where they are aiming, they tend to go the other way so they are trying to give the keeper "the eyes". Using this method I have saved 3 out of the last 5 I have faced and for the 2 that were scored I went the right way.

You never know with that though. They could be looking right because they are going left, but they might actually be going right. It's just up to the player, and it's just guessing whether he's bluffing or not.

I prefer to judge by the run-up. Generally works a lot.

If you don't have a clue, I find nearly all players go across their body, so just do that if you can't get any other clues.

I recently took part in a shootout and our team won 3-0 and I saved all 3 penalties, one thing that I noticed, is that the shooter standing foot was pointing exactly where the ball went. I just looked at their standing foot and dived where it was pointing. As we all know, saving penalties isn't that basic oor simple, it is mainly a matter of luck and chance, but there are things that we can do to try and maximise our chances of saving penalties, such as look straight in the shooter's eyes and smile, to give them the feeling that you are extremely confident, even if you are not as this is very off-putting for the penalty taker. In a recent FIFA World Cup survey, 70% of penalty takers, shot to the opposite side of the goal, so right footed players shot towards the left of the goal and left footed players shot to the right, so yes, if you have no clue which way they are going to shoot, as Desire-To-Aspire said, dive to the opposite side. Never look in the shooters eyes though as they can easily decieve you and it never gives away any clue which way they are actually going to shoot. Penalties are mainly luck but there is just a fewthings to try and maximise your chances of saving penalties, however if you let the spot kick in, don't be disheartened and carry on.

Anyone familiar with Derren Brown will know the power of conversational hypnosis and suggestion

Just a quick google search will explain the power of these things

Anyone unfamiliar, basically he can make you do things and you wouldnt know he influenced your decision. For example if your playing paper scissors rock against him he will without you knowing influence you to choose a certain one. Using just hand motions etc

May sound abit out there but i tweeted him to see how we can do this for penalties. Suggest to the penalty taker to go a certain side

I hope he replies :)

I was in a penalty shoot out last season and managed to save 5 penalties, and we still lost. anyway, i saved 5 and got fingers to two others. so went the right way on 7 of the 10. However i normally look at the player and try to get a feel. some of them look at a corner, too much. trying to trick you and 9 times out of 10 they go the other way. thats what happened in the pen i saved last week (video in members area)

I recently took part in a shootout and our team won 3-0 and I saved all 3 penalties, one thing that I noticed, is that the shooter standing foot was pointing exactly where the ball went. I just looked at their standing foot and dived where it was pointing. As we all know, saving penalties isn't that basic oor simple, it is mainly a matter of luck and chance, but there are things that we can do to try and maximise our chances of saving penalties, such as look straight in the shooter's eyes and smile, to give them the feeling that you are extremely confident, even if you are not as this is very off-putting for the penalty taker. In a recent FIFA World Cup survey, 70% of penalty takers, shot to the opposite side of the goal, so right footed players shot towards the left of the goal and left footed players shot to the right, so yes, if you have no clue which way they are going to shoot, as Desire-To-Aspire said, dive to the opposite side. Never look in the shooters eyes though as they can easily decieve you and it never gives away any clue which way they are actually going to shoot. Penalties are mainly luck but there is just a fewthings to try and maximise your chances of saving penalties, however if you let the spot kick in, don't be disheartened and carry on.

This is really helpful information and I covered it recently in an article to help coach young penalty takers. If you look at the hips as well as the plant foot of the person taking the penalty, this can help the goalies. Check out the article, Soccer Coaching Tips to Help Goalies Read Penalties at http://www.bettersoccercoaching.com/Article-175--1--Soccer-coaching-tips-to-help-goalies-read-penalties

Hope this helps.

Anyone familiar with Derren Brown will know the power of conversational hypnosis and suggestion

Just a quick google search will explain the power of these things

Anyone unfamiliar, basically he can make you do things and you wouldnt know he influenced your decision. For example if your playing paper scissors rock against him he will without you knowing influence you to choose a certain one. Using just hand motions etc

May sound abit out there but i tweeted him to see how we can do this for penalties. Suggest to the penalty taker to go a certain side

I hope he replies :)

ever get a reply to this one? sounds very iinteresting!

I do a mixture of things. I always make eye contact with the taker, i look at how he is standing and his hips. trying to gauge which way he will go. But i will never dive to a corner where the taker looks the most, If the guys looking at a corner to long, he wants you to notice. If he double bluffs and goes that way fair play but 70% go the other. I save quite a few penos in training and have saved both match penalty's i've faced this season. This is what i do its working at the moment

how do you all know thee elevation of the ball....i mean if u know that the ball is going to your right for instance.....how do you know the elevation....how do you all figure out if the ball is going to the top, middle or bottom corner?

for me... when it comes to penalty..i will take the ball and bring to the taker...give the ball..and wait in front of the taker to place the ball..once he placed..he will look up where he wants to shoot... hehe.. but it all your HEART and SOUL brothers!!!