Sign in to follow this  
fraserb

Edwin Van Der Sar Confirms Retirement

vandersar_266201t.jpg

Such a great goalkeeper and ambassador for the position . It's not often you hear players citing family commitments as the reason for their retirement. Best of luck to him in whatever direction life-after-keeping takes him

Yep - a model pro and a great keeper. Wish him all the best in life after football.

Who will Man Utd sign to replace him?

My money is on jussi jaaskelainen!

A true legend!! World class keeper. United should go after Hugo Lloris or David De Gea, two great young keepers

it will be interesting to see who will fill his role, big shoes to feel, total living legend and as said above a real ambassador of the game and the position, I would imagine it would be an import, when is the last time they had a non import as a true number one....... I think they go with someone with a bit of age, Jussi is a good call, dont think Hugo will leave France just yet, I just cant see Fergie put a real young man in charge of the helm at the back yet,

will be interesting to see

Fergie will defo look for a young keeper. He wont go after Jussi Jaaskelainen, think he's a bit too old. It'll be someone like David De Gea or Manuel Neuer, their both class and will only get better. But i've heard this morning that Maarten Skekelenburg is Fergie's main target. He's 28 yrs old so he'll get at least a good 10 yrs out of him.

Yeah I have also heard whispers about Maarten Skekelenburg - I think that is a solid choice.

Fergie will not go for anyone under 27 in my opinion. He likes experience in a 'keeper.

I don't think Fergie will care about 10 years, just a great keeper for 2/3 years whilst he is still in charge - Jussi is still my call :)

No offence to any Fulham supporters but i do feel Van Der Sar wasted a few prime years while playing at craven cottage. Fergie normally struggles with keepers, like Wenger does. Its not hard to see a good keeper.