Sign in to follow this  
Chris W

Who is the best GK in the Prem?

I was thinking about this today at work and now that Edwin Van Der Saar has retired who is the number one number 1?

Joe Hart is young and English but he's getting by on his athletic ability at the moment I think.

Arsenal hate goal keepers.

Petr Cech isn't the keeper he was before he had his head knocked off.

Gomez...There aren't the words.

DeGea is unproven at this level.

This lead me to go with Pepe Reina but I wasn't 100% happy.

shay given, reina and joe hart. top 3 in the prem.

As a Toon fan I love Shay Given, I also think Carlo Cudicini is underrated.

i use to rate cudicini. he was good but past his best. let some soft goals in for spurs. that motorbike accident didn't help when he broke his wrists

Joe hart .. absolutely Joe hart .. .. have you seen tottenham's match .. ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL ! even though he made a mistake or two .. but who doesn't ?

Joe hart .. absolutely Joe hart .. .. have you seen tottenham's match .. ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL ! even though he made a mistake or two .. but who doesn't ?

Definately have to say Joe Hart! Cech is still a solid keeper though.

Im aussie so i like Schwarzer as well!!

In the world i will have to say Manuel Neuer

Pepe Reina hands down, three golden glove awards in his first three years. Hardly ever misses a game, and rarely makes a mistake.

Top premier keeper and up there as world best.

Joe Hart is athletic, he's very cocky and over confident, I'm sure that'll get him back one day. He's been getting by on his ability to leap, admittedly it is the best in the PL.

Never seen much of Pepe Reina, although I have seen mistakes when I did watch him, only little things, once he's parried a ball turning the wrong way to get back etc, but he has the best kicking in the Premier League.

De Gea hasn't proven himself yet in my opinion.

I don't see why Wojciech Szczesny shouldn't be up here, he's had a better season than Hart I reckon, and he's everything you need in a keeper. Great kicking skills, great athleticism and communicaion with defence (although the defence is god awful), unflappable calm and confidence in high pressure situations.

I can't think of many others with those qualities.

Which as your Premier League ave as your Premier League XI in a 4-4-2?

Szczesny had a better season than Hart??! Hart kept 29 clean sheets last season!

Hart has a much better defence than Szczesny has to deal with.

Hart has athleticism, Szczesny has many assets.

You can't blame goals on goalkeepers, that's the mindset of a goalkeeper, and if that's the case, how can clean sheets be the issue?

City don't exactly have a great defense either with the execption of Company who had a great season last yr their defense is pretty average. I rate Szczesny but there's no way he had a better season than Hart. I like the fact Hart is a bit over confident, nothing seems to phase him. Look at Rob Green in world cup against USA, he looked terrified and the rest is history. Capello made a huge mistake not playing Hart. He's our best keeper since Seaman and he's defo in top five in europe along with Neuer, Casillas, Cesar and Buffon.

City don't exactly have a great defense either with the execption of Company who had a great season last yr their defense is pretty average. I rate Szczesny but there's no way he had a better season than Hart. I like the fact Hart is a bit over confident, nothing seems to phase him. Look at Rob Green in world cup against USA, he looked terrified and the rest is history. Capello made a huge mistake not playing Hart. He's our best keeper since Seaman and he's defo in top five in europe along with Neuer, Casillas, Cesar and Buffon.

I think you are really over-rating Hart. He's good, but Buffon is better, Neuer is better, Casillas is better, Cesar is better, he's no better than De Gea, I mean he's athletic but that's it really. He's really not in the top 5 in Europe.

bit surprised no-one has mentioned Jussi Jaaskelainen, on his day a truely outstanding keeper. Doent get the headlines because he plays at Bolton.

I have to agree with PhilD83.

Joe Hart is the best in the Prem. Although Reina is insane.

Jack, Szczesny is no comparison to Hart I am afraid.

1. Joe Hart

2. Pepe Reina

3. Shay Given

4. Petr Cech

5. Craig Gordon

I haven't seen anything from De Gea so I cant comment on him.

In Europe, I dont think Joe Hart is top 5 in Europe. You have got J.Cesar, Casillas, Buffon, Neuer at top 4, then you got people like Hugo Lloris, Rene Adler and Samir Handanovic, I rate all these above Joe Hart to be honest (and I am a City fan (and Joe Hart is one of my favorite player)) haha

Wilm

Craig Gordon is not the 5th best in the prem.

Szczesny may not be better than Hart, but he's definitely better than Gordon. Jaaskelainen is also better than Gordon

Joe Hart has proved himself playing in the premiership so how can De Gea be as good as him??? De Gea will be a world class keeper. Can't wait to see him this season.

I'm also looking forward to watching Keiren Westwood for Sunderland, i'm sure he'll prove himself to be a top premier league keeper.

Top 5 in Premier league

1. Joe Hart

2. Shay Given

3.Pepe Reina

4.Petr Cech

5.Tim Howard

Top 5 in Europe

1. Iker Casillas (best in the world)

2.Manuel Neuer

3.Julio Cesar

4.Gigi Buffon

5.Joe Hart

De Gea has proven himself in Europe with Athletico, this is when we were talking about goalkeepers in Europe.

Wait till Shay has a full season with Villa, he'll be keeper on the season next year, if Szczesny doesn't have an even better season.

Hart is not in the top 5 in the world.

Phil, I am sorry but Hart isn't better then Hugo Lloris.

Jack, I rate Gordon pretty highly, mainly because of how quick is reactions are. I didnt say De Gea hasnt proven himself I said I haven't seen him play at all mate.

In Europe

1. Neuer

2. Casillas

3. Buffon

4. J.Cesar

5. Lloris

6-10. Handanovic, Adler, Hart, Reina, Romero

Yeah, sorry, I was talking to Phil on the De Gea comment.

I do agree with your rankings roughly, I'm not a huge fan of Casillas, he's a bit too graceful for me, I prefer Valdes, but only because he's more jump in head first, not wait to be pushed, like Kahn.

I actually agree, Casillas is overrated but he has proven he is so good, so many times that its impossible not to put him so high up

Wilm

Oh, no doubt he's fantastic, I don't like him just because he's not my style, while I would jump into a challenge head first (not literally), he would give it a second and do some amazing save.

But I do agree, he's a wonderful goalkeeper, I wouldn't say best in the world but definitely in the top 3 in my opinion

Loving this discussion. Szcezney (spelling?) did not have a better season than Joe Hart, he couldn't even cement himself as the number 1 at a club with horrible keepers. I like him for a young keeper and I think that there is more to come from him in the future. I'm not even sure he's better than other young keepers in the Prem.

Hart has the best defence in the prem in front of him if you believe the stats, I think City kept the most clean sheets last year. This doesn't stop him being a good gk. He had a good season and I'm sure he'll mature into a very good keeper but for the moment I'm going for Riena. And as for europe he's not in the top 5.

I don't think Casillas is overrated, he's the starting gk for the best national side in the world and that involved keeping Riena out of the side. He's played for Real Madrid for years!

Does anyone rate Steklenburg or Vincent Enyeama?

Loving this discussion. Szcezney (spelling?) did not have a better season than Joe Hart, he couldn't even cement himself as the number 1 at a club with horrible keepers. I like him for a young keeper and I think that there is more to come from him in the future. I'm not even sure he's better than other young keepers in the Prem.

Hart has the best defence in the prem in front of him if you believe the stats, I think City kept the most clean sheets last year. This doesn't stop him being a good gk. He had a good season and I'm sure he'll mature into a very good keeper but for the moment I'm going for Riena. And as for europe he's not in the top 5.

I don't think Casillas is overrated, he's the starting gk for the best national side in the world and that involved keeping Riena out of the side. He's played for Real Madrid for years!

Dude, are you high? Szczesny is the number 1 at the club, and he's changed the fact that we have horrible keepers. Fabianski had a good run too until he hurt his shoulders. I think you'll find he is the Number 1 at the club, and Szczesny and Fabianski are both decent, and have both really come out this year, thank god Almunia injured himself.

It doesn't stop him being a good GK, but it does help the stats swing towards his favor, yeah Arsenal's defence has been crap last season, so it's ridiculous to say he didn't do a good job, he did a great job with what he had.

Ok I'm not high and I didn't mean to cause any offence. From what I saw last season Arsenal played all three of the above mentioned Gks, now this may have been due to injuries which I wasn't aware of and if this is the case then I'm sorry.

It's true that Hart has a better back line in front of him but he's also a better keeper. I know Szczesny has potential and I hope he fills it.