Sign in to follow this  
beefie

Goalkeeping heroes?

Haha, only occurred to me after you said it, you're alright I guess ;)

Oliver Khan.

Loved the way he was a brick wall in goal, started fights with his own defenders and was so agressive.

He was my hero growing up :heart:

Same! I always watched football, played a tiny amount, but it was Seaman and him! He was unbeatable, can remember only one blunder, got into fights with EVERYONE, he was just a lesson to watch.

Yeah, you do mate, you'll get a year older and do the same to the younger generation of unknowingly filthy minded keepers that come on here...

I've never heard anything so well put ever, it's just exactly what I was thinking :)

Sadly there aren't too many younger than me on here!

my heros have got be Artur Boruc when he played at Celtic what a goalkeeper he was for celtic.

And also Shay Given it has to be him been probably the best keeper in the premiership over the last 5 years IMO.

being a west ham fan my hero was ludo miklosko, he was superb for west ham and a quality man off the field having met him a couple of times.

My humble opinion may be slightly skewed by my club allegiance, but when I first started paying attention to club football, Wayne Hennessey. When he was first loaned to Stockport County, they set the football league record of most wins in a row without conceding. And this was from a twenty year old whose number of first team appearances you could count on one hand.

More recently, County's Matt Glennon. Not so much because of his skill, but the fact when he joined Stockport he played on non-contract terms for a few months before they could release the players to gain funds to tie him down (let's pretend he was doing it for County and not because no-one else wanted him). Plus some of the performances he put in, especially with the bumbling buffoons that made up his back line.

So yeah, no big names for me. I've never paid that much attention to football outside County and world cups/euros. I know more about it than rugby, though, give me that at least.

Well I look (or looked) upto 3 keepers, David Seaman, David James and Jorge Campus.

I couldn't tell ya why David James and David Seaman lol :lol: but Jorge Campus because his style of play has always influenced me and I sort of play the same style too, very acrobatic and full on :cool:

Long time reader first post.This is great forum for goalkeepers.

On topic now..My goalkeeping hero is Peter Schmeichel.Only for him being around when i was growing up ive no doubt that i wouldnt be playing in goal myself.The greatest of all time,an absolute hero.

My hero growing up was Chris Woods and David Seaman was a massive influence on my early career as i attended Bob Wilsons goalkeeping school every summer for six years. More recently it would have to be Jose Luis Chilavert not only a great goalkeeper with phoenomenal precense but a score of fantastic goals and great ability in his left foot which was like a wand.

From growing up and being a LFC fan mine is Bruce Grobbelar. Great entertainment and immense agility. That backward dive from 10 yards out and tipping over the bar always sticks with me. The jelly leg penalty saves, pure class and a great entertainer. I have respect for Schmeichel as a goalkeeper as in his prime he was the best around. Excellent shot stopper and like a brickwall on one and ones.

Dino Zoff was my inspiration as a wee lad and got me playing football.

Now it is Jon Busch from MLS side SJ Earthquakes, love his heart and fearlessness!

My inspiration when I played amateur football was guys like Rene Higuita, Neville Southall, David Seaman etc. The Goalkeepers who inspire me today are Artur Boruc, Shay Given, Victor Valdes.

Over the past year and a half since I've started coaching my inspiration has come from the two Scottish ex-pro Goalkeepers that I have learned the most from, that being John Ritchie and Alan Main.

Nick Colgan was the one who made me become a keeper. Talking non hibs there's a few like Buffon, the man defies physics! How can you be so quick and agile at that size?! Schmeichel, Kahn and Valdes are other ones who I look up to :)

David Seaman for me. Guy had such an immense presence it was unreal.

Ive still got a signed autobiography from him somewhere...