Sign in to follow this  
quinn-1888

Quinn-1888's ventures into the Glasgow And District league.

I'm Mick, I play for Renton Youth. Our league, which we narrowly lost last year has folded, so we step up into the Second Division of the Glasgow and District Youth Football League U17s.

First game is on Sunday, had 3 pre-season friendlies and we looked really sharp on Tuesday against Cardross Red Arrows. We narrowly lost 2-1 but had a barrowload of chances. Some new strikers are needed I think.

Review on last season:

The league had started by the time I had joined, but the goalkeeper left after 5 games, and after a season out, I decided to capitalize on this opportunity. Played my debut in September against Ardencaple, in a poorly played 1-1 draw. I made a brilliant save from point-blank range to keep us at level-pegging. Also picked up a MOTM award :) The next time I took to the field was against Oban Saints in a comfortable 3-0 victory. I didn't have much to do, just the occasional long ball to collect. After Oban, we played Aitkenhead Thistle in the cup. We ran out 7-1 winners, their goal coming from a free header at a corner. Could have organised my defence better, but then again, they could have seen him to pick him up. The next game was the next round of the cup, and after not playing for the whole of December, we played a very strong Rochsoles side on January 16, a match that they won 2-0 Alas, we were out of the Scottish Cup. Despite the result, I picked up my second MOTM Award, with a couple of key saves in the first half. Fitness was an issue for the team, as they grabbed their goals late on. We lost our next game 3-2 against Ardencaple in the Leage Cup. It was a great end-to-end game, but their extra time winner could have been avoided, it was a cross that wrong footed me and soared into the back post. We played Helensburgh next, and we ran out 4-0 winners. Didn't do anything wrong at all that game, It was comfortable, but I did have a couple of things to do. Away to Millngaive for a game in which we won 4-2. It was a tight affair, and a couple of defensive mistakes led to their goals. Luckily we had two super-subs at our disposal, one won a penalty and the other scored. We played our old nemesis Ardencaple again, this time in the League, at home. It was a crucial game and put us in with a great chance of winning the lague if we were to pick up all 3 points. It turned out to be the teams (and my) best performance of the season. I had 4 one-on-ones that I saved, my handling was great at corners etc. and I even saved a penalty. This game was my favourite I have played in my life so far. Then came a very tight game against Helensburgh. We ran out 1-0 winners, with my handling being great again. Then it came to the big rivalry. Dumbarton Rock was up next, and we ran out 2-1 winners. The only thing I remember having to do was catch a late cross and pick the ball out of the net after a crazy own goal. Blair Thistle was up next, forerunners for the title. They won 3-1 and I can remember not having a great game. I let a free kick bounce off me and someone on the other team tapped home. My centre-half was absolutely solid but. Largs Colts at home was our next challenge, the team that was bottom of the league. 3-1 winners we were, but made it much harder than it had to be. I made a brilliant save fom a free kick early on, and after that it was comfortable. My kicking in this game was fantastic, as we had cracked open a new ball, and it just felt brilliant to put your foot through. Out next hurdle was Torrance Thistle, a strong, physical side. We let in a goal from a header and an unlucky penalty to be given away. There was a shit-storm at half time, but we showed our fight, and desire for the league and we scored three great goals to claim the points. Away to Oban was our next match, and we were dominating. I think I had 3 touches of the ball. 6-0 with six different scorers. Passed them off the park that day. The next week was the final week in the season, and we faced Blair Thistle. A draw was required, but the outfielders bottled it and it was only me and my centre-half that showed up. Their first goal was a looping header, but we rebounded strongly and scored soon after. It was backs to the wall from then. We soaked up the pressure nicely until half time, with me making another point-blank save. We went out to pass and frustrate them, but unfortunately, they were first to the ball in midfield. I had two great one on one stops and looked good to make my third, when it bobbles just before my hand, and agonizingly finds the net. It was go time from there. We needed a goal and it was me who almost managed it as well. The ball from a free kick out right was swung in and headed back across goal, unfortunately for me, I missed the contact of the ball by a mere couple of inches. So close and yet so far was the moral of that season, as we succumbed to third place.

At the presentation night, I won the Player's Player Of The Year award. I'll upload the pictures as soon as I can get them on my computer :)

Anyway, I am really looking forward to this league, and we play Easthall Star on Sunday at home at 2 o'clock. Heres hoping for a result. I will keep you updated as my season progresses.

Wow, that was quite an interesting read mate :D

Good luck to you for this season!

RENTON YOUTH - 4

EASTHALL STAR - 3

An excellent performance by everyone. Playing a tough mob from Easterhouse. Got a good touch early on, albeit on my left and screamed it over halfway. We got a great goal and went 1 up. Our defence contained well, and a long throw in was flicked on and I managed to tip over from a close ranger bullet header. Punched the resultant corner away, and then they came straight back. A goal mouth scramble eventually broke to one of their players, who duly finished to my top right. We picked ourselves up and dominated from the kick-off, but they got a second when their pacey winger hit the by-line and cut it back to their big striker who fired it through a host of men into my bottom right. It was a great finish tbh. 2-1 Easthall. I was commanding my defence well at corners and came to collect 3 in a row.

In the second half, things got dirty. They had a man sent off after a swipe and out centre-mid. We were firing the free kicks into the box all day, but no-one was connecting with the deliveries. Our big centre half went up and smashed a header into the top bag. 2-2. Game was on. They broke down my right hand side, and their man cut inside unleashed one from 14 yards out and I made a great save as I tipped it high round my left hand post for a corner. Collected the corner and booted it up the park. We hit them on the break and won another free kick in a dangerous area. The ball was played in, but yet again we couldn't make the most of it. They won a corner and after a goal-mouth scramble, their midfielder found the roof of my net. Could have done better if I'm being honest. We pressed and pressed and showed great fight, and after they had another man sent off, we went out to attack. We won yet another free kick in a dangerous position, and it was our winger who headed home for 3-3. They were pressing, but with no real threat. We hit them on the break and it was the same midfielder who scored the third who fired home. We contained them well, and my centre-half cleared one off the line with 10 minutes to go. Overall it was a fantastic performance from the boys, and a much needed 3 points.

Awrite mate am in your league haha play for thornliebank what a shite start we've had but we are picking up !! you'se sound like a good mob ;) See you soon mate.

haha aye ano mahn getting scouted for ayr united pro youth but so its all good haha yous are doing great one of the better teams well done keep it up and keep updating the diary its good ;)