HibeeStopper

Supporting a club outside your country

From my American perspective again, when I grew up watching and playing football, leagues in the states were non existent or at a Sunday league level at best. There were no teams to support. For quality football we watched matches from abroad. This meant that we mainly watched the big teams. I remember watching Man U, Liverpool, Ajax, Real Madrid and AC Milan. Teams in that class, big teams. We didn't have the exposure to the lower leagues. Therefore you picked a team that you saw on a regular basis.

This could be the case in many other areas of the world. People become a fan of the EPL because it is readily available and high quality football, then they pick a team to support. In all likelihood this will be a team toward the top of the table, as more of those matches are televised.

The 9 year old kid waking up early and eating a bowl of cereal in front of the TV to watch a football match half way around the world, in my eyes, is just a big a supporter of a club as the person who travels across the country to see their team lose in the pouring rain and cold.

From my American perspective again, when I grew up watching and playing football, leagues in the states were non existent or at a Sunday league level at best. There were no teams to support. For quality football we watched matches from abroad. This meant that we mainly watched the big teams. I remember watching Man U, Liverpool, Ajax, Real Madrid and AC Milan. Teams in that class, big teams. We didn't have the exposure to the lower leagues. Therefore you picked a team that you saw on a regular basis.

This could be the case in many other areas of the world. People become a fan of the EPL because it is readily available and high quality football, then they pick a team to support. In all likelihood this will be a team toward the top of the table, as more of those matches are televised.

The 9 year old kid waking up early and eating a bowl of cereal in front of the TV to watch a football match half way around the world, in my eyes, is just a big a supporter of a club as the person who travels across the country to see their team lose in the pouring rain and cold.

Whilst I can understand your logic in the top half of your post, the bit in bold is wrong imo. Every fan is important to the club, but these people who travel miles and miles, spending tonnes of money to see their team are supporters, they're the hardcore fan base and the loyalty they show is admirable. I've supported hibs ever since I can remember, I've saw us lift one cup, I don't really think I'll have a better moment in my life than singing Sunshine on Leith whilst Steven Fletcher, Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker and co. paraded around the pitch. These big clubs win a domestic competition and it means nothing to them, they might give a subtle 'yasss' or get pished that night but I can't imagine they'll remember the moment for ever. In fact big teams just disappoint, because people have vast expectations of them. When you come to expect little of your team, you really can appreciate the great moments. Had a season ticket for hibs since I was 6, watched some pretty dreadful sunday league standard football at times, and also seen some slick fluent football, bossed through snow, wind, rain to get their, went to games knowing we'll get pumped, sing all the songs start a few as well, even been on the pitch twice! So of course I'd consider myself a more loyal and better supporter than the arm chair brigade :)