Simple topic. I got a 5-A-Side tourny sat. Anyone got any tips?

It's an enclosed pitch so the ball will not go out of play, and likely gonna be fast and hard shots, I'm likely to be very busy.

Any tips to help me prepare and also for the games themselves?

In a fast 5 a side being alert is crucial in having a good game because about 7/10 shots you save will be from gut reaction and just be prepared to take hits everywhere, even the family jewels. Using your area to its full capability also helps a lot but your angles and positioning have to be perfect at all times. Good luck and most of all enjoy it!

Also, being 11-aside keepers we tend to go down alot! In 5-aside that is not favourable, it is better for you to stay low on ur legs ready to react to anything that comes with u, alot of saves will be done with ur feet! Since it is a small goal u do not have time to drop! Try to turn ur feet when u save(with the inside of ur foot) so u can push the ball away from any danger!

Goodluck

Cheers!!

Thanks fellas. Any more tips are appreciated, a few good ones there. Thinking logically, it's a good call about not going to ground too much, as it's enclosed and won't really stop, it'd make sense to be ready for anything.

Gonna try to get a good warm up too.

use ur area when saving. i mean u dont have to hold onto the ball because u have the luxuary of outfield players not allowed in the area. u have to be sharp, lots of quick fired shots. so be alert. think about footware, i play on 3g putches but usually wear molds or blades as u get better grip than astro trainers, especially when wet.

take lots of drinks with ya, its thirsty work 5 aside. as adam said ya angles are very important as ashot can b hit at any time and from anywhere, even when your team have the ball stay on ya toes jus in case they lose it. This is more down to personal preference but could be helpfull in 5 a side i tend like using finger protection gloves u have to deal with that many close range shots i find the support helps prevent injuries n give you that extra bit of confidence. Most of all tho make sure you have your weetabix in the morning to give ya that extra spring in ya step to get right into the corners of the goal ;)

take lots of drinks with ya, its thirsty work 5 aside. as adam said ya angles are very important as ashot can b hit at any time and from anywhere, even when your team have the ball stay on ya toes jus in case they lose it. This is more down to personal preference but could be helpfull in 5 a side i tend like using finger protection gloves u have to deal with that many close range shots i find the support helps prevent injuries n give you that extra bit of confidence. Most of all tho make sure you have your weetabix in the morning to give ya that extra spring in ya step to get right into the corners of the goal ;)

I always use finger saves. I like them :)

gonna take me a banana with me and have a bite between games too :) Assuming i can get a good night sleep, I think i'm ready...

i usually prefer gloves without protection, but 5 aside they help me a lot its prob jus a mental thing but if it helps i jus go with it lol. Have fun, your in for a busy day seen as it a tournament and not jus a single league game. let us know how you got on :)

i noticed lots of people like to use the wing alot , be carefull with them finess shots

Finesse shots aren't a problem. The hard low ones are gonna be difficult to deal with, but hey. I'm gonna try not to over think it. :P

Make it clear to your team/defender that you don't want anything being shot at you from the centre of your area. Your team should be throwing themselves in front of everything in this part of the pitch. BOLLOCK THEM if you are left exposed.

Shots from the sides are totally your own business, so like others have said make sure that your angles are bang on. Don't dive too early if at all. If an attacking player panics and just hits it hard and hopes it always seems to go straight at you!

Make sure on near post shots that you are stood far enough off your line and ahead of the post so as not to accidentally parry it into your own goal! :D

ENJOY!

be prepared to take hits everywhere, even the family jewels.

Check. Luckily I managed to cushion it enough and cradle it so the full force weren't there. Cudda caused some damage... Still, i held on to it, smothered it, needlessly as no one's allowed in the area :P

most of all enjoy it!

BIG check on that one :D

BOLLOCK THEM if you are left exposed.

Check that too. the last game was a disaster. mighta been double figures, i'm not sure. there was NO defense AT ALL. we would attack and the second we lost the ball, 3 players were through on goal, on their own half! was appalling defending, and i had a bit of a yell. The "defenders" didn't like it though! I can't save every shot!

Seeing as how someone said let us know how it went:

First game was a rusty start, but i didn't do too bad.

second we should have won (we were the "b" team, and drew against this particular team who later beat out "A" team! so I'm counting that!) 2-2 that was.

3rd i can't remember the score. i don't keep count tbh. my mind's on other things.

Made some cracking saves. Someone had an absolute blaster from just outside the D, i was about 2 yards from them, caught that bad boy first time - well impressed with myself and my new gloves' grip!

Another game, as stated, i took one for the team. Luckily I'd cushioned and cradled the shot well enough that i recovered in seconds.

Had another save that is the classic "foot to the side", it JUST scraped my toe and hit the post.

Then later another blaster hit me, threw me backwards where i landed on my back with a worrying CRACK! I thought that was gonna be the end, but, once play had stopped and i got to my feet i was back. Like being winded, but my back hurts now!

My favourite save was from a long range shot, heading for the bottom corner. Slightly poor positioning had me off centre to my left, so i had to do a full on low dive, got a strong palm to it and parried it clear.

Several of my roll-outs were poor, a few went straight to the other team and some directly led to a goal. My bad on that one. I let too many in that were right next to me - realistically there was no time to react but i felt i should have got them.

All in all, very fun, until the final game where we were, to use my mate's term, "raped". In order to be "fair" he'd sat the game out, along with out other best player, to allow others to get a full game. Right decision in terms of fairness but it cost us the game. Still, i stand by his decision.

Worst part was the ref - one of them was SH*T. He did not have a clue of the rules. Gave FKs when the keeper saved it, and the ball ricocheted over head height, ignored a BLATANT hand ball by a defender in his own area ignored players tresspassing in areas and keepers exiting theirs.

But still, it was fun and that's what counts.

Any more tips for anyone else who may need them are still welcome!

The only thing i can add atm is communication - i found it important to be loud and clear, at times i wasn't loud enough. Team lacked the communication a bit.

Some cracking saves, some dodgy ref's, crown jewels punishment, unexpected result against a stronger team, a tanking from another - SOUNDS LIKE AN ACE DAY! :D

It'd take 10 times as long to get them same experiences playing 11 a side.

Any more tips for anyone else who may need them are still welcome!

Defo. Keep them coming! Got my first 6 a side tournament as a keeper in over 8 years coming up on Saturday and then my second the following weekend :D

The only thing i can add atm is communication - i found it important to be loud and clear, at times i wasn't loud enough. Team lacked the communication a bit.

Bang on. Take a suitable player in your team and mould / shape yourself a decent centre back that you can control and direct. (It might be worth also having a spare defensive minion in case the first one breaks at any point during a game.)

Drill into them what is expected and not. Build up a defensive bond. They are basically a keeper who can't use their hands and should live around the centre edge of your 'D' throwing themselves at / blocking anything which tries to enter it or attack it!

What happens past the half way line is none of their concern :D

Luckily we had 2 defenders (who didn't play in the spanking, probably why we fell apart) and they were fab, one was plain immense! I didn't have to say ANYTHING to him, apart from "well in" or "thats it!" Somehow he was pushing up, making attacks, but at no point did he leave us open, he defended fantastically. The other one was good and a couple of times i had to warn him of a player to the side. Those two players didn't really need direction, apart from me serving as eyes in the back of their head.

Good point though. If i played regular 5-a-side, i'd defo do that. As it happens we're a 11 a side team and I'm probably gonna be the third keeper (can you believe we had a keeper crisis at one point? We had 4 available keepers throughout the season.)

I'm not used to the full size goals, after years of training in what i think are 9-a side (head height, slightly wider...). these 5 a side goals are much wider though. I need A LOT of practice in the full sizes!! ( but that's for another topic :P)

99% of my matches are 5-sided :P just wear lots of shizz .. so you wont feel afraid even for a millisecond .. dont be afraid to put your body infront of the ball .. use your legs .. and most importantly .. dont care about your opponents .. in 5sided matchs .. you ARE supposed to hurt them .. grab the ball and give them a kick in the nuts .. that would stop the game for sometime .. so you can rest

in 5sided matchs .. you ARE supposed to hurt them ..

This is football, not boxing. You're not "supposed" to hurt anyone.

grab the ball and give them a kick in the nuts

I'm pretty sure that's against the rules. Besides, in the tourny i played, the keeper is not allowed out of the area, and no player's allowed in.

99% of my matches are 5-sided :P just wear lots of shizz .. so you wont feel afraid even for a millisecond .. dont be afraid to put your body infront of the ball .. use your legs .. and most importantly .. dont care about your opponents .. in 5sided matchs .. you ARE supposed to hurt them .. grab the ball and give them a kick in the nuts .. that would stop the game for sometime .. so you can rest

Hmmm dont like the 'dont care about your opponents' bit. i wouldnt like to be playing against someone who sets out to hurt or injury you. ive seen some horriffic injuries in my time, broken legs, arms, ankles, bone sticking out through the skin. i wouldnt wish that on anyone

Yeah. You should always care about your opponents, after any match I always shake hands with the players around me, have a word with the other keeper, it's just what you do. I don't see why 5 a side should be any different.

I don't think you're supposed to hurt anyone, bearing in mind football is a non-contact sport.

If I hurt another player, I always get up and see if they're okay, not grab the ball and kick them in the nuts

Yeah. You should always care about your opponents, after any match I always shake hands with the players around me, have a word with the other keeper, it's just what you do. I don't see why 5 a side should be any different.

I don't think you're supposed to hurt anyone, bearing in mind football is a non-contact sport.

If I hurt another player, I always get up and see if they're okay, not grab the ball and kick them in the nuts

I totally agree.............although, might be tempted if the keeper was wearing Nike gloves, but i would restrain myself and just dismiss his poor knowledge of goalkeeping.

I totally agree.............although, might be tempted if the keeper was wearing Nike gloves, but i would restrain myself and just dismiss his poor knowledge of goalkeeping.

You could beat the keeper all you wanted... but if you did anything to his gloves you'd have me to answer to, and I'm a whole 5'8 tall remember!!

Could we leave discussion of gloves to a topic better suited for it? Unless discussing what type or gloves (make is irrelevent here) is good for 5-aside, there's no place for it here.

On hindsight though, I think that maybe that feller was joking. I know they say keepers are all mental and that but seriously :P (all of a sudden The Monk springs to mind. being scared of the keeper would help in a one on one situation :P)

Your lack of knowledge of goalkeeper gloves is quite disturbing

You mean your lack of it, Nike is no bad glove manufacturer in my opinion, and in the opinion in many professionals all over the world who endorse the fantastic accessories :D