Sign in to follow this  
Mankins

Any tips for goalkeepers on being 'LOUD' ?

hey guys, just asking for a few tips on being 'loud' as a goalkeeper, everyone says theres nothing worse then a quiet goalkeeper how can i show this in a game, being loud? and what effects can they have on my outfield players

Many thanks, Mankins.

Firstly, commend your defenders when they do something good. If the clear it, say good clearance, unless its a bad cock up. When they tackle say well in.

I think you have to be a control freak - tell the defence what you want them to do.

The biggest thing? Believe in yourself. It's like being a captain, there's a lot to see do and say, and a lot of responcibility.

Tell your defenders where there's threats, where there's men they may not have seen, tell them to get on their man, or drop back or what ever

Most importantly though imo is "clear" or "keepers" - make them KNOW who's ball it is.

Pump yourself up, and just shout. The penalty area is YOUR territory - make them know it!

(Also yelling KEEPERS! loud can put off attackers!)

As for effects on the players - like i said, applaude them for clearing, heading etc. Even the little clearances. When they make an error DO NOT yell at them saying things like "that's rubbish" clean up after their mistake and say simple things like "heads up"

Hope that helps.

I agree with Mokrie.

The first thing you want to do is tell your defenders what to do, tell them to keep the bowl shape, push out, mark their man, hold the line, whatever it may be. This has two advantages, obviously making the team better is one, but another may just be people being impressed by you because you take charge of the came, people begin to see captain material about you. Commending what they do is also good.

I can only really echo what Mokrie said otherwise, he pretty much summed it up in good detail. Congrats Mokrie for beating me to it! ;)

Praise and encourage. That's the best thing, if your defence turn on your you're up a creek without a paddle.

Words like "Hold" "Push Up" and "Squeeze" should be words you use alot when in bed with the missus and on the pitch.

Effectively play as a sweeper, see the game as a kind of outfield player and say what you see "Jonesy, left shoulder!" "Tommy, don't get sucked across" "back 4, hold" things like that.

As well as being loud... there's nothing wrong with a quiet word on a corner or something just saying "look, get a tackle in earlier next time yeah?" or just quiet words of encouragement and people will thankyou in the dressing room.

Or if it's a tense game, relax your team... slow the tempo, let the outfielders get together and pull through for the win.

I remember playing on a really windy day, it was a tight, fast game, and i was stood on the edge of my box at about 80 minutes and shouted "arrrrr, she blows" and saw my team mates grinning and they relaxed and we went on to score 2 in the last 10 mins!

It's all about your manner with your team mates, shout when you need to, and talk when you need to. :)

there's nothing wrong with a quiet word on a corner or something just saying "look, get a tackle in earlier next time yeah?" or just quiet words of encouragement and people will thankyou in the dressing room.

Especially important if a player makes a mistake - you can't say much to the player by shouting. sometimes taking him aside and respectfully saying something works better - I know i'd rather someone say quietly "don't worry about it. Move on, and [let's say i've charged out too soon] don't come out as early next time" followed by a pat on the shoulder than "GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER MOKRIE!*".

Especially important if a player makes a mistake - you can't say much to the player by shouting. sometimes taking him aside and respectfully saying something works better - I know i'd rather someone say quietly "don't worry about it. Move on, and [let's say i've charged out too soon] don't come out as early next time" followed by a pat on the shoulder than "GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER MOKRIE!*".

Yeah, adult football is when you shout more because people won't take it in if you just talk it to them, but people do in everything younger than adults. When it's juniors, you have to put it in a much more friendly way,, that's what I do, and I get commended by the manager and appreciations from the player, rather than simply yelling and them thinking I'm some sort of freak haha

In my opinon ( as im only under 17) you need to gain confidence. if you are not used to commanding your defence. start with small but very important shouts e.g 'Man on, play away, yes play it to me' once you have that it will come naturally to you and you go on to more in depth shouts.

In my opinon ( as im only under 17) you need to gain confidence. if you are not used to commanding your defence. start with small but very important shouts e.g 'Man on, play away, yes play it to me' once you have that it will come naturally to you and you go on to more in depth shouts.

The easiest shout to make imo is when a defender tackles: "Well in!" :P

Critical is letting your defenders know whether you want the ball if they have it "Keepers open" or "No, Don't want it!" that usually solves the backpass issue - i think most backpasses that go awry are down to the defender making the decision, not the keeper.

Training is the perfect place and time to build this up. (for the record, I also suck at this - not because i dont know what to say, but because, for some reason, my mouth just stays shut)

Well,

Im u15 Myself and i have a lot of impact on my back 4.. make sure your telling them to shuffle with the ball telling them to squeeze and push up. Really let them know your there, keep in their ear 24/7, No peice and quiet... your the BOSS !

Also what i like to do is you know try to get into the strikers heads, call them all the names under the sun, QUIETLY, NOTHING Unsportsmanlike, just getting into their heads, letting them know who's boss. im 15 and im only 5'5 or 5'4 and i still give it to my defenders and strikers. GOALKEEPERS aren't suppose to be nice on the pitch... it's a different story off it.. but on the pitch your the boss.. just be screaming at them buddy. I Usually come back from most matches with a bit of a sore throat, they like the PRESENCE Goalkeepers have. The ability to tell your back 4 whats what, is what can be the difference between being accademy level and not.

HOPE THIS HELPS ...

Also what i like to do is you know try to get into the strikers heads, call them all the names under the sun, QUIETLY, NOTHING Unsportsmanlike,

Thats all well and good untill you say something to someone and it ends up in a good ol' fashioned 22 man brawl! :D

We were playing a really dirty team of gypseys on their home pitch with glass, beercans, dogshite, you name it, it was on there.

We were 3-0 up and they had a corner in what was the last kick of the game, i said to one of the strikers "nice boots" then he said "uuh fanks", then i said "who'd you steal them from?" and he pushed me into my team mate on the near post who then turned and floored the striker, then before you know it there's both teams going at it, i had someone elses blood on my gloves and kit, there were people on the floor. When i turned around, all me team mates were there saying "won't happen again joey" Such cammeradery :heart:

The ref blew for full time and that was that

They didn't come anywhere near us in future games.

So be careful what you say ;)

Hahahahahahaaaaaa

Reminds me of the match against Werrington, helping chavs get off drugs for many years. A team full of pikeys, everyone was pushing around in a corner, there was a bit of dog poo on the pitch and I said to this really tall chav "did your mum produce this?" and he's like "YOO FOKIN WOT?" and then it all broke out. I do love their bravado, makes me laugh ever so much!

I got applauded at training the next week because I got a free kick as he shoved me in the last kick of the game and we held on 1-0. I wasn't thinking of the goal at the time, I was more worried about having a laugh, that's what football's all about!

What a great day ;)

I can see why you're called The Joker, you do come out with such quirky comments ;)

hahahaa it's great fun!

I've only been applauded at training once, and that was when i was a sub the saturday before the thursay training, my brother got tackled quite hard, and he shoved the player that did it, then all of the opposition team started shoving him, so i got up off the bench, ran full pelt into the crowds of players, skittled a few of them, threw some, took some, started windmilling like a loon :lol: then i got red-carded :(

Turned up to the training with pats on the back and all sorts, the gaffer even payed the 13 quid fine ;)

Stick up for your family and team mates! Even if you get sent off when you weren't even meant to be on the pitch :heart:

It must be so humiliating to be shown red even if you're not legally in the game! Well, that, or alot of fun!

I applaud you myself for having the balls to do that, must have been great fun, see I'm too awesome to be on the bench ;)

It's all about standing up for your club, and your family, family honour ;) if anyone attacked Zod (who allegedly is my father now) I'd pop a cap in their ass! And bottle caps aren't as friendly as they look! ;)

I applaud you myself for having the balls to do that, must have been great fun, see I'm too awesome to be on the bench ;)

It's all about standing up for your club, and your family, family honour ;) if anyone attacked Zod (who allegedly is my father now) I'd pop a cap in their ass! And bottle caps aren't as friendly as they look! ;)

I was injured mate, did my ankle in traning, but adrenaline kicked in and that was that :)

You tried a bottle cap in your ass? :unsure:

Each to their own my friend ;)

Ahahaha! I suppose I set myself up for that one ;)

Yeah, good old Adrenaline!