JP Oracion

Preventing having a bad day in goalkeeping

Everyone has one of those days where everything goes wrong. Not a right lot you can do about it.

You can however reduce the amount of bad days you have by simply practicing.

Dont let an error or mistake effect you into another one. accept it and move on and make sure it wont happen again. Focus and practice are the best ways to reduce mistakes, u wont eliminate them all though.

It sounds simple but repetition repetition repetition.

As long as you are doing the right things over and over, you should get into the frame of mind that allows you to play more consistently.

If you have made 300 clean catches during the week at training, come the weekend, then next catch should just be number 301. Get more training is my advice!

don't let a goal phase you. I just had a tournament where I dropped a cross in very wet weather which resulted in a goal. I put it out of my mind and later on I made 2 breakaway saves and dominated my box in the air. It doesn't matter how bad the goal you let in is. It matters how well you can get back up from it.

Just hold your head high. I just had a horrible training session in which my save percent was roughly 10...Just look toward the next day, keep reminding yourself that tomorrow has potential to be a better, brighter day for you. Everyone has bad days, but if they let it affect them too much then it could quite possible end up affecting your whole season. Brush it off like it was a goal. (:

i can play good a whole half, but then when my defence goes down hill i loose confidence and thats when i start having a bad day , all i normaly do is kick the post to kool down :P

True that keeper0 Before a game I go up to each of my posts and say hello. It's been a tradition for 3 years

True that keeper0 Before a game I go up to each of my posts and say hello. It's been a tradition for 3 years

I do the same exact thing. Before a match, I always meet my posts and never touch them less than 10 times each, my posts have saved my skin more times than I have fingers and toes, and my crossbar...man I love that thing! I think what makes a bad day a good day for me is when I pull of a miraculous save or my posts do something to help. (; Bad days will always be around, but you just have to shake them off like a housefly.

some of this has already been mentioned, but confidence is a huge thing. repetition is huge...the more practice you have at something the more confident you will be in games when that situation arises. Also, having a positive frame of mind and knowing how to react when something back does happen. Have you ever seen the film "The Secret", or "What the Bleep do You know?". Laws of attraction type stuff? that applies here. Lots of positive self talk and visualization...the visualization shouldn't always be you making spectacular saves either...visualize a mistake and you making a solid recovery here and there (IE: Giving up a rebound, or bobbling a ball and making a recovery to secure the ball, etc). The ton shouldn't be 100% positive but should always have a positive outcome, ya know? I do visualization before every game...just visualizing some of my best saves/moments I can think of playing in goal. Have some kind of cue or routine that is your 'reset' button. When you do this its your cue to relax, maybe reflect on what went wrong and how to fix it, then reset your mind and start fresh. For me, it's taking a drink from my water bottle...if I'm super tense, or let in a bad goal or whatever, I grab my water bottle and 'wash away that one'. Some games I keep VERY well hydrated and run out of water fast! HA HA

Practice, practice, practice...

You must always focus solely on your weaker areas during training and take everything you learnt during the week into the weekend game. Always show good commitment during every training session acting professionally and always listening to your coach, after all, they are the ones with the knowledge to improve you.

Relax, don't be tense take everything in your stride and be sure about what decisions you make. Weight of pass, W, cup, scoop, collapse, hands leading etc... It's easy to get caught in no-man's land and starting making errors. For example, a shot comes into your mid-drift in what i call a bit of a 'grey area' you are unsure on whether you make a 'W' or a cup. My advice to you is that you make your own decisions, and certainly with my example i just gave you as i feel you can successfully complete the save with either of them.

Hope this is helpful, but just remember... "In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher." ;)

Joe.

No one is perfect, i'm pretty dam close, but you'll have days where the shots don't stick, kicks don't work and nothing seems rights, trust me, you'll learn more from those days than you do from the perfect game.

The Joker has spoken!

The joker has made a serious comment!

Honestly though, you have to black those days out, take something from them, and then forget they happened. The thing is what is the perfect game? You're probably never gonna play it, but you can keep aiming for it and get better each time :)

Hey, even I've had one of those days before!

General Shuyin has spoken.

What are ways that I can prevent to have a bad day in goal? How can I be consistently good?

Well as many have pointed out on here... PRACTICE. But dont just go out and practice, it must be perfect practice. We have a saying here in America (I do not know if it has gone global or not lol) but... Practice does not make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect!

To prevent a land slide after a goal has been given up find some way to relieve the stress. Every player does this. You'll see it when you watch a match. Some goal keepers will pick the ball up and bounce it with their hands, others will go over and slap the post, some keepers will even do a "cracking knuckles" motion with their hands. You just have to do something to take your mind off the goal that has just been given up and take the frustration out of you mind and body.

When I played (as a defender), after I got beat by a striker or winger and they scored, or assissted a goal I would slightly kick (not hard as to avoid injury) whatever post I was nearest, I would also pop my knuckles if I wasn't near a post.

Always remember it's just a game, and it's meant to be fun no matter what level you play on. All the best players in the world wear smiles when they play because they know they are very lucky that they get to play a game for a living.

Practice doesn't make perfect, and a perfect practice doesn't make perfect.

Practice makes PERMINANT.

The perfect keeper never has a bad game, never does a bad kick, shouts the right things at the right time, keeps a clean sheet every game, never fumbles a shot, every week, immaculate.

That is perfection, sadly there is no such thing.

Do what you do best as a human, and that is YOUR BEST!