Sign in to follow this  
MattForbes

One on One's

Need a bit of help here lads, I'm okay coming out and collecting a through ball if a striker is chasing it but what should I do if a striker has the ball at his feat through the defence? No defenders challenging him he's just through on goal!

Do I go out hit the ground and hope he doesn't tap it round me?

Go out and stand up to him and hope my reactions help me get to it?

Go half way and make myself big?

Help please!

Need a bit of help here lads, I'm okay coming out and collecting a through ball if a striker is chasing it but what should I do if a striker has the ball at his feat through the defence? No defenders challenging him he's just through on goal!

Do I go out hit the ground and hope he doesn't tap it round me?

Go out and stand up to him and hope my reactions help me get to it?

Go half way and make myself big?

Help please!

I had a one on one at the weekend... I think it varies on where the striker is coming from and what speed really....I was just off my line he was coming straight down middle but his starting position was just outside my box, i stayed on my feet aslong as i could and was able to dive the right way and get my hand to it and push it to safety

It's true. If he's coming in slowly you need to stay on your feet and make yourself big, while slowly going to ground, if he's coming in slowly he's more likely to take the shot. If he's sprinting in you wanna dive and try to snatch the ball off of him, but make sure you don't mistime it, or it's a penalty and you're off

i go the at the same pace there coming to me at and keep a cushion only dive for the ball when they make a mistake or when they shoot try to stay on your feet at all times

if they are coming slowly .. you 2 come out slowly . if they stop .. you 2 stop .. and stay large .. dont get yourself to the ground so they wont chip you . wait for the moment and attack

Some good advice so far.

What I would say is that if they're sprinting and have their head down then they're more likely to go for a blast so watch them pull back and get into your ready position. If they're jogging or running with their head up then they have the option to place it or go for the lob so stay on your feet for as long as you can. Don't do anything that makes it easy for them - make them make the decision don't make it for them.

Most importantly, don't second guess yourself. If you come out - come out, don't change your mind and backtrack, or vice versa. Make a decision and stick to it. "Commit" !

wil this help...i see goalkeepers like oliver kahn and manuel neuer do this...they spread their legs apart..........like opening the legs when charging the striker......will it help or just worsen the situation...

spreading your legs asks for trouble but some keepers have a presence, where they intimidate the striker - the trick is i believe to "guide" or "force" the striker to go one way or another so YOU're dictating where the ball will go.

Footy training thurs, i did a few successful 1v1s - and i firgure out the trick was speed. Come out fast, hard, and know what you're gonna do. I even won a goal kick by punting the ball against the striker at one point, and another heard people go "No don't!" but i think i surprised them with my pace :)

There are so many variables, but ideally you'll make the forward shoot when you want him to, not when he wants to. Come out of your goal approx half way to the situation, then pause. In the forward's mind, you've stopped, so he'll plan to get a bit nearer to the goal. But, by the time he's seen you pause, you've already set off again. The result is that he knocks the ball forward just as you move again to close him down. This should change the situation from 40-60 to 50-50 in your favour and you can dive at his feet and smother the ball.

But in practise, it will vary so much, and so many approaches will be valid. Overall, be very confident; the goal belongs to you and you're not gonna let a forward put the ball in it!