Sign in to follow this  
wylie123

Nervousness

Hi guys, I am 21 years old and playing in an amatuer league. I used to play 5 a side alot then made the step up to 11 a side pub leagues, however i have came along some problems.

I get very nervous and make rash decisions in play, my handling becomes shocking and i can't deal with long range shots without thinking what to do when there coming at me.

Has anyone had problems like this and any advice would be appreciateed

Just try to clear your head before a game, I find having a song stuck in my head that I can. Sing along to helps

Its all about relaxing mate, i used to be like that and had the butterfly feeling in the stomach.

Try and take deep breathes and think about what you are doing, this feeling does go away when you play more games.

If you do make a mistake clear it out your head and get on with it. No point dwelling on it.

Its hard my friend cause when a player makes a mistake he has 10 players to help him out. if a keeper makes one it tends to lead to a goal!!

im 32, have been playing since 1986/7 when i was a kid and still get nervous. Its not as bad as when i was a teenager when i first moved into adult football. Try to relax, try to focus on your tasks, dont panic if you make a mistake. Remember its only a game, not the end of the world if u do make a mistake. Take everything on context and it should help you not be so nervous.

It may sound silly, but the pros in many sports use Imagery (the practice of visualising the skill positively over and over in your head before a game/practice). Richard Lee talks about it aswell in the questions on here aswell. It may sound silly, but if you get use to visually seeing yourself make the save from long shots, that progresses to actually making the saves from the long shots. Cant go into too mcuh detail at the minute as im on works time, but its worth researching and giving a go!

right the first thing i say hear is going to sound like a joke, but im 100% serious. make sure you go no.2 before a game. i find that minimizes "inner" distractions. as for in game thinking. pick a save you have made. doesnt matter if its on a full sized pitch or in 5 a side. one save your really proud of, and keep thinking about that in a match. over time create a collage of great saves in your mind. this is creating positive mindset. the next thing to do is practice practice practice. your method of diving is crucial in a game. nothing is worse than poor technique, and once you get it down to a tee it comes naturally to you and you'll find you think alot less in pressure situations. i also find shouting calms my nerves. i dictate exactly what i want from my defense, and if i dont get it, i let them know big time. it serves as a bit of a positive distraction. hope this helps

I used to play 5 a side alot then made the step up to 11 a side

I did exactly the same thing at the start of this season (ie. move from 5-a-side to 11-a-side). I was a pretty competent 5-a-side keeper. I regularly had opposition teams ask me to play for them.

11-a-side is a totally different ballgame. If you're like me your first few games included classic goalkeeping howlers that do your confidence no good at all. I was a total wreck before my first few 11-a-side games and it got worse before it got better. I let pass-backs bounce over my head into the goal, got tackled by my own left knee, picked the ball up from pass-backs, 'cleared' the ball off a defender into the goal, watched high shots fly in because I forgot the bar isn't waist height, and accidentally punched a team mate so hard in the head I broke my hand. I am not making any of this up.

Finally, fifteen games in, my brain is adjusting to 11-a-side. I've had four consecutive games with no serious errors and am pulling off some decent saves. I am slowly gaining the confidence of my team-mates. I got my first MOTM this week.

The goalkeeper position is by a mile the toughest on the pitch in terms of the pressure not to let your team mates down. If the striker misses a sitter the score doesn't change, if the keeper makes a blooper you're a goal down. It's a stressful business.

It's totally normal to be nervous playing in goal. I'm 39 years old, I'm a pilot, I'm a rescue diver, I run a £40M business managing 300+ staff in my day job, and yet I still get nervous before totally meaningless sunday-league football games.

My advice is to hang on in there. If you were a decent shot-stopper in 5-a-side you'll be a decent 11-a-side keeper with practice. And it does feel good when you here "Save keeper!" from your defenders :)

Trip

PS. you can read every painful detail of my conversion to 11-a-side here: http://unsafehands.com

I did exactly the same thing at the start of this season (ie. move from 5-a-side to 11-a-side). I was a pretty competent 5-a-side keeper. I regularly had opposition teams ask me to play for them.

11-a-side is a totally different ballgame. If you're like me your first few games included classic goalkeeping howlers that do your confidence no good at all. I was a total wreck before my first few 11-a-side games and it got worse before it got better. I let pass-backs bounce over my head into the goal, got tackled by my own left knee, picked the ball up from pass-backs, 'cleared' the ball off a defender into the goal, watched high shots fly in because I forgot the bar isn't waist height, and accidentally punched a team mate so hard in the head I broke my hand. I am not making any of this up.

Finally, fifteen games in, my brain is adjusting to 11-a-side. I've had four consecutive games with no serious errors and am pulling off some decent saves. I am slowly gaining the confidence of my team-mates. I got my first MOTM this week.

The goalkeeper position is by a mile the toughest on the pitch in terms of the pressure not to let your team mates down. If the striker misses a sitter the score doesn't change, if the keeper makes a blooper you're a goal down. It's a stressful business.

It's totally normal to be nervous playing in goal. I'm 39 years old, I'm a pilot, I'm a rescue diver, I run a £40M business managing 300+ staff in my day job, and yet I still get nervous before totally meaningless sunday-league football games.

My advice is to hang on in there. If you were a decent shot-stopper in 5-a-side you'll be a decent 11-a-side keeper with practice. And it does feel good when you here "Save keeper!" from your defenders :)

Trip

PS. you can read every painful detail of my conversion to 11-a-side here: http://unsafehands.com

jesus, you have some life

It's totally normal to be nervous playing in goal. I'm 39 years old, I'm a pilot, I'm a rescue diver, I run a £40M business managing 300+ staff in my day job, and yet I still get nervous before totally meaningless sunday-league football games[/i].

Have to agree with all of that. If a striker has a stinker, but managed to put one in from 1 yard out to win the game, his 5 howlers are pretty much forgotton. If a keeper makes 20 great saves and one howler that leads to the goal, them saves go out the window. Its never easy been a keeper, and noone else really gets it bar other keepers. I think everyone gets nervous before and during a game, its natural, we are the last line of defence.

And great story Trip, time to head over and read the painful details :lol: