Sign in to follow this  
goalkeeeeeper

how to step up to number 1

Last season I was 2nd goalkeeper to our other goalkeeper but many people said I was clearly better than he was. I was just wondering what I could do this year to be picked first over him. (by the way i've improved substantially from last year to this year, so I don't think he can outplay me)(also he didn't play the entire game, we split time, but he started)

are there any certain things coaches want to see?? Like should I be more commanding during practice?? should I talk more with my players? What is it that I need to do, also the other goalkeeper is one of the coaches favorites players ( as am I, but he just likes him a bit more)

I was in a similar situation when I transfered high-schools. The keeper that was there was good but I was better. The problem was I was the new guy and the coach favored the current keeper. I just trained hard, first to show up, last to leave. Put it extra training and when I go the opportunity in a match, showed that I could control the game. I never had to talk more, because I don't shut up in the first place.

Just work hard and your coach will recognize who is the better keeper. One thing about most coaches, even if the hate a player they will play him if he is good for the team because they just want to win.

Good luck

I was in a similar situation when I transfered high-schools. The keeper that was there was good but I was better. The problem was I was the new guy and the coach favored the current keeper. I just trained hard, first to show up, last to leave. Put it extra training and when I go the opportunity in a match, showed that I could control the game. I never had to talk more, because I don't shut up in the first place.

Just work hard and your coach will recognize who is the better keeper. One thing about most coaches, even if the hate a player they will play him if he is good for the team because they just want to win.

Good luck

Wow man, this is really good to hear, thanks for sharing your story, and i'll make sure I start to put in extra training, and control the games when I get the opportunity.

Also I will begin showing up early and leaving late, thanks a lot man this is what I wanted to hear.

Cheers.

The problem was I was the new guy and the coach favored the current keeper

That's the problem i have. Our team has 3 GKs.

Matt, who's been in the team for 5 years or so, who's an ok, keeper, nicknamed "blunders" for the obvious reason.

Rob, who's annoyingly good, the best GK we have.

And me, in between.

I'm the only one turning up to training - even while injured - and putting that effort it, yet Matt's the "favoured" keeper. Rob never turns up, but im told he is about to return - thus pushing me to the third choice, despite the fact i should be first. The manager favours Matt, and there's not much i can do rly.

Only effort is to try hard, play hard and command. And hope.

I feel I am currently in this situation too, been keeping for 14 years, my 1st season for signing for a 11-a-side sunday league team and the no.1 keeper is always at training and so am I, he plays well but sometimes I feel I play alot better, but I feel a little pushed out as the manager told me that the no. 1 keeper hasn't played for the past 9 years <_<

in the past 2 weeks our no. 1 keeper has let past him (in league matches) 13 goals, my sunday afternoon matches I have only let past 6, I know its 2 different style games, but my kick around matches with the lads on sunday seem to be alot harder than a league match, more work on the keepers I feel.

Just keep training hard and when your time comes, just give it your all to impress bud, its what I am waiting to do :rolleyes:

I cant comment on this dilemma as I have been 1st choice keeper for pretty much all my football playing career. I had to earn my #1 Shirt when I was younger. Now I am #1 for my Senior team and have little competition, but I still have to give it my all .

Good luck to all you, and thanks for the words of advice, i'm just going to try to work harder than he does and hopefully the coach will realize very soon who the right match is. Thanks!

Good to hear you feel the advices have helped you! Please let us know how things turn out!

when i started i was number 2 but midway through my 2nd season the number 1 injured himself (broke his hand) and i stepped up and showed what i could do and was number 1 from then on, the other keeper came back but couldnt hack sitting on the bench so left bout 3 months after coming back from injury

When I started playing for the team I currently play for I was the 3/4 choice now I'm number 1 with some competition from number two I went to a match (I played in defence or goal) and they told me I wasin goal because the other gk couldn't come basically give your all let them now that your fighting for the number 1 shirt that's about all hope this advice helps you

Never let them see it bothers you that you are not #1. Just keep working hard in practice and staying mentally sharp with visualizing success on the pitch. When you get your chance take it and don't look back because you will get a chance.