Number1

Do You REALLY enjoy Goalkeeping.......I mean REALLY, REALLY enjoy?

That was a real interesting read about Valdes and enke. I do like goalkeeping, there's something about being the only person doing a certain job in a team feels good, as there's 2 strikers 4 midfielders etc, but only 1 keeper, but it can be the loneliest place in the team at times

I love to hate it and hate to love it. It's like a rollercoaster so many ups and downs, you can only really enjoy goalkeeping if you learn to love the ups and not let the downs bother you. I'd say it's the only position where mental toughness is vital.

i believe its really joyful GOALKEEPING ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR AT YOUR PEEK OR AT ONE OF THE PEEKS OF UR CAREER BUT WHEN THINGS DONBT GO TO PLAN FOR THE TEAM AND FOR YOUR TEAM MATES YOU SEEM TO FEEL ITS YOUR FAULT AND ALWAYS BECOME SAD AND FEEL REALLY LONLEY AND UNWANTED

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, when I'm out there on the pitch I don't like it, I'm worried about making a mistake but I try not to. I really miss it when I'm away from it, but I don't really enjoy matches when that pressure is on.

Really interesting I've also seen a video about Valdez troubles growing up at barca

But I must say I really enjoy goalies wring I aspire to do my best be the best

Whenever I know I shouldnt have done something or I shouldn't have conceded that shot I think how could I have done better how can I improve just saying that's the way I thinkon the pitch

I hate the waiting for my first touch. Will it be a fumble, will i take it cleanly. Im constantly talking too myself saying how good i am and trying to think about anything else. After my first catch i then tend to enjoy it. Aslong as im not getting hammered

I hate the waiting for my first touch. Will it be a fumble, will i take it cleanly. Im constantly talking too myself saying how good i am and trying to think about anything else. After my first catch i then tend to enjoy it. Aslong as im not getting hammered

Twice in the past 2 month my first touch has been picking the ball out of the net or getting a finger to it as it sails past me after the defence has let their striker in for a 1on1 after about 3 minutes.

@**$%£"&*(@! :@

I'm dreaming of a wayward back pass and a sloppy kick into touch! :D

I can honestly say that at the age of 29 I am only just aquiring the mental state required to deal with the many aspects of keeping.

...however

if say after 80 mins of a match have elapsed and I feel that I have given a good peerformance or I've kept a clean sheet,

I find myself willing on the referee to hurry up and blow the full time whistle.

I get edgy as I know I'm within touching distance of a desirable perfomance and that I've survived the game with my rep intact.

...Maybe at the age of 29 I haven't quite conquered the mentality required for keeping!

• Like 1

not gonna lie .. sometimes in the field i wish earth would just swallow me .. ... sometimes i really make big time mistakes .. and i say to myself .. next time im gonna fix it .. another ball comes and another mistakes comes along .. sometimes i feel like im living a nightmare .. .

but believe me .. when my time calls me and tells me there is a match my heart almost explodes out of happiness .. i try to get myself to the state where i know im gonna rock it ...

man the ecstasy you get when everybody claps for ya .. mate its amazing :) even though i suffer. . i will never quit it !

I can honestly say that at the age of 29 I am only just aquiring the mental state required to deal with the many aspects of keeping.

...however

if say after 80 mins of a match have elapsed and I feel that I have given a good peerformance or I've kept a clean sheet,

I find myself willing on the referee to hurry up and blow the full time whistle.

I get edgy as I know I'm within touching distance of a desirable perfomance and that I've survived the game with my rep intact.

...Maybe at the age of 29 I haven't quite conquered the mentality required for keeping!

Your are right its all to do with your age. I am now 37 and am enjoying it more than ever and over the last 3 years have been playing consistently well. I had to stop playing when I was 30 for two years and I missed playing.

When your 24 or younger mentally your a lot more fragile and you make more mistakes because you are still learning how to play the position.

To everyone just keep going and remember its the hardest position to play on the pitch. Enjoy your great saves and games, but forget your mistakes and bad games straight away stop focussing on them you will only get more tense and nervous next time you play.

I'm not gonna lie here. In a game I wish that the ground will swallow me up. I just can't stand being in goal. If a player makes a mistake, it's fine and no one realizes but if the keeper makes a mistake it could cost the game. When my team loses I feel guilty like it was my fault even if it wasn't. But the  best feeling ever is getting a shutout or knowing that you saved the game.

On 11/25/2011 at 11:03 PM, Bozzie said:

...however

Think we are all like that pal

I think its all about mentality. My last match i made 2 mistakes which i wasnt best pleased.

- Gave away a penalty after a suicide backpass and took out the striker even though i knew i should have just left it but i still did it. 

- Went to catch a cross that was floated in and it just slipped through my hands and went in the net. I put it down to the mud that was on the ball but still no excuse. I am still pissed off now and the match was on sunday. 

On same footing i did play the 2nd half with 1 leg as my calf was really tight and i could barely walk but i still carried on and claimed some crosses and saved some 1 on ones including another backpass and the striker running at me i dinked it over his leg took on another player and passed the ball on. I dont know what went through my head as i would never have dreamed of doing this ever. 

We lost that game 2-0. I blame myself. I always do anytime i concede/dont do something right BUT ask me if i want to play another game. Answer will be bring it on.

Mentality is a big aspect of being a keeper. Mine is anger which i dont expect is the right way but its my way. Fitness is also helpful. I have found since i have started doing cardio my game has improved and i have only been doing it for a couple of weeks.

Sorry for long post but just thought i would add my 2penneth.

Zaff

I'd pretty much agree with what has already been said. It's a highly stressful position and as Buffon said, you have to be a kind of masochist to do it!

On 12/1/2017 at 7:21 PM, Colmster said:

I'd pretty much agree with what has already been said. It's a highly stressful position and as Buffon said, you have to be a kind of masochist to do it!

Spot on

I really really really enjoy goalkeeping. Not just playing bit studying it and all the kit and gloves etc. 

I must admit now I only play 5 a side that I do find it tough though these days. The 5 a side game now seems to be all about the players smashing the ball as hard as they can rather than any finesse to it and I have to say it don't half hurt if one catches you wrong these days too.

34 minutes ago, Bucks13 said:

I really really really enjoy goalkeeping. Not just playing bit studying it and all the kit and gloves etc. 

I must admit now I only play 5 a side that I do find it tough though these days. The 5 a side game now seems to be all about the players smashing the ball as hard as they can rather than any finesse to it and I have to say it don't half hurt if one catches you wrong these days too.

Been there, even worse at this time of year when it's freezing