Sign in to follow this  
Devon Keeper

What a Terrible game!

Well, i had the dis-pleasure of playing in, the worst game of my life, ever on Saturday afternoon.

Read on if you'd like to laugh at our misfortune...

Despite the rain the pitch was looking surprisingly good, we had'nt played for 7 weeks due to Xmas & the weather, so i was raring to go as was a few of the other younger lads in the team, we were playing a cup game (we're 4th from bottom & we were playing a team in 3rd place in our league).

So i'm doing my warm up before the game, being warmed up by our second team players who've come to watch.

Anyway, i'm holding everything they're hitting at me, (it's only a warm up, so no reason not to).

I mis-judge one and it hits the end of my finger, which jars it slightly & it qucikly swells up to the size of a grape at the knuckle, GREAT! - But not being a pansy, i man up & we kick off.

Now being a keeper is a lonely enough position as it is, but my god this game made me feel isolated!

Within 10minutes one of their who would be tormentors of ours put a ball through to their small striker, straight through both our CB's who decided not to bother trying to track back until the striker was 2yds past them, so i come quickly off my line, to meet him on the edge of the area, i stay on my feet to the last possible moment but he slots cooly underneath me, 1-0 down.

We then go down the other end & equalise.

Some poor defending again, not picking up the runners or closing ANYONE down leads to their second goal, i manage to parry to one of our defenders, who passes it straight to their striker again just outside the penalty spot who slots into the bottom left as i'm trying to make the recovery save.

2-1 down.

The 3rd goal is as same as the first, the same 2 players, in exactly the same way.

I manage to get a hand to this one but it bobbles in, i also manage to take the man out aswell, but our defence are nowhere to be seen.

3-1 down, we manage to get another goal back 3-2, in the same fashion we concede 3 more goals before half time.

At times it was 3v1 (me being the one) & it was'nt even a counter attack. We manage to score anothother before half time & we go in 6-3 down.

We've attacked well but we're very much in it (honestly) if we could just get our defence & marking sorted!

So we kick off again & within 10minutes we're 7-3 down, we quickly score again & make it 7-4.

AGAIN some shocking defending see's us go 8-4 down, again defence nowhere to be seen, it's 3 v 1 again, we have 6 players in their half of the pitch & my defence is nowhere.

They score again, this time a lad picks it up on the 18 yd box, nobody closes him down & he hit's a half volley square into the top left, i had no chance, great goal.

We go up the other end & score another great goal, our winger chipping the keeper from about 20yds!

9-5 the score now.

The next goal seems to come exactly the same way as the majority did, poor defending, a great ball over from their influential midfielder who created everything & no closing down by anyone on our team, this time however the ball drops about 16 yds out, the striker gets there first, i make myself big & it's blasted at my chest, it falls to their other striker (still no defence to be seen) he's running for it, i'm running for it 50/50 i slide in so does he & i manage to get there first & flick it out for a corner, his boots meet my ribs & i'm down (i have a boot print in my ribs), ref says fair challenge, do you want treatment, i say no get up & carry on.

They score a lucky goal from the resulting corner, ball comes through & takes a deflection into the opposite corner & neither me or the man on the post (what's he for if he's not stopping these)can't keep the ball out that goes 2 inches inside the post.

10-5, they then score another 2 awesome shots from outside the area, slotting them both into the bottom left.12-5, again they attack, ball over the top again, striker running onto it, however the midfielders judged this one wrong, it bounces, i come out diving, catch the ball, their striker whilst i have 2 hands on the ball (& it's under control) boots it out of my hands & the ref gives a corner, lots of protesting from our defence (oh so they are around) & one of our CB's get's booked for decent.

Another ball over the top about 10mins later see's them 13-6 up.

We're awarded a penalty up the other end & socre 12-6.

I managed to pick out a rocket of a shop heading for the top left, flying through the air i manage to put it over for a corner, the highlight of my terrible day!

To add the icing on the cake, another ball over the top in the finaal few mins runs long, their striker is chasing it down, i manage to get both my hands on it, with my back to him & he stamps down my ankle, i throw the ball out & hit the deck in agony, he's ripped my socks, my skin & i have boot prints in my ankle now to match my ribs.

Overall an absolutely terrible display, our team did'nt track back, pick up the runners, or seem to make any effort, when i was looking up somtimes there was as many as 6-7 players in front of the player with the ball & generally in their half.

It made me feel turd because i couldnt keep many of them out, but when it's 3/4 v 1 then i dont really have much of a chance!

Definately one to forget!

Its really hard to keep yourself motivated after a game like that, on the plus side though you seem to have been a one man defence most of the game and you did pull off a few great saves (would'nt mind being able to see that one made towards the end of the game). All in all although conceding a number of goals in game is never good, especially when you take a right kicking during the process but i'd say this more a problem your team has defensively rather than anything to do with you. Maybe your team could do with playing five at the back or using a defensive midfielder?

Its really hard to keep yourself motivated after a game like that, on the plus side though you seem to have been a one man defence most of the game and you did pull off a few great saves (would'nt mind being able to see that one made towards the end of the game). All in all although conceding a number of goals in game is never good, especially when you take a right kicking during the process but i'd say this more a problem your team has defensively rather than anything to do with you. Maybe your team could do with playing five at the back or using a defensive midfielder?

Yeah i spoke to the manager after the game & he recognised as i did that although i probably should of done better with a couple of the goals (which i accept) the majority was wholey down to the defence.

It was weird really as the last game we played the defence was awesome!

Yeah i spoke to the manager after the game & he recognised as i did that although i probably should of done better with a couple of the goals (which i accept) the majority was wholey down to the defence.

It was weird really as the last game we played the defence was awesome!

Not the best day by the sounds of it mate but to be honest if your under the amount of pressure you were then a couple being a shade in the wrong for ain't that bad!!!

Just have to put it down as one of those days (there will be more ;) ) and brush yourself down for this weekend.

The life of a goalkeeper!!

My first game as keeper last year, I let in 6 in a 6-0 pasting.

Groan.

Sounds like you had a very entertaining time!

I had a game like this mid week. We were playing a friendly against one of the better Saturday welfare teams and for some reason our team just didn't seem up for it. We got beat 6-2, I had a blinder getting mom keeping the score down with some saves I really had no right to make. :cool:

Tough match there man, I agree that the most of the fault goes on the defenders shoulders, but don't be too sad :) You will get another chances, another matches. I believe that you will make a pretty good goalkeeper in the future and we expect hearing from you about your other matches. Hope they don't turn out as this one :/ .

The start of your story reminds m of something similar to what I did.... Playing for Calderdale College FC I was warming up and a couple of the strikrs want to take penalties (god knows why) I put the effort in and caught one of the shots bang on the end of my thumb!!! Within seconds it was swolen!!! massive!!!! it hurt like hell!!!! I played the game still and we won without me conceedong (I had a great defense) at A&E afew hours later it was a confirmed fractured thumb...... BAD TIMES!!!