Giovanni Ciriani

Training with a machine

I think I originally posted this in the wrong Goalkeeping Topic.

I've seen few of these and i've gotta say, these are pretty cool and it's okay to use them but I would rather just have someone kick them, and that is for two reasons

(weak reason) Reason 1: They are probably really expensive.

(strong reason) Reason 2:You always know in what general direction the ball is going in, like you can see the machine being turned to the right so you know that's where it's going.

Also if you practice with someone kicking balls to you it's more realistic because you have no idea which direction the ball is going in(unless you read the player)

So in my opinion i'd say just stick to having someone kick them to you instead of using a machine.

(strong reason) Reason 2:You always know in what general direction the ball is going in, like you can see the machine being turned to the right so you know that's where it's going.

Your reason number 2 would not explain why major league teams use them. For instance in this video, the goalkeeper coach says the following (sequences from second 20 to 55):

"In particular I’ve been utilizing it (the machine) for one year, for past year’s championship in which I had the possibility to utilize it. The machine is a noteworthy support to the specific preparation of the goalkeeper …

As in this period we have evaluated that it allows to execute certain types of work that if done only with a human coach or kicking it would become less qualitative and more difficult to execute".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgN-5oli4wU

Your reason number 2 would not explain why major league teams use them. For instance in this video, the goalkeeper coach says the following (sequences from second 20 to 55):

"In particular I’ve been utilizing it (the machine) for one year, for past year’s championship in which I had the possibility to utilize it. The machine is a noteworthy support to the specific preparation of the goalkeeper …

As in this period we have evaluated that it allows to execute certain types of work that if done only with a human coach or kicking it would become less qualitative and more difficult to execute".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgN-5oli4wU

I agree with some of its uses but DEFINITELY NOT with the shooting use. I feel like it is really good for crosses, and if this was such a good way of training then why don't the best goalkeepers in the world use them??

You show some no named teams and you expect people to think that this is an effective way of training, it's good for crosses, ill give you that but I guarantee that the shooting portion of it doesn't substitute for an actual person shooting.

Why don't the best goalkeepers in the world use them?

I think that while there have been machines around for a few years, the new generation that can shoot shots on par with major league professional players came out about one year ago. The diffusion of these machines will take a while, I suspect.

Just to work on technique wise it isnt bad but nothing beats seeing a player line up for a ball and getting set and reacting after the ball is kicked.

I play cricket and i hate using the machine for that as well because you need to see the bowler running up and getting ready to bowl so you can set properly.

Just to work on technique wise it isnt bad but nothing beats seeing a player line up for a ball and getting set and reacting after the ball is kicked.

I tend to agree with you. Obviously the machine is not a substitute for traditional training. However, it is a good complement to it: it can be used to the advantage of the teams that can afford it.

Edited by Giovanni Ciriani

Well thats the thing, if they can afford it why not! But if they're gonna struggle to pay for it then i dont think its necessary