Sign in to follow this  
GoalTender

De Gea, Hart, Szczesny - a new breed?

Is there a new trend forming of the highly confident young keeper with high technical ability who is able to perform at the highest levels of professional football without feeling the pressure you'd normally expect?

10 years ago if you had 2 keepers of similar ability, the first choice keeper would typically be the one with more years under his belt. Is that now becoming a non-issue?

I think if you have shown you can handle yourself at the highest level, you're confident and technically sound there's no reason you shouldn't be top, however experience is a good thing to have for the older keepers, it seems to be being made more redundant.

Glad Szczesny is getting more exposure.

I think if you have shown you can handle yourself at the highest level, you're confident and technically sound there's no reason you shouldn't be top, however experience is a good thing to have for the older keepers, it seems to be being made more redundant.

Glad Szczesny is getting more exposure.

I was in the gym watching Arsenal v Udinese and when I saw Szczesny make that pena save, I instantly thought Jack will be so happy (cos your a Szczesny fan) hahah

They watch the football in your gym? :o I'm there!

Hey, thanks for thinking of me, I was quite ecstatic ;)

They have TV's at the end of the treadmills, I was just watching on my rest time, and it happened to be the pena when I was on my rest haha

I think that's bad luck, if there's ever an Arsenal match on, don't sit down after using the treadmill, it's clearly bad luck ;)

If not for those cute innocent eyes, I'd have come down there and kicked your ass! In a penalty shootout, but luckily for you, I'm in a good mood ;)

Yeah, well a water gun can do quite the damage when I'm using it, I mean, not that I ever use them, but--- shut up Jack -.-

Anyway! I'm in a forgiving mood, so you get off lightly ;)

It must be said - I am a fan of Szczeny. I think Poland produce some of the best keepers around, e.g. Boruc, Dudek, Szczeny in the future, Fabianksi, Gregory Sandomierski, another one for the future.

De Gea hasn't impressed me. He's looked very shaky. It's definately a new breed, but I don't know if age is has been an issue in the last few years, Cech signed for Chelsea quite young and has held his spot ever since. De Gea needs a great performance to get him going. As for the other two, they're doing outstanding and getting the exposure needed, they just need to keep impressing. Looks like Arsenal aren't in search for a goalkeeper anymore either! Szczesny has been outstanding! He got a hand on a couple of the unstoppable goals against United too, which is not easy at all, not even the top keepers would touch them in the top corner.

Agreed about the Szczesny part mate, but De Gea has had several solid performances and many critics are backing away from him now.

Yeah, well a water gun can do quite the damage when I'm using it, I mean, not that I ever use them, but--- shut up Jack -.-

Anyway! I'm in a forgiving mood, so you get off lightly ;)

lol

De Gea hasn't impressed me. He's looked very shaky. It's definately a new breed, but I don't know if age is has been an issue in the last few years, Cech signed for Chelsea quite young and has held his spot ever since. De Gea needs a great performance to get him going. As for the other two, they're doing outstanding and getting the exposure needed, they just need to keep impressing. Looks like Arsenal aren't in search for a goalkeeper anymore either! Szczesny has been outstanding! He got a hand on a couple of the unstoppable goals against United too, which is not easy at all, not even the top keepers would touch them in the top corner.

completely agree

I really believe De Gea will become a very good keeper, of course not better than Kahn or Edwin there, but something very close!

If De Gea will get support from his team to grow, he's going to be perfect ;)