Sign in to follow this  
Mokrie Dela

Last Pre Season Friendly

So i went along to watch, with my kit JUST IN CASE, and whatyouknow our GK only played the first half. I manned the sticks in the second half.

Now where to begin. Here was a match with NO warm up whatsoever. Partway through the first half i'm told to kit up.

Ignoring my still-niggling injury (halfway through a six week recovery period so not match fit - i was not gonna pass up the oppurtunity though) I went for it.

First shot? A foot or two to my right. Easy collapsing save right?

Wrong? I fell short. That was, it seems an omen. Today was not going to be my day.

Shots came at me, at an average rate. Seond goal: my defender inadvertantly took me out (i should have been more vocal letting him know where i was) and the ball bounced back. Striker cusioned a weak header but i did not react quick enough. Even though I was on my arse, i could have got it. Easy. Fail

A head at the near post hit the woodwork and, by the time i'd moved toward it, it had gone in.

1 or 2 longer rangers, a couple goals were defences fault, the rest mine.

So what was wrong? Poor mentality? Nah i was up for it.

Inexperiance? Probably

Injury? Not enough to be an excuse.

Here's me saying i want the number one shirt next season and, when my chance comes up, i blew it.

Last ten mins though, after that last goal, i was getting pissed off. A corner came in and (im TERRIBLE at collecting) I move out, but not enough. I dive to my right, toward the D and get a hand to it, sending it flying out of the area.

Then i have to tip one over the bar.

So what went wrong for me? I know what to do. I know how to move but it's like when you're singing or someting in front of people and you just choke.

I'm putting this down to inexperiance in full size goals - we train in 9-a-side goals.

Anyway, the match finished, we lost, and I'm partly to blame. My chance to step up and instead i trip myself up.

Now being the kinda person i am, i take it all to heart. It's gotten me down, because, as great as i can be at training, it's made me feel rubbish. I know we all have our bad days, the best of us will lose games 10 - 0, but this has really dented my goalkeeping soul. I'm pessimistic by nature, and i find myself asking if there's any point in keep playing.

Course there is - I love playing in goal - problem is, i'm lost at sea in the full size goals.

HAs anyone got tips on how to get around that? This poor performance, along with a not very good debut last season has hurt my confidence. How can i say to our manager "i want the number 1 shirt" now? MY chance to get it, and i blew it.

PS I can't remember the score. I deliberately don't keep track. IF i do, i tally it in my head, "That's 3 you've let in now". Instead every kick off it's 0-0. The goal never happened. Move on. We lost, and it was a bad loss. Although our first keeper let in a few, i think i let in more.

Ah, I know what you feel like. I've had way too many games that have ended as miserably as that. Not got an awful lot of experience, but I'd recommend that if this is a blip, just keep playing, training, doing what you usually do. Either your form will come back, or you'll be able to pinpoint what about your game is off and focus on that in practice sessions. You can't just throw everything out the window on the back of one performance. (I have no idea if this advice will actually be any use, but I try to help)

And yeah, playing in full-sized goals might be a better idea.

Looking forward to reading any further updates.

I feel your pain!!

We train in tiny 5 a side goals...or Hockey goals on an astroturf at the moment!!

so this weekend when we played in 11 a side goals it was like.....wow..im tiny... I think its just getting used to playing in full size goals that is the only answer!

Until you get the opportunity to train in full sized goals..they cant expect you to be performing to your best!

Im guessing the strikers are doing better as they can score in smaller goals and big goals are a field day??

I feel your pain!!

We train in tiny 5 a side goals...or Hockey goals on an astroturf at the moment!!

so this weekend when we played in 11 a side goals it was like.....wow..im tiny... I think its just getting used to playing in full size goals that is the only answer!

Until you get the opportunity to train in full sized goals..they cant expect you to be performing to your best!

Im guessing the strikers are doing better as they can score in smaller goals and big goals are a field day??

TBH Most shots go wide of the smaller goals - bottom corner perhaps in fullsizers. But you're right. I think us keepers are taken for granted and just expected to be great, but when things go wrong we're the first to be blamed.

It is a problem. I need ALOT of practice in full size goals, I can admit that. I know that i can get there, but how can i without plenty of practice. ATM I'm tying to go for ANY shot, even it it's miles wide or over. I don't care if people say "Why did you dive for that, it was well wide" because that's the best i can do.

Don't let a bad performance get to ya. We all have bad matches. Keepers are judged on how they move on from their mistakes aswell as perfomances in a match