The Joker

Wrist Strength

In all seriousness, how can i improve wrist strength?

Sometimes i get a hand to the ball but it still goes past me or behind me.

I have a gyroball thing that helps, but are there any other ways?

Cheers

J

I use hand putty which you can probably find and a mountain climbing store or weight store. Also I use and grip squezee that you can get at most weight lifting stores. If you have weights or resistance bands you can do wrist curls

Also, if you have a coach, ask him/her how to tense certain muscle-groups and when to relax them. It may sound silly, but you'd be surprised how much it helps when you do it correctly - it does provide a bit more strength in your wrist and your hands themselves. Maybe only a boost of approx. 10-15% but that could be the difference between it going "through your hand" and you tipping the ball onto the post/crossbar. Kind of similar to a boxer, if you have 2 boxers with exactly the same strength/power, the boxer who applies that knowledge correctly will have a better (ie: stronger) impact than the other boxer that may tense his muscles a fraction too early or too late.

One thing I do that kind of builds wrist and hand strength is I hold a ball with my hands with a proper high contour technique. I just hold the ball out and then let go immedately grip it again (the ball will naturally spin a little when you do it as well). Your wrist just gently flicks up as you let go of the ball each time. I do this very rapidly, so just a constant grip, release, grip, release, grip, release, grip, release. If you do this about 15-20 times rapidly you'll feel it in the muscles in your arm a few inches from your wrist (similar to those little stress ball things where you constantly grip and release).

Using a stability ball for things like push ups (or a soccer ball under each hand) can help as well since it forces you to firm up your wrist rather than just bend it and use the ground and your bones to push you up and down.

when i tried to push a rocket shot or a volley.....i always end up with my wrist snapped...and i will hav to rest for 3-4days for my wrist to recover

In all seriousness, how can i improve wrist strength?

Sometimes i get a hand to the ball but it still goes past me or behind me.

I have a gyroball thing that helps, but are there any other ways?

Cheers

J

I will have a great answer for this very thing in about 3 weeks