Sign in to follow this  
Keeper Dan

Please help!

Lately I have had some really low confidence playing in net and I have a big tryout next week. I need to get back into the mentality. Can anyone tell me some good tips and/or drills that will help boost my confidence? Thanks.

Danny.

Hi Danny, welcome to Goalkeeper Talk. Thanks for joining :).

1st step is to GET SPECIFIC

What areas are were you particularly low in confidence with? I'm sure there are some things in goals that you do very very well :).

REMEMBER THE GOOD TIMES

Why did you become a goalkeeper in the first place? What do you love about the position?

DO A COUPLE OF MIXED TRAINING SESSIONS

When you train this week, try and do a mix of all the general goalkeeping skills. Handling, footwork, crossing, kicking. Make sure you end on a high. Do some drills you know you are good at.

• Upvote 1

Lately I have had some really low confidence playing in net and I have a big tryout next week. I need to get back into the mentality. Can anyone tell me some good tips and/or drills that will help boost my confidence? Thanks.

Danny.

A warm up is critical. Have a teammate or 2nd GK or coach serve you some low powered shots, to your left, right, high, low etc. Catch these, parry them. Then some crosses. you need to warm you body up, but also your mind.

I like listening to music before hand too - songs like "Indestructible" "Butterflies and Hurricanes" - songs that have a positive "you can do it" lyric attidude or something loud and pumpy.

Some people even do a light workout before hand, get themselves "pumped". Its up to you.