everyone knows about Tottenham's GK Gomez, so who agrees with me that he makes the simplest mistakes to make himself look like a fool

All keepers make mistakes. I don't believe that Gomes would be a starting keeper in one the best leagues in the world because he "sucks". If you go to youtube and type in goalkeeper mistakes you can see some of the best keepers make the mistakes that we think no professional keeper should make. I think Gomes's performance this year is far better than the past couple of years. His performance in the Champions league has been top shelf. Renia and Van de Sar have made mistakes this season that we all chuckled about and then felt their pain. Some keepers can make a meal out of the routine and others make the impossible seem like it's routine. It all a matter of perspective.

Im not a great fan of Gomez, he started off in the Premier League poorly. He does make some mistakes, however he has made some outstanding saves this season for Tottenham. Hes a bit like David James and Bruce Grobbelaar that he will make many great saves but be prone to some clangers, you have to take the rough with the smooth with eccentric goalkeepers.

Gomes is an odd keeper. But I believe his biggest problem is his inability to read the game adequately. While he has cut out the out and out clangers his decision making is very questionable. For example see the Robinho chance when Milan played Spurs at WHL. Pato was running towards the edge of the box whilst being chased by a defender yet for some reason Gomes decides to try to intercept the ball and gets no where near it. Pato was never going to score from the angle he was in and so there was no need for Gomes to do that. However he was astonishing in the first leg and unbelievable against Arsenal last year at the lane when Spurs won 2-1.

In all I still think Spurs need a new keeper but it wouldn't be top on the list of priorities (striker, defender please)

i dont think there are as many top keepers around as there use to be.

I agree with that mate. I think there needs to be some young keepers brought up, the likes of Lindegaard, Szczesny, Kasper Schmeichel etc... The list goes on. These guys are great keepers, in my view they should be given a chance. Lindegaard would be an ideal keeper to take over VDS when hes done at United, Szczensy is one that is looking decent in goal for Arsenal and Schmeichel is doing alright at Leeds (maybe a bigger club to snap him up?). If the keepers are brought into first team football early in their career they'll have much more experience in their later years with the club. These lads not getting enough action for the first team young usually causes the player/keeper to get fed up with their current situation and move clubs, usually being to the lower divisions where the football is generally not as good, therefore their potential of being a great keeper in the future is hindered by playing against weaker opposition..

The keepers in goal now for most Premier League outfits have been getting first team action from a young age. The likes of Shay Given broke into first team football at the age of 21 with Newcastle united, and beating some fine keepers to the number 1 spot too. The problem facing most clubs at the moment is old keepers, VDS is retiring with united having nobody to replace him, Friedel the same with Aston Villa, Harper at Newcastle too.

Therefore what will there be for the future? a whole bunch of inexperienced goalkeepers coming through the ranks at the same time? The clubs don't seem to be planning for the future, they'd just rather splash the cash to an overseas club and get a middle aged make do goalkeeper in. Not really an ideal platform to build your club on.

he just made another howler against chelsea. The ball never actually went in even though it was awarded a goal but he should never have put himself in the position.

http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-Gomes-blunder-from-Frank-Lampard-contoversy-over-goal-Chelsea-Vs-Tottenham/tabid/415/articleID/209233/Default.aspx

Someone needs to snap Shay Given up in the summer if hes over his shoulder injury. Plus if West Ham go down Rob Green is an option to bigger clubs. One of the reasons Arsenal and Spurs have not quite challenged enough for top spot is because of there keepers.

Re Arsenal Wojciech Szsczesny is one of the best keepers just got his chance bit late im hoping that Spurs will make a Bid for Artur Boruc from Fiorentina

Re Arsenal Wojciech Szsczesny is one of the best keepers just got his chance bit late ...

How can you say he's one of the best keepers if he's only just got his chance? Flappy-hand-ski won Polish Goalkeeper in the year -- fat lot of good that's done him!

I don't like Rob Green at all -- According to OPTA: 5 - Rob Green & Heurelho Gomes are the 'keepers with joint-most mistakes leading to goals this season

Gomes is very hit and miss.... one game he will play amazing the next he will be a liabillity!!! I hear that Spurs are after in my opinion one of the better young keepers about ny looking to sign Ben Foster from Birmingham! For me Foster is a top flight keeper and wouldnt look out of place at Spurs!

Gomez is a calamity keeper. Take away the mistakes he makes and he IS world class. but at that level you cant be making mistakes like that and playing every game. I am a fan of Cudicini and would of been playing him from the start of the season. I beleive tottenham's season could have been very different having that change been made earlier.

i think cudicini is past his best, hasnt covered himself in glory when he has played. was a fan of him in his younger days. gomez simply makes too many mistakes. makes more than james did at his worst.

Gomes' problem is his abismal handling in my opinion, watching compilations of his you see that all saves he makes he hits out of the air full stretch or beats it away, he just doesnt trust himself to catch the ball, with good reason too obviously...

Despite being 40, i think Fridel will take his place. Hes more consistant

Friedel said to Villa's number 2, a friend of mine, that he was looking to go as an understudy, because in his tender old age he didn't want to be a first choice any more. Maybe play a Lehmann sort of role.

Gomes is incredibly eccentric, he'll amaze and frustrate you in 10 minutes.

I don't know where anyone gets off thinking he's "crap", he's talented, just misses the one fundamental for the job, HE NEEDS TO CATCH!

He's incredibly controversial. I look forward to seeing what happens if he has to compete for the number 1 spot.

Was Brad talking to Steve Taylor? I cant see Brad going there as a number 2? if that was the case wouldnt he rather go back home to the states?

Was Brad talking to Steve Taylor? I cant see Brad going there as a number 2? if that was the case wouldnt he rather go back home to the states?

Andy Marshall, may be number 3, he runs the academy I go to, he doesn't wanna be number 1 at his age, he likes the premier league but he'd be like a father figure to the next generation of real footballers, like Lehmann did, plus Villa have one of the best coaching facilities in the country, he wants to work on his coaching badges in a few year's time there.

Andy Marshall? use to play for norwich, ipswich and played in fa cup final for millwall?

that's the man, shame he didn't go all the way in the fa cup but he's got a runner up medal, thats why he's at not playing first team, only reserves, so he can concentrate on the academy

hes a goalkeeper who never realised his potential. started off good but seem to lose his way a bit. plus a lot of teams started bringing in foriegn keepers to the premier league. i remember him coming on as a sub for norwich, played very well. it was one of his first games if not his debut.