Sign in to follow this  
The Monk

Sun and wind

Its making the national news how bad the wind is up here! And combined with a blinding late afternoon setting sun (eye level for the first half) it destoyed our match yesterday. A very dull 1-1. I hate to have a match cancelled but yesterday was a joke. Was just wondering if anyone has a way of dealing with the sun? Please resist the urge to say sun cream. In all honesty, I find a cap never works.. and holding your hand up to block out the sun is never an option atleast when the opposition are on the attack.

Honestly? There's nothing you can do when it's at that angle where wearing a cap doesnt work. I just make it known to all my players how shit it is and if any ball happens to be up in the air i make no attempt to catch it and instead play it safe getting as much distance as i can on any punches or pushes away. It annoys people but when i explain the reason and ask them to look into the sun too they usually understand.

Yeah I do that, always get the impression outfield players are like "Yeahhh... typical goalkeepers :dodgy: ." Visibility was at an all time low yesterday, never experienced anything like it before. Judging through balls and crosses was a case of trial and error, it was a minor miracle I only conceded 1 during the first half. Second half was awesome I must say, a clearance from a back pass was the assist for our equaliser. God bless this gale force wind.

your from pretty much te same place as me so i know how bad it was for you, i was playing on a bobbly pitch in the rediculous wind and it was sunny, game ended 3-2 to us but i was suprised the scoring was that low. i remember one moment where there was a drilled cross that went past me and a lad slid to try get it in the net, as it looked like it was going in woosh goes the wind and the ball went over!

I just tend to face the most testing effects of the weather first half,

play into the wind, face the sun,uphill or whatever.

During the first half I find most teams like to play football early doors with the ball on the floor,

failing to take advantage of the negative effect wind or sun can have on a keeper.

It's usually the last ten fifteen minutes of the game that a losing team may get a bit desperate and pump high balls into your box,

This is the type of delivery which can be almost impossible to deal with dependant upon the serverity of wind or sun.

Everyone has their own methods of dealing with these conditions,this is mine

Dealing with the sun can be very difficult when it is at just the perfect angle where a hat is useless. I know it may look odd as it isn't used in soccer, but take a page from baseball or American football and try some eye black. It doesn't block the sun, but takes much of the glare out of the experience. The grease-based eye black stick or the newer press on sticker versions will both work. Some people may give you weird looks, but it will pay off when you aren't squinting and spilling ordinarily easy aerial balls.