fraserb

Don't you just hate it when..............

You get to kick the outfield player who now thinks he's a fully fledged goalkeeper, square in the balls :D

Am I allowed to waer my steel toed boots for this? ;)

That's the kind of punishment these people deserve!

Dont you hate it when despite having an injury the coach tries to say "Well cant you just stay in and save it"

NO! I AM INJURED! If it was any other player on the pitch they'd be expected to go off...with us we're expected to stay on.

THEN! I get phonecalls saying "See you in goal on saturday" and "What do you mean you're injured? You dont move about much" Hate those with a passion, just because im the only keeper around doesnt mean i should have to play with an injury and then get ribbed when i dont play well. Im injured....grrrr

Sorry, it's just how i ended up having to give up semi professional football :(

Dont you hate it when despite having an injury the coach tries to say "Well cant you just stay in and save it"

NO! I AM INJURED! If it was any other player on the pitch they'd be expected to go off...with us we're expected to stay on.

THEN! I get phonecalls saying "See you in goal on saturday" and "What do you mean you're injured? You dont move about much" Hate those with a passion, just because im the only keeper around doesnt mean i should have to play with an injury and then get ribbed when i dont play well. Im injured....grrrr

Sorry, it's just how i ended up having to give up semi professional football :(

That's bollocks! You don't move about much, never mind it's the most physically demanding demanding role and you have to be 100% in fitness confrot and mental to do it. I played in goal in a game while recovering from my broken toe - i went to watch and our keeper had to go at half time (wtf i know), so i came on. NO warm up, nothing, and it was fun - i let in quite a few, but made some good saves, and it was clear i wasnt at full fitness, and lacked the warm up.

Had i not been injured, and a good warm up, i woulda played much better.

Also anyone who knows me (as that match proved) would know that, if there is ANY chance i can play, i will play. So if i say, "im injured, i can't play" that means as you said, i CANT play.

Teams should have a backup keeper but at my level they'd never get played. I got bumped from 2nd (I was third untill our 2nd left) back to third when a new guy - who was a defender - came on. Yeah that's fair. c***s.

But i get you - we're underrated and unappreciated. Look at highlights from the last few weeks of english football - there's been some great GKing (apart from Rich Lee taking out his own defender) - including a GK getting sent off and the sub coming on and saving a penalty.

It sucks that you gave it up. Couldn't you have gotten transferred? Or had a word?

But i get you - we're underrated and unappreciated. Look at highlights from the last few weeks of english football - there's been some great GKing (apart from Rich Lee taking out his own defender) - including a GK getting sent off and the sub coming on and saving a penalty.

Was that Paul Gerrard? I'm quite young so I didn't see his first spell at Oldham, but it was brilliant seeing him come on and save that penalty!

Don't you just hate it when you arrange your wall, only for the defenders to either shuffle even further one way or to stand apart from one another so that there's no point having a wall anyway!

No basically what happened was that i was only 16 but had started to get into the reserve side at a local Semi Pro team. The thing is that i had been carrying an injury that had been holding me back from physically reaching my peak (My meniscus in my knee had torn off and was floating around getting caught inbetween my joints and making a lovely cracking noise. I could play but kicking the ball from the ground was agony and would swell up everytime i did so).

No one 'believed' how injured i was because there wasnt a physical injury that you could actually look at and see. Anyway eventually i had to have an operation on it to remove my meniscus and then build up strength very slowly to account for the lack of shock absorbtion i now have in my knee but that took me out for a good 8 months of playing. Anyway as the new season started and i went to get back into it, management changed and the new guys had no idea who i was (the old manager would have welcomed me back with open arms) and then my dad died just before i turned 18 and trying to balance semi pro training 2 times a week plus games at the weekend and school work as well as the emotional trauma was just too much for me.

Anyway, im now at university studying so i dont really have time to think about 2 nights of training and giving up a whole day to travelling around on a saturday for football. Im playing for my local team again and im enjoying it more now with a decent bunch of lads than i ever did playing injured in a semi pro team.

TL: DR Version: I hate being guilt tripped into playing injured just cause there's no other keeper around

Was that Paul Gerrard? I'm quite young so I didn't see his first spell at Oldham, but it was brilliant seeing him come on and save that penalty!

Don't you just hate it when you arrange your wall, only for the defenders to either shuffle even further one way or to stand apart from one another so that there's no point having a wall anyway!

I think it might have been - the commentator said that they GK coach was coming on. I just looked at wikipedia and he fits, so probably is him.

That's the one, it was great!

Indeed. Same week as an epic save from a keeper against Manu i think. Someone shot keeper saved but rooney rebounded as keeper was down, he got up and tipped it over. I can't remember why i brought them up but the last few weeks have seen some great saves - and it's nice too see commentators and analysers giving credit. Usuallt it's "he's missed" not "fantastic save by the keeper"

IMO making a great save feels better then scoring a goal :)

Don't you just hate it when you simply don't play :(

Or when in a match, your defender backs in to you, knocking you on your arse. Then a shot comes in to the bottom corner and trickles in. BUT the position you're sitting in amd the ball's destination/power is EXACTLY something you've practiced at the gym, and if you just had the mental readiness you could have produced an unbelivably fantastic save (but only you know it's super easy)

True story!

DYJHIW you dive at a forward's feet in a 50-50 one-on-one and the forward goes in with his studs up? I've had some unpleasant knee injuries as a result of this particularly cowardly act.

Don't you just hate it when your outfield players think they know better then you, and TELL you how to save etc. Newsflash feller, we're in 5 a side goals - the quickest way to save is often with out feet!

Funnily enough, a player was berating me tonight, then he suddenly changed his tune and was singing my praises! Awesome training session though!