Sign in to follow this  
nmvsports

How do I stop taking the skin off my arms?

I have been playing in goal for years and this time of the year I always end with no skin on my arms.

There must be a way to stop it happening because this sudocrem I have on at the minute is stinging like mad.

Come Sunday morning when I play again unless it rains a lot I will back to square.

Somebody out there must know or do I have an invention on my hands.

I play on artificial turf, so I wear Under Armour underneath a short sleeved jersey. If you get the right compression material it never gets too hot. I rarely if ever get scrapes anymore.

I play on artificial turf, so I wear Under Armour underneath a short sleeved jersey. If you get the right compression material it never gets too hot. I rarely if ever get scrapes anymore.

Cheers for that.

I play on grass and at this time of year goalmouths are worn out so there is only the rock hard mud. I wear a long sleeved goalie top and I tried vasoline like I have on my knees but that just sticks to the top.

Would the underarmour thing not just rise up my arm.

With your Under Armour, what I tend to do is pull it down so that it fits inside the glove as well. Therefore it doesn't ride up. If you buy the right type of UA, ie not too big, then it won't roll up. Another method is to use tape. Tape around your thumb and hand and then over the UA so it stays in place too. This is abit more trickier than just pulling it down so it's inside the glove!!!

Have you not thought of buying three quarter length trousers to protect your knees as well? You can UA/Skins leggings under them to give your knees a bit more protection again, instead of looking suspicious in supermarkets buying tubs of vasoline!!!!

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/McDavid-Hexpad-Forearm-Pad-Black-Padded-Football-Support-Accessories-23317.aspx

Probably what you're looking for?

Personally I just wear underarmour under my jersey. I do however have a pair of these pads for my knees which I wear when training on astroturf. Only cost me about 20 or 25 and they have saved my knees some awful damage. Bit tough to move in at the start but you get used to them. I dont even notice i'm wearing them anymore!

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/McDavid-Hexpad-Forearm-Pad-Black-Padded-Football-Support-Accessories-23317.aspx

Probably what you're looking for?

Personally I just wear underarmour under my jersey. I do however have a pair of these pads for my knees which I wear when training on astroturf. Only cost me about 20 or 25 and they have saved my knees some awful damage. Bit tough to move in at the start but you get used to them. I dont even notice i'm wearing them anymore!

Thanks for that. I'm not convinced by them they do look strange.

Looks like i might try that underarmour I hope its stretches.

I have been playing in goal for years and this time of the year I always end with no skin on my arms.

There must be a way to stop it happening because this sudocrem I have on at the minute is stinging like mad.

Come Sunday morning when I play again unless it rains a lot I will back to square.

Somebody out there must know or do I have an invention on my hands.

Ha ha, i feel your pain, seriously i do! went training last weds and the ground was like concrete, i have grazes and cuts on legs and elbows.

This time of year(i know its getting warmer but) i tend to wear a jumper rather than a gk shirt as its thicker. Depending on ur budget you could go for under armour. Personally i purchased some good quality knee and elbow stretchy supports/pads. They protect against any grazes.

Thanks all for the advice.

It has just started to rain so I might get away with it. Only 4 games left so I might leave it until next season.

I highly recommend wearing a long sleeve compression shirt underneath your kit. I have 6 compression shirts for cold weather, and 5 for warm. They are all comfortable and form-fitting, and I haven't had torn skin on my arms in ages! If you get a proper compression shirt, then there should be absolutely no reason for the sleeves to ride up during play. The shirts I have are all made by Canterbury Clothing Company of New Zealand. I got so many of them because they decided to close down their line of compression gear about a year ago and I found these for insanely low prices. But having only 3 or 4 shirts (I need multiples because I hate doing laundry and I play anywhere from 4-8 matches a week on average) probably would have sufficed if I had to pay closer to retail. My favorite part of wearing these compression shirts is that I can wear a regular short sleeve outfield kit over it, so I'm not forced to wear long sleeve shirts, which I don't generally like because of the "bagginess" of the sleeves. I have about a dozen kits from various clubs/countries, so I also never have to worry about my kit clashing with the opponent's because I have so many options.

Underarmour is probably the easiest way of doing it. Those pads are good though, you can also get the equivilant of underarmour with those pads in them anyways, gives a bit of extra protection if you feel you need it. Hope you work it out anyways!

Underarmour is probably the easiest way of doing it. Those pads are good though, you can also get the equivilant of underarmour with those pads in them anyways, gives a bit of extra protection if you feel you need it. Hope you work it out anyways!

I ended up cutting the toes out of a pair of my sons old football socks. Worked a treat so I don't think I will need the underarmour but thanks anyway.

Under Armour... enough said!

Best gear around, may be pricey but lasts for years and i havent managed to destroy mine playing both Football and American Football!

Underarmour is good, but the pros here swear a lot by McDavid, made in the States here. I just ordered this for myself, made specifically for GK's to add some protection to the ribs as well as the arms. Good compression and protection but doesn't restrict movement. No need for a padded GK jersey when wearing this and you can just play in training shirts or whatever you want over it. Certain keepers like Francesco Toldo swear by this product.

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/mcdavid-goalkeeper-clothing-mcdavid-hex-pad-ls-shoulder-arm-rib-gk-under-shirt-goalkeepers-kits-black-23313.aspx

23313.jpg

Underarmour is good, but the pros here swear a lot by McDavid, made in the States here. I just ordered this for myself, made specifically for GK's to add some protection to the ribs as well as the arms. Good compression and protection but doesn't restrict movement. No need for a padded GK jersey when wearing this and you can just play in training shirts or whatever you want over it. Certain keepers like Francesco Toldo swear by this product.

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/mcdavid-goalkeeper-clothing-mcdavid-hex-pad-ls-shoulder-arm-rib-gk-under-shirt-goalkeepers-kits-black-23313.aspx

23313.jpg

Does it come with Night Vision Goggles?Gotta get me that!

Bet it's expensive though.

I am looking in to getting padded underarmour :P

Does it come with Night Vision Goggles?Gotta get me that!

Bet it's expensive though.

I am looking in to getting padded underarmour :P

Nah, no night vision goggle or ACOG scope at that

Just gotta look around for deals. Mine came out to be 66 dollars shipped so around 46 euros for comparison.

Pro direct has them for 49 euros it seems

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/McDavid-Goalkeeper-Clothing-McDavid-Hex-Pad-LS-Shoulder-Arm-Rib-GK-Under-Shirt-Goalkeepers-Kits-Black-23313.aspx

I imagine some keepers spend more on gloves...to me this was a worthy investment because of some firm ground surfaces here that feel hard in some of the 18 yard box when going down. Movement isn't that much restricted and i don't really need to wear goalie jerseys/shirts anymore.

Of course there are those who don't want any protection at all--to each their own as they want to take advantage no restricted movement at all. I prefer some light protection and do not like traditional long sleeve GK jerseys for some reason so who knows :D

Nah, no night vision goggle or ACOG scope at that

Just gotta look around for deals. Mine came out to be 66 dollars shipped so around 46 euros for comparison.

Pro direct has them for 49 euros it seems

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/McDavid-Goalkeeper-Clothing-McDavid-Hex-Pad-LS-Shoulder-Arm-Rib-GK-Under-Shirt-Goalkeepers-Kits-Black-23313.aspx

I imagine some keepers spend more on gloves...to me this was a worthy investment because of some firm ground surfaces here that feel hard in some of the 18 yard box when going down. Movement isn't that much restricted and i don't really need to wear goalie jerseys/shirts anymore.

Of course there are those who don't want any protection at all--to each their own as they want to take advantage no restricted movement at all. I prefer some light protection and do not like traditional long sleeve GK jerseys for some reason so who knows :D

Strangely, as i use fingersaves, and padded 3/4 lengths, sometimes knee supports, I prefer short sleeved jerseys. Long sleeves just get in my way, and short sleeves look cooler :D