goalkeeeeeper

Quitting Goalkeeping

I have been on a rough goalkeeping streak for about 5 practices/kick abouts recently, and I think it's my time to throw in the towel, it has been a good run but it seems like I am getting a sign that I should stop playing, Well for all you other goalkeepers out there, goodluck and hopefully you guys wont stop playing like I am about to do. Thanks guys, its been fun.

Hey buddy,

What got you into goalkeeping in the first place? What do you really enjoy about goalkeeping?

Have a think back to some of the good times....totally amazing saves... B), the ones that left everyone going "wow".

IN LIFE, MOST PEOPLE DON'T FOLLOW THROUGH WITH ANYTHING

A lot of people just aren't willing to put in the commitment that is required to do anything. That includes -

• Going to the gym regularly, lose weight, gain muscle
  • Eating healthy
  • Get a job they really desire
  • Excel at a type of sport

None of the above happen overnight which is why they can be offputting. We want INSTANT results. That's how marketing works. BUY X PRODUCT = BETTER LIFE

Truth is, being great isn't a one-time event. It is consistent focused practise.

BAD STRETCHES CAN BE A GREAT THING

It'll help you make a distinction later down the road. When your performance improves again, you can reflect back and realise "I need to do xyz in order to get out of a poor run".

IF I WERE YOU NOW, I WOULD DO THE FOLLOWING -

1. Think about 1 little step you could take to improve the situation. Head out to a park and take some goal kicks? Spend some extra time at the gym working on plyometrics, spend an hour working on purely handling skills etc. Something practical.
  2. Have a think about why you became a goalkeeper? Are you willing to throw away years of training and experience just because of a little bad spell?

Champions refuse to lose. You've had a setback, which means a jumpback is around the corner if you are willing to stay focused are ride out the storm.

I don't know how old you are so as said before that might be a factor.

But all I will say is that I stopped playing three times in my thirties (although the third time I broke my thumb) each time vowing never to play again.

I get asked to play one game as a favour and I get the bug again. I am now playing as well as ever and the reason is because I am not taking things as serious as when I was younger.

Just play your games give it your best and if you make a mistake forget about it you never meant to do it.

Just ENJOY yourself when your playing because you will miss it if you give it up.

Its more than just the game its playing with your mates and having a drink afterwards to discuss the game and each others mistakes.

Mate, don't give up!!!

Seriously, you're only 19, you will have your ups and downs. What to do is really analyse your game, and be really critical of yourself. See where you need to improve and by how much, ie if shot stoppin is good, but one on ones lets you down, you'll want to work more on your one on ones etc etc.

I gave up at that age, and I have regretted it ever since. When I was 15, I had the chance to sign youth terms with some professional teams. Now, and I'm only 26, the closest I get to being a keeper is by coaching keepers at youth level and occasionally joining in their games, and running my site!!!

Have a long think about it, talk with your manager, talk with your team mates. Don't rush into things.

If you want to give it up, and you're heart is not into anymore, then do your mates a favor and definitely take a break, at least for awhile. There's nothing worse than a keeper who has lost his confidence. In many ways, being a keeper takes a lot of the same mental characteristics required to play good golf. But if you're giving it up just because you're going through a bad streak, then that's probably not a good enough reason to quit.

Last summer, I went on a streak with 5 different simultaneous teams where I was 41-1-3. I felt like there was nothing anyone could do to make me lose. It was a phenomenal feeling. But of course, a streak like that can't last forever, and just a few months ago I had a streak where I was 5-13-2. If you play a lot of goal, you're bound to go through good times and bad times. At the time of that poor streak, I was nursing four or five small injuries all over my body. None of them were serious enough to stop me from playing, but they were definitely affecting my game overall. In hindsight, I probably should have just taken some time off. But I knew that the problem wasn't mental and that it was unlikely any of my teams would have been able to find a suitable replacement on such short notice, so I stuck with it. I adapted my training schedule and focused more heavily on proper between match rehabbing. And now I am feeling much better, and have started on another good streak this month.

I do recommend that any serious keeper take good stats of their performances and results, and log those into a digital calendar or journal. This way you can track how well you are progressing or regressing. You have subjective data at your disposal that should tell you if its just your performances or your team's causing the poor results. Its not always the keeper's fault afterall...

theres a few things you could try, one is to put all of your efforts into training harder to get back on form, or take a 3 week break and just watch match of the day or football matches on tv and analyse the keepers playing that way you will see techniques to add into your arsenal. Also watching a few amazing saves can be very inspiring.

19 and no injuries

Far too young to call it a day. Its just a form issue. If you had said 39 and had broken fingers or arms i would of said yes. Yes keep going and as said above, try to enjoy it.

Mate, don't give up!!!

Seriously, you're only 19, you will have your ups and downs. What to do is really analyse your game, and be really critical of yourself. See where you need to improve and by how much, ie if shot stoppin is good, but one on ones lets you down, you'll want to work more on your one on ones etc etc.

I gave up at that age, and I have regretted it ever since. When I was 15, I had the chance to sign youth terms with some professional teams. Now, and I'm only 26, the closest I get to being a keeper is by coaching keepers at youth level and occasionally joining in their games, and running my site!!!

Have a long think about it, talk with your manager, talk with your team mates. Don't rush into things.

Yeah, to be honest now that I look back onto it my defense was playing horribly every single game that I felt I did bad. I pretty much had no defense, the amount of shots taken on me were not even close to what they should have been with a good defense. I think I will keep on playing. Thankyou for what you said.

If you want to give it up, and you're heart is not into anymore, then do your mates a favor and definitely take a break, at least for awhile. There's nothing worse than a keeper who has lost his confidence. In many ways, being a keeper takes a lot of the same mental characteristics required to play good golf. But if you're giving it up just because you're going through a bad streak, then that's probably not a good enough reason to quit.

Last summer, I went on a streak with 5 different simultaneous teams where I was 41-1-3. I felt like there was nothing anyone could do to make me lose. It was a phenomenal feeling. But of course, a streak like that can't last forever, and just a few months ago I had a streak where I was 5-13-2. If you play a lot of goal, you're bound to go through good times and bad times. At the time of that poor streak, I was nursing four or five small injuries all over my body. None of them were serious enough to stop me from playing, but they were definitely affecting my game overall. In hindsight, I probably should have just taken some time off. But I knew that the problem wasn't mental and that it was unlikely any of my teams would have been able to find a suitable replacement on such short notice, so I stuck with it. I adapted my training schedule and focused more heavily on proper between match rehabbing. And now I am feeling much better, and have started on another good streak this month.

I do recommend that any serious keeper take good stats of their performances and results, and log those into a digital calendar or journal. This way you can track how well you are progressing or regressing. You have subjective data at your disposal that should tell you if its just your performances or your team's causing the poor results. Its not always the keeper's fault afterall...

Yeah we all have our up's and down's now that I think about it. Yeah, to be honest now that I look back onto it my defense was playing horribly every single game that I felt I did bad. I pretty much had no defense, the amount of shots taken on me were not even close to what they should have been with a good defense. So i'll take all of this into consideration, thankyou, and Ill look to be going back to practice next week. Thanks alot.

theres a few things you could try, one is to put all of your efforts into training harder to get back on form, or take a 3 week break and just watch match of the day or football matches on tv and analyse the keepers playing that way you will see techniques to add into your arsenal. Also watching a few amazing saves can be very inspiring.

Yeah I know what you mean, and thanks, im going back to practice next week!

Far too young to call it a day. Its just a form issue. If you had said 39 and had broken fingers or arms i would of said yes. Yes keep going and as said above, try to enjoy it.

Yeah I will, starting back up again next week, cant wait!! thanks.

Thankyou for everyone who has commented on this post (like i said in pretty much every reply)to be honest now that I look back onto it my defense was playing horribly every single game that I felt I did bad. I pretty much had no defense, the amount of shots taken on me were not even close to what they should have been with a good defense. I think I will keep on playing. When i look back onto it, my game has decreased only a little bit, and the only thing that isnt as good as it was about a month ago is my 1 on 1's is there anything I can do to improve this? please reply. And thankyou everyone for everything!! if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't be starting up again! thankyou guys and I cant wait to start it all again!!

Thankyou for everyone who has commented on this post (like i said in pretty much every reply)to be honest now that I look back onto it my defense was playing horribly every single game that I felt I did bad. I pretty much had no defense, the amount of shots taken on me were not even close to what they should have been with a good defense. I think I will keep on playing. When i look back onto it, my game has decreased only a little bit, and the only thing that isnt as good as it was about a month ago is my 1 on 1's is there anything I can do to improve this? please reply. And thankyou everyone for everything!! if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't be starting up again! thankyou guys and I cant wait to start it all again!!

1 on 1's you need to practice but I reckon the best advice is to stand up as long as possible make yourself look as wide as possible and make the striker make the first move. Remember he feels more nervous than you because he should score so the longer he has to think about it more chance he has of missing.

Also practice with the strikers in your team, you can help each other by chatting about the 1 on 1 and what they think makes it harder etc.

Good Luck and I am glad to hear you haven't given up you won't regret it.

1 on 1's you need to practice but I reckon the best advice is to stand up as long as possible make yourself look as wide as possible and make the striker make the first move. Remember he feels more nervous than you because he should score so the longer he has to think about it more chance he has of missing.

Also practice with the strikers in your team, you can help each other by chatting about the 1 on 1 and what they think makes it harder etc.

Good Luck and I am glad to hear you haven't given up you won't regret it.

Yeah but when im on a 1 on 1 i stand up too long, and then just never end up diving.

The key to 1 on 1s is knowing how long to stand for, and when to rush!!!

To be honest, a keeper's main goal for this situation is to transfer the pressure onto the striker, and hold up the striker as long as possible to allow your defence to get back into position. The best stance for this would be come out to roughly 9 yards off your goal line once the attacker is clean through, and set yourself up in the Indiana Jones stance, ie knees bent, hands at sides just as if you were ready for a shot. Be on your toes, but not bouncing up and down like the outfield players do!

If you are on your toes, it allows you to make quick adjustments with your positioning, by moving to the side or moving forwards and backwards. As the striker comes into the 18 yard box, you have the decision to make: make yourself look BIG for as long as you can, and then RUSH. By being big, it doesn't mean you're standing straight up. Stay with your knees bent, and have your arms out a little wider. You then want to make the striker move as far to the side of the goal as you possibly can. By doing this, you're holding him up, but lessening his chances of scoring. You also want to watch when the striker takes a heavy touch. There are two chances here: ONE; you take the ball, TWO; you give away a penalty. A lot of strikers nowadays take a deliberate bad touch just to make the keeper make a challenge, therefore giving away a penalty. It's happening more and more these days, and you need to give credit to the striker: it's very smart! However, timing it right is essential. Pull out of the challenge if you think it's too dodgy.

When you are in a 1 to 1 situation, think clearly. Don't panic. Slow down your heart rate - by doing this I find that it sort of "slows down time" too. Sounds weird I know, but it gives a litte more clarity!!!

Don't worry about being out those 9 yards either. When the strikers running through, he's running on adrenaline as well, and will more than likely try to play it low, or take it round you. He won't think of lobbing you. If he does, you need to applaud the striker, but you didn't do anything wrong. I hope this all helps. Sorry if it sounds all a bit childish, but sometimes it's the easiest way to write down instructions!!!

By the way, I'm extremely happy you've decided not to quit football. Definitely the right decision.

• Upvote 1

The key to 1 on 1s is knowing how long to stand for, and when to rush!!!

To be honest, a keeper's main goal for this situation is to transfer the pressure onto the striker, and hold up the striker as long as possible to allow your defence to get back into position. The best stance for this would be come out to roughly 9 yards off your goal line once the attacker is clean through, and set yourself up in the Indiana Jones stance, ie knees bent, hands at sides just as if you were ready for a shot. Be on your toes, but not bouncing up and down like the outfield players do!

If you are on your toes, it allows you to make quick adjustments with your positioning, by moving to the side or moving forwards and backwards. As the striker comes into the 18 yard box, you have the decision to make: make yourself look BIG for as long as you can, and then RUSH. By being big, it doesn't mean you're standing straight up. Stay with your knees bent, and have your arms out a little wider. You then want to make the striker move as far to the side of the goal as you possibly can. By doing this, you're holding him up, but lessening his chances of scoring. You also want to watch when the striker takes a heavy touch. There are two chances here: ONE; you take the ball, TWO; you give away a penalty. A lot of strikers nowadays take a deliberate bad touch just to make the keeper make a challenge, therefore giving away a penalty. It's happening more and more these days, and you need to give credit to the striker: it's very smart! However, timing it right is essential. Pull out of the challenge if you think it's too dodgy.

When you are in a 1 to 1 situation, think clearly. Don't panic. Slow down your heart rate - by doing this I find that it sort of "slows down time" too. Sounds weird I know, but it gives a litte more clarity!!!

Don't worry about being out those 9 yards either. When the strikers running through, he's running on adrenaline as well, and will more than likely try to play it low, or take it round you. He won't think of lobbing you. If he does, you need to applaud the striker, but you didn't do anything wrong. I hope this all helps. Sorry if it sounds all a bit childish, but sometimes it's the easiest way to write down instructions!!!

By the way, I'm extremely happy you've decided not to quit football. Definitely the right decision.

Thankyou for your input I get what you are saying about the slow motion thing. And I think one of my problems is not getting on my toes and i'm too close to the goal, pretty much what your saying is form is really important and I get that now, thankyou

I "gave it up" at 17 odd... worst decision I made. Now 26 and playing again, lots of misses time and training and alot harder to get back to a good level!

If your not enjoying it, take a back seat for a few weeks to really think about what you want!

• Upvote 1

I was 45mins away from quitting the other night due to a total loss of confidence. Was playing in a cup game which ended 1-1 went into pens having had a decent 2nd half and extra time.....Anyway we ended up winning 3-2 and i saved 2 pens, I am actually looking forward to playing top of league next week.