Sign in to follow this  
TheGhost

TheGhost's Season 2011 / 12

The new season is here and unfortunately I have only been able to play 1 out of the 3 games so far. Cricket season overlaps football here in the UK and last week was my last game thankfully.

The one game that I did appear in, we won 5-1 so the signs are encouraging. The previous two games we won 4-1 and 3-2 in my absence.

I played well in my only appearance, claiming high balls well and particularly my distribution was a lot better. I sometimes tend to struggle with consistency, which can be an issue especially if they have a commanded CB on the opposition. Usually though we play decent football and look to build from the back, so I am usually looking to play the ball short and quickly to our full-backs.

I made a decent save low to my right from a volley from their CF, He volleyed the ball from just outside the area and I got behind it well despite the fact that it slightly deviated in the air.

The only other save of note was a strongly struck shot from close range which I managed to get my body behind well and my handling was good.

Their only goal came in the last 10 minutes of the game where we failed to deal with a corner struck high and past the back post. Their CB rose well and headed across the goal over myself. I felt as though I could have possibly positioned myself a little better, as I had probably came a couple of yards too far off my line.

Encouraging signs seen as though it was my first game and that I have yet to train.

Used my Sells which I had left over from last season, and they seemed OK, but feel as though they are on the way out. I have another spare pair of those, but decided to treat myself for the start of the new season with a pair of Selsports (Both pictured below)

17529.jpg

36238.jpg

Anyway 3 wins out of 3 for the team which is the most important thing, I will let you all know how we play on Saturday. Playing a decent team who have also won all 3 of their opening games!

Stay Tuned!

Nice write up and I'll stay tuned for the rest of the season. seems like you had a good first game and things will only get better once you start training and playing more.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about the goal - with what you said about claiming high balls earlier and the cross going deep it's very difficult to be in 100% the best position. And no man on the post to help out?

Nice write up and I'll stay tuned for the rest of the season. seems like you had a good first game and things will only get better once you start training and playing more.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about the goal - with what you said about claiming high balls earlier and the cross going deep it's very difficult to be in 100% the best position. And no man on the post to help out?

What had happened is that the cross was hit high and to the back post, too far to claim it. I watched it all the way but had probably left me a line a couple of yards too much, hence why I was unable to track back and make the save. Man on the post tried to clear it but just kicked it into the roof of the net!

Glad you enjoyed it. Have decided to end my cricket season early to play this Saturday, so can't wait really. Still have a few midweek games so training won't be happening properly until they finish. Hopefully this year training won't be held on astro-turf!

Played on Saturday and we managed to win 3-2 despite being 2-0 down.

It was against a team that were promoted last year and so we had never played them before. When we arrived we were shocking to find out how small the pitch was! Calling it a stamp was an understatement! I knew that it would be hard to keep a clean sheet as realistically you could have shot from anywhere! I started to warm up having a few shots and instantly realised that my gloves were unsuitable in the wet weather. Even though they are not that old it felt as though I was trying to catch a bar of soap! Think I will be investing in a pair of Aqua gloves, seems a wise choice as I will be playing my football in the UK!

5 minutes into the warm up and disaster struck! The new cheap balls we had for training were swerving everywhere and when I went to collect a strongly hit shot it dipped at the last minute and struck me directly on the end of my fingers! After 5 minutes of profanity the whistle went!

The heavy rain fall which started to fall did anything but help, as the pitch soon became heavy underfoot and my choice of wearing my moulded studs seemed a poor one! A long throw came into the box and was cleared only for an opposition player to be completely unmarked on the edge of the box. His chest and volley found the bottom corner through a crowd of players leaving me with no chance, unfortunately I was left watching as the ball nestled in the back of the net. 1-0.

The second goal again left me with no chance. The ball was cleared by an opposition defender and our back four attempted to play their striker offside only for him to latch on the through ball and slot the ball home. Two nil down after 20 minutes and things were looking bad! Fortunately we started to take control of the game, playing our usual attractive passing game and with only 2 minutes before half-time we managed to pull one back as they struggled to clear the ball from a corner.

The first 15 minutes of the second half was non-stop pressure on our behalf. We completely took control of the game as firstly our winger lobbed their keeper with a cross come shot, and then secondly we went ahead after our striker was allowed a free header from a corner.

I was employed as a sweeper keeper for the majority of the second half as they continued to look to lump the ball up at any opportunity. One save of note was when they had 3 on 2 from a wide position, their winger crossing in and I managed to touch the ball off the forehead of their oncoming striker who would have easily scored.

We managed to soak up everything they threw at us in the last 10 minutes as they threw men forward looking for an equaliser. They had another golden chance as a cross came in and the unmarked striker had a header, luckily he struck it straight at me as the final whistle sounded.

3-2 in the end to with our 4-1 and 5-1 victories so far. Encouraging signs for the rest of the reason as a team, as I believe we have an excellent chance of winning the league.

On a personal note I had a quiet game when it came to saves, having no chance with the 2 goals and only making 2 saves of note. I was pleased with my footwork which was crucial on a poor pitch and being employed as a sweeper keeper.

Next game is against a very strong team on Wednesday who have also made a great start to the season. Hopefully we can continue our 100% start to the campaign, stay tuned for the next update! Any questions or comments will be gratefully received!

3-1 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1

The next instalment sees us keep our 100% start. Played 4 won 4. Although we had to come from behind again to win (3 out of 4 games we have had to do this!)

We played against a previously unbeaten side who are notorious for bending the rules and well being a little rough!

The first half an hour was a bit of a stalemate, both teams finding it hard to retain possession in fairly bad conditions.

The first real chance of the game went to the visitors as their winger found some space on the left hand side and attempted to square it to their unmarked striker in the centre. Thankfully I was able to meet the ball at the point of contact and smother the ball out for a corner.

Soon after their striker broke free from the right-hand side and struck a shot towards the far post but close enough for me to tip the ball wide.

On the stroke of half-time we attempted to play their striker off-side only for him to beat the trap and find himself one on one. I managed to save the effort as he shot relatively close to my body, unfortunately our defence had failed to wake up and their midfielder followed the ball up and shot into an empty net. 1-0.

Half-time came and went and we looked a lot better after the break. About 5 minutes in we managed to score directly from a corner after they had failed to clear their lines. 1-1 GAME ON!

A long range effort made it 2-1 and when we brought our fresh substitutes on we made it 3-1 with a tap in inside the 6 yard box.

In the second half I collected a few high balls under the pressure of their forwards and made another one on one save from an acute angle after our left back had given the ball away.

I was pleased with my performance, becoming a lot more assertive with my back 4, and organising them a lot better. I used to be fairly quiet with this as I had not had much experience doing it. My kicking however wasn't great, the wind wasn't helping but I could hardly use that as an excuse. When I take my time and concentrate on kicking through the ball I kick well, but when I rush I mess up. Will be looking to improve this aspect of my game as time goes on, hopefully spending a lot of time in training (when it starts).

Next game is on Saturday and we are playing the only other unbeaten team in the league. They have played two and drawn two, but have played two of the top 4 teams in the league so far. It will be a stiff challenge but we are hopefully of making it 5 out of 5 as we have the home advantage. I believe we wil go unbeaten at home this year! (You heard it here first!)

Good Job man.

My team are also unbeaten after 2 games, 2 clean sheets :D

Good Job man.

My team are also unbeaten after 2 games, 2 clean sheets :D

Thanks mate. I'm still searching for my first clean sheet! To be fair I've let in 4 goals in 3 games and I don't think I could have done anything about any of them, so I guess that's just the way it goes! Got a feeling it might come this weekend! ;)

I am playing in the best team in our division tbh, we are favorites to win the league. And I've hardly had anything to do haha

We have score 12 in 2 games and 2nd have score 11 and conceded 1. They are probably our closest rivals, I cant wait to play them :D haha

3-1 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1

Another home game, and another win!

Missed out last weeks result, so thought I would update you. This weeks game was cancelled due to the horrendous weather. We again won 3-1 for the second time in as many matches. Still searching for the clean sheet, but I can't complain as we notched up our fifth straight league win.

We started well but at half time the game was still a stalemate, we wasted a couple of decent opportunities and they defended well. We eventually took the lead straight after half-time. A free kick was struck under the wall as we jumped and the opposition keeper made a howler letting the ball squirm under his body. Soon after though the game was level when our winger attempted to tackle the opposition from behind and in the box. PENALTY! I went the right way but it was a decent penalty and found the corner. We pressed well for the remainder of the game, and in reality it could of been 5+ as we eventually ran out 3-1 winners.

On a personal note I was disappointed about conceding again, and my kicking was really bad. I felt very jaded after a long pre-match warm-up and hadn't had anything to eat for breakfast or lunch! A mistake I won't be making again!

Current statistics are:

P5 W5 D0 L0 F18 A6 GD12 P15

Only one other team has conceded less (5) although they have only played 4 games. Another tough challenge this Saturday as we play only our second away game of the season. It could be a struggle as they are a fighting side and play on a boggy pitch which really doesn't suit our passing game. If championships are going to be won you have to play well away, I think this is where we may come unstuck.

Still 100% record, I can relate to that :D

Looks like your dominated so far. Still shy of a few clean sheets :) I conceded my first the other week, an own goal :( very disappointing.

Our record

| P4 | W4 | D0 | L0 | F22 | A1 | GD21 | P12

Still 100% record, I can relate to that :D

Looks like your dominated so far. Still shy of a few clean sheets :) I conceded my first the other week, an own goal :( very disappointing.

Our record

| P4 | W4 | D0 | L0 | F22 | A1 | GD21 | P12

I can't really complain about the goals that I have let in really to be honest so I'm not worried! Another game at the weekend gives me another chance for a clean sheet!

We should hopefully win, but we are playing against a top 5 team on their pitch. I'm pretty sure we will win 90% of our home games!

Will update you all on Monday (if anyone bar Wilm is reading!)

Nice to hear it's going well for you and your team!

Are those new gloves of yours the Selsport Purity's? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are those gloves, can you give us your opinion on them? I've thought about buying them for quite a time now, but I've never got anyone's opinion on them! :-)