Travis94

Really frustrated....

I have never been able to do my own goalkicks and I am in my last preseason of high school ball. I told my coach that I would be able to take my own kicks before our first league match. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, though; I have tried keeping my eyes over the ball, widening my plant, even the foolish leaning back. I have made very little progress, but it just isn't good enough for me. This is really a frantic stretch for help, if anyone has ANY advice as to how I can improve my kicking so I can quit embarrassing myself and be able to take my own goalkicks, please share it!

With regards,

-Travis.

As you run up, lean back (if your right footed) put your left foot as high as the ball and smack it with your bone beside your toe,

im new to gk but goalkicks are simple.

get out and practice in a park on ur own, u should be able to work out what works for you.

have you ever tried a shorter run up?

Thats probably a good shout. players seem to think a longer run up will result in a longer kick. personally for me, a couple of light steps and a kick will get more distance then a fast long run up. simply because im getting the technique right.

I have tried a shorter run up. It does seem to work better than my 6-yard approach. I think I may also combine a shorter run with algis123's idea. I have great leg strength so I am sure that once I can get the technique down then I will be able to bomb it to at least halfway. Thanks for the advice, guys!

I have always had the same issue, but my ankle is pretty much screwed now so just cannot get the power from the floor...

From the hands, never an issue!

FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE KICK - Don't just kick it, and let your foot stop. As soon as your foot touches the ball, carry on, with your foot "pushing" forward with the kick. This is the same technique that people use for some kinds of passing.

But the only thing you can do is practice. The GK's SHOULD take the goal kicks. Always. Having a defender taking it will effectively render your team a man down. Don't worry about kicking it to the other penalty area, i usually try to pick a player out then simply hoofing it.

But practice, practice, practice. Everyone has their own techniques and body shapes and you'll find your own confort zone.

Working your leg muscles at a gym (under controlled environment) may help, but only slightly. Some people have a harder kick then others.

The only other thing i'll say is: relax. Don't tense up, don't panic and worry about the kick. chill out, take the kick, aim for a player you want to get the ball, and kick...

Gonna reiterate it, just relax.

What helps me, is a short run up, and I never really aim. I try to get my kicks going to a specific area, but otherwise I never try to pick out a man, not yet anyway.

My run up distance is perhaps 3 paces back, and half/1 to the left side (I'm right-footed). I keep my eyes on the ball, and always follow through.

Don't worry about it too much, my goal kicks were awful for years. It's taken me a good solid season of practice to actually get them a good 40-50 yards now consistently, so now I'm going to work on distance and accuracy.

tl;dr version: Just relax, and never rush the kick. It honestly makes it ten times easier.

From a very young age I always had problems with kicking the ball, then at the age of 16 it suddenly clicked. I was able to kick the ball a good distance and in time accuracy was no longer a problem. But there was still a problem with consistency, 3/10 kicks I either scuffed or sliced and this got frustrating. About 6 months ago I was advised of a new technique and with plenty of practice, my kicking is now 90% effeicient. The technique is as follows-

1.Place the ball on a flat peice of ground, avoiding any divets or rough areas.

2.Firmly plant your non kicking foot next to the ball, no more than 5/6 inches away. This creates a flat/stable platform for your non kicking foot.

3.Take large steps away from the ball, creating your run up, no more than 4 or 5.

4.Take a slow run up to the ball, replicating the large steps just taken.

5.Always keep your eye on the ball, this is very important in ensuring you make good contact with the correct area of the ball.

6.When you reach the ball, firmly plant your non kicking foot next to the ball. Keeping your non kicking leg as still as possible ensures straighter movement of the kicking leg.

7.Strike the ball, keeping your leg as straight as possible, making sure you dont strike across the ball, avoiding slices etc.

8.Finally, your kicking foot should finish approximately a yard in front of where the ball was when you kicked it, this ensures you have kicked through the ball.

I know it looks like a long process but in time I found it to be very usefull, hope it helps.

These all seem like such good tactics. I am going to try them and see which works best. Thanks guys!