Sign in to follow this  
beefie

Goalkeeping heroes?

My goalkeeping, and general football hero, is one that probably no-one outside of Scotland will have heard of and probably even the younger Scots among you will only know of his son.

This is none other than Jim Gallacher who used to play in nets for Clydebank FC (now no longer a professional top tier team).

My local team as a boy was Clydebank and I would go to their games as often as I could.

Slim Jim played on into his forties and was an exceptional all round goal keeper - in fact, I am sure watching him has helped me to develop my love of goalkeeping.

The late Jock Stein is quoted as saying that he was the best uncapped goalkeeper in Scotland and I would agree with that.

In more modern times, Andy Goram for me was the best there has been. Not being the tallest in the world he was an unbelievable shot stopper.

I was also a big fan of Angelo Peruzzi in Italy - I liked everything about his game. Although, outside Goram, probably Buffon and Casillas are probably two of the greats that no-one can fail to be in awe of. This is especially the case for them considering in what leagues and teams that they are playing as well as the tender ages that they broke into their teams and cemented their positions. If I had to pick out of the two I'd go for Buffon.

Who have been your heroes and influences?

Edwin van der Sar. When I was born and lived in Holland, I lived in Amsterdam, whereby Ajax is the local team, exactly where VDS played. Later on, he played for Holland internationally, Holland are my team because I was born there and they know how to win. He also played at United, whom I hate with a passion, but I still watched him week in and week out.

Oliver Kahn. I spent a bit of time in Germany when we were moving all over the place, and in Munich Olli Kahn was holding a big signing festival, still got his autograph somewhere. I loved his style, he doesn't wait and be graceful, he dives in head first and emerges with the ball, he commands his team, and you don't wanna get into a fight with him. Absolute hero.

David Seaman. He was a one in a million for England and Arsenal, I was compared to him when I played as a little kid, the long hair and charming smile mainly ;) but he was a legend, a true legend of a keeper. Having played for Arsenal, I respect him all the more.

Dale Roberts, I doubt many if any will have heard of him. He played for Rushden and Diamonds FC, and tragically committed suicide earlier this season, because of one of the... people in the Terry family. What people don't know, he grew up in Nottingham, not far away from where I live, and I played with kids alot older than me, when I was 8, they'd be 12-16. This guy was a friend of a friend's, and a very nice person. He always told me some amazing inspirational stories and was the first person to really make me feel as if I was any good, filled me with confidence and played with me despite the age gap. When he went professional, he still remembered me and spoke to me at matches, see how I was getting on, even come down to Bourne on the odd occasion just to catch up. No matter how good all the others are, there was only one Dale Roberts, who was a hero, and still is an inspiration.

Without getting too cheesy, on the back-end of a lecture he said to me "I'd love to see you make me proud mate", words that speak to me every time I go out to a match, or training, or anything. Dead or alive, this guy is my biggest hero by far, you couldn't replace him personally or professionally, and having left us at the tender age of 24, he'll always be remembered by me as nothing but a legend in the making, someone who could have been, but due to circumstances was never allowed.

Sorry if that's a bit of a cheesy essay.

Good post Jack, I totally agree with your choices as well - great keepers all of them.

I think a lot more people will have heard of Dale Roberts than you think, especially because of the tragic circumstances around his death but I also know of a few people who had come into contact with the man and had nothing but good things to say.

I like that fact that like me, your biggest inspiration is not necessarily one of the greats - its all about what you get from these people and probably because there was a more intimate bond between us and these 'lesser' known keepers they will have touched us more.

My Goalkeeping heroes are easy -

Peter Schmeichel and Oliver Kahn

The whole reason i wanted to be a keeper was watching the above. I cant think of a keeper that ive ever watched who i admire more. Others i admire for different reasons such as Gianluigi Buffon for his outstanding positioning but cant come close to the above.

But for me those 2 were the ultimate keepers as they were just so damn good. I would like to think i have modelled myself on these 2 which is probably why i have got the name RuthlessGK lol.

Zaff

Who have been your heroes and influences?....was the question.... I dont want to sound big headed here but my biggest influence was myself! Now let me explain before you role your eyes. I actually started playing football and in goal before i was watching football on tv or knowing the footballers names. I just totally enjoyed playing in goal. I am also my biggest critic as i know what i can and cant do so i know if i could of done better or not in a game. I always said that if i could no longer reach my own expectations and the standard that i demand from myself i would walk away from the game. As i got into football i guess the earliest hero of mine was Peter Shilton. Despite his age he was still a fantastic goalkeeper and playing on the world stage at the age of 40 in the 1990 world cup.

Have to say i did admire the great dane Peter Schmeichel, best goalkeeper i have ever seen and i cant see there be a better goalkeeper than him.

Good post Jack, I totally agree with your choices as well - great keepers all of them.

I think a lot more people will have heard of Dale Roberts than you think, especially because of the tragic circumstances around his death but I also know of a few people who had come into contact with the man and had nothing but good things to say.

I like that fact that like me, your biggest inspiration is not necessarily one of the greats - its all about what you get from these people and probably because there was a more intimate bond between us and these 'lesser' known keepers they will have touched us more.

Thanks man. I got more from him than I did watching the professionals, although admittedly I'd incorporated a bit of Peter Schmeichel into my game, can't say it's really rubbed off on Kasper though. Peter Shilton was too, although I wouldn't say he was built for extra time and shootouts really.

Good topic though, it's interesting to see how different people impact on us, and without them we may not be keepers... they probably had similar ones who they looked up to as well.

When I was growing up, Oliver Kahn had hit his peak and wasn't going down, kept playing like in his golden years, but Seaman was more close by. Both legends.

Growing up I was lucky enough to watch two brilliant gaolkeepers at Derby County.

Peter Shilton- LEGEND. The amount of games he single handedly kept a team out was insane (Newcastle away in the early 90's always sticks in my mind). He was prone to the odd mistake at Derby and was never any good at penalties but when he was on his game no-one could touch him.

The keeper replacing Shilton at Derby was Martin Taylor. Absolutely mental saves he would pull out, excellent on penalties, he wouldn't just tip top corner shots over the bar he'd CATCH THEM! Was an immense goalkeeper until he suffered a double leg break against Southend United which he never really recovered from and meant he played no part in the premiership promotion season. Was nice to see him become a legend at Wycombe Wanderers, particularly with his penalty saves. I think he even scored one on their run to the FA cup semi final??

One of the best goalkeeping performance I've EVER seen was by the Grimsby goalkeeper Paul Reece. A boxing day match at the baseball ground and he was simply unbeatable. Derby were literally queing up to take shots at him, rough him up on corners, take him on at 1on1's, bullet headers from about 4 yards out, the works. He kept everything out. Must have been 20 mental saves he pulled off. Really thought I'd see or hear of him again at a bigger club but he just vanished.

Sam Ashton at FC United and Jon Worsnop are cracking keepers at Step 7 (Evostick Premier) level.

My absolute all time idol's would have to be Andy Goram & Peter Schmeichel. I also have very found memories of watching Tony Parks & John Burridge turn out for Falkirk(my local team).

I also loved watching Andoni Zubizaretta and Hans Van Brockelen in the world cups and euro's when I was younger.

Has changed over time. In order, from my boyhood to my middle age:

Clemence

Arconada

Southall

Schmichael

Buffon

Reina

schmeichel(snr)

kahn

casillas

and recently, just discovered (stupid me) 1.71m oscar perez rojas.

Allan Mcgregor is who inspired me to get into keeping being a great player and his crazy antics off the field

Rangers keeper wasnt he?

Carlo Cudicini - he's the feller that got me into playing in goal, Then Cech arrived at chelsea and poor carlo was pretty much lost :(

victor valdes .. from zero to hero !

he was always the best .. he had the ability .. everyone was against him .. except barcelona

barcelona believed in him .. even though he made lots and lots of mistakes .. they kept believing in him .. they fixed all his mistakes. . and now look at him .. one of the best goalies in the world ..

My keeping hero would have to be Bruce grobbelaar, amasing keeper and a character too.

Loved watching bruce in action.

Zippy good shout. Bruce would always make your heart beat a bit faster, never knew what to expect sometimes.

no one hear knows him but jhon bush. mls 2008 goalkeeper of the year and hes from albany and i live there so thats why

no one hear knows him butJohn Busch. mls 2008 goalkeeper of the year and hes from albany and i live there so thats why

I've heard of him, thought I'm not sure why :P

My hero is Artur Boruc. Lifelong Celtic fan, and I would say he is the best keeper we have ever had. Crazy guy, brilliant shot-stopper, excellent at 1 v 1s. Just an all round brilliant keeper.