Hi guys,

I have a one question for you.

I am so in love with goalkeeping. I can't live without training. I have trainings in club 4 times a week. But I want more, more, more!! Sometimes I go to the football stadium (when I have no training)and doing training for goalkeepers. But I want some training at home, in my yard, some training that I can do alone.... I hope you understand me.. :) thanks

Mijat

I think kicking/throwing a ball of a wall could help handling. Would be interested to see any other peoples opinions as I'm not sure you can really get a good training session by yourself.

I think it's incredibly difficult to carry out any sort of handling exercises without someway of having a ball served to you. But if you're keen then do some conditioning exercises aimed towards keepers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/74fersolis#p/c/AB1DE8E7C55FA461/0/3tPrEoz9518

Not bad and it doesnt need any fancy equipment.

If you're training that regularly you should be doing some conditioning in the off days imo. There's plenty of topics on here relating to what to do at a gym, but the video that's been posted is a good one - plyometrics are good as they increase power and stamina.

It's also important to have down days - days where you're NOT training or anything. Your body needs a day off and sometimes even a week off. Don't push yourself too hard.

As far as excersising, there's a lot you can do - gym/weights for muscle and strength, plyometrics for explosive power, balancing excercisies, shuttles (running in and out of cones) that sort of thing.

But yeah that video imo is good advice - you can buy those things in JJB or somewhere fairly cheap i think or even improvise

Talking of improvising, throwing a ball against the wall is ok. Helps handling but only a little. You need someone to serve the ball to you. But I don't have that. My team isn't big enough to train more then once a week, so I have to do the wall thing. I've recently started throwing the ball behind my back (you know the trick throw we all do?) against the wall, then react to it - can often bounce anywhere.

Also a good one is to throw the ball against a wall with your eyes shut. When you HEAR the ball hit the walll, open you eyes. Catch it.

Also maybe look into getting one of these: http://www.responseball.com/ they supposedly bounce all over the place and i imagine you'll be working hard to get that.

But there's alot yo can do with the wall. Stand and catch, do the reaction with your eyes shut thing i mentioned, lie back and thow the ball against the wall (as if doing a sit up), do the same sideways (so you're lifting to your side). As i said, improvise.

I'd be happy to share my gym routing with you (it's not all relying on machines or weights) if you want more info. just holler :)

I think it's incredibly difficult to carry out any sort of handling exercises without someway of having a ball served to you. But if you're keen then do some conditioning exercises aimed towards keepers.

thanks for that :)

If you're training that regularly you should be doing some conditioning in the off days imo. There's plenty of topics on here relating to what to do at a gym, but the video that's been posted is a good one - plyometrics are good as they increase power and stamina.

It's also important to have down days - days where you're NOT training or anything. Your body needs a day off and sometimes even a week off. Don't push yourself too hard.

As far as excersising, there's a lot you can do - gym/weights for muscle and strength, plyometrics for explosive power, balancing excercisies, shuttles (running in and out of cones) that sort of thing.

But yeah that video imo is good advice - you can buy those things in JJB or somewhere fairly cheap i think or even improvise

Talking of improvising, throwing a ball against the wall is ok. Helps handling but only a little. You need someone to serve the ball to you. But I don't have that. My team isn't big enough to train more then once a week, so I have to do the wall thing. I've recently started throwing the ball behind my back (you know the trick throw we all do?) against the wall, then react to it - can often bounce anywhere.

Also a good one is to throw the ball against a wall with your eyes shut. When you HEAR the ball hit the walll, open you eyes. Catch it.

Also maybe look into getting one of these: http://www.responseball.com/ they supposedly bounce all over the place and i imagine you'll be working hard to get that.

But there's alot yo can do with the wall. Stand and catch, do the reaction with your eyes shut thing i mentioned, lie back and thow the ball against the wall (as if doing a sit up), do the same sideways (so you're lifting to your side). As i said, improvise.

I'd be happy to share my gym routing with you (it's not all relying on machines or weights) if you want more info. just holler :)

thank you mate for these advices. That think with shuting eyes is great, it is good for reflex, catching etc. And yes I wold like to hear your gim advices, I also go to the gim so I would like to hear your training and advices for that :)

thank you mate for these advices. That think with shuting eyes is great, it is good for reflex, catching etc. And yes I wold like to hear your gim advices, I also go to the gim so I would like to hear your training and advices for that :)

Right well here we go.

• Start with a run, ten mins or so, or whatever works for you. Do it with some incline too. - Not much more then ten mins. Enough to break a sweat and help your stamina but not enough to burn too much off
  • Then stretch. Always important, get your body limber.
  • seated chest press and pull down - 3 sets 12 on each, whatever weight you're confortable with, but you want to be using considerable effort.
  • Squats (with weights)
  • "the bar" - not sure what this is actually called. - get a bar, with weights on one end. put the other end against something, lift the weighted end, fast and hard.
  • Shrugs
  • wrist curls
  • Alternate:
    • inverted situps (lie on a bench, hold the end by your head, lift legs up)
    • Jumping up onto a bench
    • dumbell pull ups (hold two dumbells in a position as if you're about to do pressups, lifr each arm up to your hips, then the otherone
    • one leg lift up - put one foot on the bench, the other on the floor, then push yourself up with the raised foot.
    • Bicep Curls
    • snaps - crouch with a bar by your feet, then lift that up fast, raising to your tiptoes, and when the bar reaches your shoulder you snap your hands so they're now under it.

[*]Alternate Pec and Delt fly

[*]Leg extensions (a machine you sit in, leaning back and lift the weights with legs)

[*]Hip abductors

[*]Medicene ball thrusts

[*]twisted situps

[*]chin ups and dips

[*]balancing work

[*]Lunges (while moving across room)

[*]'quick get up'

[*]Squat jumps (while moving across room)

[*]Knee hops (kneel, then jump to feet)

[*]Jumping lunges

[*]shuttles

[*]ball/handling work

[*]Finish with a row: 500M in 2 mins x3

This was tailored for my needs by a PT so you can adjust it to suit yourself. Know your limits etc of course.

Also have a word with the staff at your gym, they can help you get the correct technique for these, as that's important. I highly recommend that - wrong technique can cause injury. I also believe in doing each excercise with slow and controlled reps, as well as fast, explosive ones.

Several things in the list COULD be excluded, or set aside for a second day.

I'll be happy to explain any more if anything's not clear, and if needed may try to take a video of the excersie if that's needed too.

Advice:

1 - Know your limits. Don't use too much weight.

2 - Start small. The first time you do an excersize, make sure you do it with low weights. Get the techniqee right then move up to heavier weights. Every session i try to start with a moderate weight (8 KG for example) and with every set increase the weights.

3 - Don't be too obsessed by lifting allot of weights, or doing 100 reps. 20 reps, done with correct technique and speed will be more benificial then 100 rushed ones. Just try a simple bicep curl - do ten fast. Easy, right? Now do them slow, and focus of steady movements. Feel that?

4 - eat right. Before gym I eat a small bowl of cereal (shreddies, wheetabix, shredded wheat etc. Avoid sugary cereals), a banana and sometimes a small chocolate bar or something. Having a heavy meal before gym is a no no. So save that tastey steak for another time. Also diet helps - avoid poor foods and that completely, but hey, steak's awesome :D

5 - Limit your gym sessions. After a gym session, you need a day or two to recover. Do a huge workout and you feel it the next day. Strenuous excersise, on already stressed muscles, will damage you.

6 - Plan your workouts. Don't do a heavy workout the day before training/match. By all means still go gym, but use half the weights.

7 - Explosive power is the key. Out and out strength is fine, but what we need is that quick explosive power. That's why i do reps slow AND fast. Plyometrics are good for this - "High Intensity Interval Training" - excert alot of effort for allot of power and rest.

9 - REST. Obvious but take breathers in between sets. Dont try to blitz it all in one go (sometimes we can but you'll know when u need a rest). When doing HIIT/Plyometrics, rest is important. I believe you have to rest for one and a half times your excersize, so if you do jumps (like in that video), for one minute, you rest for two. I personally try to rest as little as possible - but i don't recomend that as i've no idea if it's good or bad. I do it simply to FORCE my body to regain some of the stamina i've lost over years.

10 - BALANCE - Make sure you balance all excersizes. If you do 3 sets of ten reps of 12KG on your chest - make sure you do THE SAME on your back.

Whatever you lift with your biceps, you should move with your triceps. MAke sure all muscles get an equal work ot.

Finally, remember TECHNIQUE ABOVE EVERYTHING. It doesn't matter WHAT weight you lift, make sure you get proper technique. Personal Trainers and gym staff will help with this.

I hope this all helps. f yo want any more help just holler again :D

Right well here we go.

• Start with a run, ten mins or so, or whatever works for you. Do it with some incline too. - Not much more then ten mins. Enough to break a sweat and help your stamina but not enough to burn too much off
  • Then stretch. Always important, get your body limber.
  • seated chest press and pull down - 3 sets 12 on each, whatever weight you're confortable with, but you want to be using considerable effort.
  • Squats (with weights)
  • "the bar" - not sure what this is actually called. - get a bar, with weights on one end. put the other end against something, lift the weighted end, fast and hard.
  • Shrugs
  • wrist curls
  • Alternate:
    • inverted situps (lie on a bench, hold the end by your head, lift legs up)
    • Jumping up onto a bench
    • dumbell pull ups (hold two dumbells in a position as if you're about to do pressups, lifr each arm up to your hips, then the otherone
    • one leg lift up - put one foot on the bench, the other on the floor, then push yourself up with the raised foot.
    • Bicep Curls
    • snaps - crouch with a bar by your feet, then lift that up fast, raising to your tiptoes, and when the bar reaches your shoulder you snap your hands so they're now under it.

[*]Alternate Pec and Delt fly

[*]Leg extensions (a machine you sit in, leaning back and lift the weights with legs)

[*]Hip abductors

[*]Medicene ball thrusts

[*]twisted situps

[*]chin ups and dips

[*]balancing work

[*]Lunges (while moving across room)

[*]'quick get up'

[*]Squat jumps (while moving across room)

[*]Knee hops (kneel, then jump to feet)

[*]Jumping lunges

[*]shuttles

[*]ball/handling work

[*]Finish with a row: 500M in 2 mins x3

This was tailored for my needs by a PT so you can adjust it to suit yourself. Know your limits etc of course.

Also have a word with the staff at your gym, they can help you get the correct technique for these, as that's important. I highly recommend that - wrong technique can cause injury. I also believe in doing each excercise with slow and controlled reps, as well as fast, explosive ones.

Several things in the list COULD be excluded, or set aside for a second day.

I'll be happy to explain any more if anything's not clear, and if needed may try to take a video of the excersie if that's needed too.

Advice:

1 - Know your limits. Don't use too much weight.

2 - Start small. The first time you do an excersize, make sure you do it with low weights. Get the techniqee right then move up to heavier weights. Every session i try to start with a moderate weight (8 KG for example) and with every set increase the weights.

3 - Don't be too obsessed by lifting allot of weights, or doing 100 reps. 20 reps, done with correct technique and speed will be more benificial then 100 rushed ones. Just try a simple bicep curl - do ten fast. Easy, right? Now do them slow, and focus of steady movements. Feel that?

4 - eat right. Before gym I eat a small bowl of cereal (shreddies, wheetabix, shredded wheat etc. Avoid sugary cereals), a banana and sometimes a small chocolate bar or something. Having a heavy meal before gym is a no no. So save that tastey steak for another time. Also diet helps - avoid poor foods and that completely, but hey, steak's awesome :D

5 - Limit your gym sessions. After a gym session, you need a day or two to recover. Do a huge workout and you feel it the next day. Strenuous excersise, on already stressed muscles, will damage you.

6 - Plan your workouts. Don't do a heavy workout the day before training/match. By all means still go gym, but use half the weights.

7 - Explosive power is the key. Out and out strength is fine, but what we need is that quick explosive power. That's why i do reps slow AND fast. Plyometrics are good for this - "High Intensity Interval Training" - excert alot of effort for allot of power and rest.

9 - REST. Obvious but take breathers in between sets. Dont try to blitz it all in one go (sometimes we can but you'll know when u need a rest). When doing HIIT/Plyometrics, rest is important. I believe you have to rest for one and a half times your excersize, so if you do jumps (like in that video), for one minute, you rest for two. I personally try to rest as little as possible - but i don't recomend that as i've no idea if it's good or bad. I do it simply to FORCE my body to regain some of the stamina i've lost over years.

10 - BALANCE - Make sure you balance all excersizes. If you do 3 sets of ten reps of 12KG on your chest - make sure you do THE SAME on your back.

Whatever you lift with your biceps, you should move with your triceps. MAke sure all muscles get an equal work ot.

Finally, remember TECHNIQUE ABOVE EVERYTHING. It doesn't matter WHAT weight you lift, make sure you get proper technique. Personal Trainers and gym staff will help with this.

I hope this all helps. f yo want any more help just holler again :D

WOW, thanks for that , are you a professional, I mean, this is great fitness training... But can you explane me how to do exercise: shuttles, Alternate Pec and Delt fly and twisted situps... thank you very much :D

WOW, thanks for that , are you a professional, I mean, this is great fitness training... But can you explane me how to do exercise: shuttles, Alternate Pec and Delt fly and twisted situps... thank you very much :D

If it's the shuttles I'm thinking of it's when you set up 4 or 5 different cones at a distance you sprint to the 1st one then run back to the start then sprint to the second one then back to the start and so on. Twisted sit ups are when your performing a sit up you turn your upper body to the side.

If it's the shuttles I'm thinking of it's when you set up 4 or 5 different cones at a distance you sprint to the 1st one then run back to the start then sprint to the second one then back to the start and so on. Twisted sit ups are when your performing a sit up you turn your upper body to the side.

Yeah they're good - its those muscles that keep your stomach flat too.

Shuttles - u may be right, though i was thinking of the same but running in and out. Either are good.

wow! I was well impressed with that video posted.

I generally work away from home so training with a team during the week is difficult.

It would be possible to do some of these exercises tho.

I usually find a secluded area of a park, set out some cones and do various footwork and jumping exercises.

Lots of stuff you can do on your own at home. Lots of great ideas mentioned above. For about 50 bucks you can get a rebounder (and little easier on the balls than a hard wall). Another thing you can also work on is mental preparation as well. Do a little imagery/visualization, some self talk, etc. Agility ladder stuff can easily be done from home as well (just layout socks or soccer balls or whatever with the same distance as a ladder would be laid out). If possible set up a video camera and record your solo training so you or your coach can review it to make sure you're using proper technique.

Lots of stuff you can do on your own at home. Lots of great ideas mentioned above. For about 50 bucks you can get a rebounder (and little easier on the balls than a hard wall). Another thing you can also work on is mental preparation as well. Do a little imagery/visualization, some self talk, etc. Agility ladder stuff can easily be done from home as well (just layout socks or soccer balls or whatever with the same distance as a ladder would be laid out). If possible set up a video camera and record your solo training so you or your coach can review it to make sure you're using proper technique.

I want a rebounder but havn't seen one cheap enough :(

I have a sort of dry stone wall in my garden where the stones jut out at random angles, so when I throw a ball against it it can fly off anywhere! I'll go out and do this a few times a week after doing some footwork exercises, it's good practice and great fun.

I have a sort of dry stone wall in my garden where the stones jut out at random angles, so when I throw a ball against it it can fly off anywhere! I'll go out and do this a few times a week after doing some footwork exercises, it's good practice and great fun.

You lucky bastard!

ATM my ball is fucked - the stitching's undone in one area and the inner ball has popped out slightly, so the ball is now massively deformed in that one point. It's like a golf ball is taped on it. I have, in effect, accidently created a responceball! When i throw the ball on a wall, and this bit its the wall or ground, it bounces a bit unpredictablly. Not to the extreme i imagine you're getting but enough so that i can't garrauntee where the ball's gonig.

You lucky bastard!

ATM my ball is fucked - the stitching's undone in one area and the inner ball has popped out slightly, so the ball is now massively deformed in that one point. It's like a golf ball is taped on it. I have, in effect, accidently created a responceball! When i throw the ball on a wall, and this bit its the wall or ground, it bounces a bit unpredictablly. Not to the extreme i imagine you're getting but enough so that i can't garrauntee where the ball's gonig.

It's great! Wrecks your balls like but it's worth it. And that's a pretty good idea, I might try that.

It's great! Wrecks your balls like but it's worth it. And that's a pretty good idea, I might try that.

I wouldn't wreck your ball deliberately. It was poor stiching for me, and the ball's now been thrown away - it's unplayable and tbh not good for your handling. The damn thing was pearshaped today. Literally!

if you have a small yard outside your home you can put 2 balls one left and one right, you dive on the right one then you switch to the 2nd. it's good for agility

for the gym, if your training while your season is on, the best training you can do is 3x15 series of every muscle : 1x(3x15) Biceps 1x(3x15)Triceps, 1x(3x15)back, 1x(3x15)..... and between each set 25abs

and don't forget push ups, medecine ball ect...

i must say i did this work out today and is the best work out ive ever done tbh , its not hard whats so ever tbh but when u do , do this work out you can feel it and its good for a fitness test , top notch link im deffo keeping this in my work out at home lol :D

if you have a small yard outside your home you can put 2 balls one left and one right, you dive on the right one then you switch to the 2nd. it's good for agility

for the gym, if your training while your season is on, the best training you can do is 3x15 series of every muscle : 1x(3x15) Biceps 1x(3x15)Triceps, 1x(3x15)back, 1x(3x15)..... and between each set 25abs

and don't forget push ups, medecine ball ect...

thanks, but I have no promlems with gym, I'm in the gym since January, but thanks again... :)