Booboo88

Areas to cover taking crosses

Hi guys, I've been having a bit of a disagreement with my manager (who is a striker lol) about what areas he thinks I should cover when a cross comes in, rightfully anything crossed in within the 6 yard box I should be making mine, but he's been complaining that I haven't been out claiming crosses towards the edge of the 18 yard box, I'm talking more of whipped in crosses from the wings, not really punts from the other teams half as I'm happy to claim them anywhere in the box, but I'm just wondering how far from the 6 yard box would you guys say you would comfortably come out to claim a cross? Cheers

Thanks for your reply mate, that's what I have been trying to put across to my manager, but he's just not having it, he just doesn't understand when a winger fizzes a cross in you don't have time to travel out to the penalty spot to claim the cross

Thanks for your reply mate, that's what I have been trying to put across to my manager, but he's just not having it, he just doesn't understand when a winger fizzes a cross in you don't have time to travel out to the penalty spot to claim the cross

These outfielders know nothing eh?! Just try stick to your own game, I would try and get the point across to him that you feel going any further than that is dangerous If I were you. There isn't much more annoying than people criticising the way you play even though you've done everything right :)

Yeah tell me about it, my manager used to play at quite a high standard do I can appreciate he's been there and done it, and I'm always willing to listen to people's thoughts/opinions but he's not a keeper lol, I'm pretty confident when it comes to taking crosses as I'm 6ft2 which is an advantage , but with all the hassling he's given me I keep thinking twice rather than going on instinct if that makes sense? But your right I just need to stick to my own game and go from there

I think a lot of the time it depends on where the attacker / winger is crossing from, obviously once they are alongside the 18 yard box you're going to be back around the goal / 6 yard area, and if he is then expecting you to whip things out of the air that are fired across just inside the box he is absolutely insane.

Maybe discuss exactly what it is he is talking about in a bit more detail, and if you still think what he is asking of you isn't possible simply tell him you don't think its possible to do so consistently (without cheating and leaving the goal/near post unguarded) and ask him to demonstrate.

Then if he can do it consistently and defend the shot, maybe you should listen!

When he can't hopefully he'll accept your opinion a bit more!

Thanks Daz for your response, I think I'll do that try and get him to demonstrate a bit for me, then hopefully he will understand my opinion a little bit more cheers