Sign in to follow this  
CFGK

Guide to Goalkeeper Glove Cuts

Glove cuts

This will be a very basic introduction to a few of the prominent glove cuts on the market today. For those that are new to the position and purchasing gloves, it can be confusing when it is asked, neg or roll? To which the new keeper says, huh? There are many combinations of the main cuts, so we will focus on the top 3.

Flat Palm

This cut, over time, is probably the most popular. It is pretty much the original cut. The palm is typically a single piece of latex connected to the backhand with gussets. With flat palms, the gusset is on the outside of the glove vs the inside of a negative cut (more on that below). This forms what essentially looks like a box (alternative name box cut). This cut typically is a bit loser around the fingers than the same size and model of a neg or roll cut. While still probably the most sold cut, the roll finger is quickly catching up. Many new keepers to the sport will start with a flat palm glove.

5410390528_281d061b7f.jpg

Roll Finger

The Roll Finger cut is quickly becoming the number one with keepers. Unlike the Flat or Neg cut, there are no gussets on the roll finger. The palm is connected directly to the backhand. The latex wraps (rolls) around the finger to meet with the backhand creating more latex surface area. This cut provides a more snug fit than the flat, thus better feel.

5409779997_32db6880a6.jpg

Negative Cut

Like the flat Palm the negative cut also connects the palm to the backhand via gussets. Unlike the flat palm the neg cut’s gussets are on the inside of the glove. This provides the snuggest fit of all. With the snug fit, feel is increased. The tight fits helps to reduce finger twist which keeps the latex on the ball. This glove may work well for those with slim hands.

5409780065_3069c3679a.jpg

There are variations of the 3 basic cuts. The name can differ from brand to brand but some of them include:

Surround cut: This cut has a wrapped latex around the small finger side of the glove that connects to the back hand. Allowing for less stitching and creating a more comfortable fit. This can be used with any combination of the 3 main cuts.

Rolled index: The index finger is rolled while the other three fingers are flat palm cut.

Nike produces several gloves with little finger and index finger rolled while the middle to fingers are either neg or flat cut. Umbro produces a semi-roll with a neg cut thumb.

Flat palms and roll fingers may also be partnered with a bowl/pre-curved palm. As the name implies, these are curved to fit the hand.

The wrapped thumb is another option on many models.

While this is not at all a inclusive list. This should give the novice buyer an idea of what is available. There are pros and cons to every cut and for every model. When choosing a glove the best way to determine what glove you want is to try them on. Even if you intend to order online, visit a local shop to try on the different gloves. Confidence is a big part of goal keeping. If you are confident in your gloves it will show in your performance.

• Upvote 2

ive been using roll cut for the past 3 months and love it but wanna try negative any suggestions

There are many good gloves in rolls that you can also get in negatives.

If you've never tried them, I'd recommend the Bramic Negative Cut, they're cheap gloves and great quality. You don't want to spend alot in case you don't like negative cuts!

I prefer roll finger myself and never liked negative cut. However the negative cut is the biggest seller out of the 3 types of glove cut.

I prefer roll finger myself and never liked negative cut. However the negative cut is the biggest seller out of the 3 types of glove cut.

That surprises me. I knew they were breaking out, but didn't think they were the best sellers of all of them.

I'm a roll finger kid, but I have tried negatives. The stitches on the inside do annoy me but some gloves you wouldn't think they had any, that's what I like.

I wouldn't really say they look cheap, I've had a couple flat palms that I really enjoyed, but the majority I only got them for kick abouts on the local field, finding ridiculous deals on not-very-good gloves for like £2

Just to add on to this there is also the following

Hybrid Cut

The Hybrid Cut is another style which is slowly growing as a unique twist on the above cuts and basically is when the index and little finger are made using the roll finger design as described above but the remaining middle fingers are cut in a different style i.e. negative or flat palm.

1435227158Medius_Cut_Goalkeeper_Glove_Example.png

Negative Roll

The "Negative Roll" cut is a hybrid style that combines negative and roll finger to produce an even greater level of comfort, fit and feel. The fingers are rolled in the same way any roll finger glove will, but the inside of the palm is stitched much like a negative glove. The benefits of this combination mean that if a snug fit is your thing and you are a fan of negative gloves, you can have an even better fit but with more latex contact on the ball thanks to the rolled fingers. For those used to a more open or loose fitting glove you may want to consider going one size up when choosing a glove with this cut

1435229607Negative_Roll_Goalkeeper_Glove_Example.png