fraserb

What got you into goalkeeping?

Purely and simply, not being a good enough "footballer". Technically it's there, as I can read the game & know what I'm doing during play as a GK, just fitness I think which is a major downfall to take it to the next level.

I wasn't getting into my first team at local level, (in Preston). So, donn'ed the foam catchers in a indoor 7 a side 4G pitch at the time, and took it from there. Sure they didn't score all training.

5"11 and 14st 8lb doesn't bode well.

Anyhow, currently 3 points off the league leaders (6 games left for Sundays) & playing in a Cup final in 3 weeks time (retaining our cup we won last season).

Got to be doing something right eh!! :dodgy::rolleyes:

• Like 1

Used to be a defender and had very good players getting more game time.

Put the gloves on and loved it!

• Like 1

My dads friend ran an under 11's side, I got allowed to train with them at age 7 and got flung in goal and it was soon noticed I had a bit of talent. He actually flung me into under 11's and an 11 a side team aged 8 because I was better than the older lads he had and was in nets every since. Had a brief flirtation playing CB and CM for my primary school team but after 3 games and a goal decided I wanted back into the sticks lol

Was always comfortable between the sticks. On the school ground I always volunteered to go in goal. After age 12, that was it, in the net permanently.

• Like 1

I'd say it was around the time Ireland qualified for the Euros in 1988 and watching Packie Bonner thwart the english and get man of the match. Started going in goals during football at PE in school and realised i was quite good at it. Bruce Grobbelaar and Neville Southall were other heroes around that time, also Tim Dalton of the great Derry City team which won the treble in 1988/89.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't even remember, I was too young. My dad always tells me that when he first started taking me down the park to play aged 4 or 5, I always insisted on going in goal and had no interest in shooting, so I guess it's just the way I've always been inclined!

• Like 1

I used to be a striker but I was very bad. When my team started futsal I wasn't skillful. I lacked technique and I always lost the ball. Since I was a bad striker I decided to go in goal instead. Surprising, I was actually good so I just decided to be a goalkeeper instead.

• Like 1

I used to play RM when i was younger. My dad was always a keeper and used to coach at our team. One week the keeper got sent off and gave away a penalty. I was volounteered to go in goals. Saved the pen and the rest is history.

• Like 1

Two brothers who are 6 & 7 years older than me and told me that I had to go in goal. I had to either like it or lump it and I loved it. 

My old man used to play in goal as well. I can't remember watching him too often but that must have had an effect on me sub-consciously. 

Italy 90 and the exploits of Packie Bonner and Peter Shilton inspired me to don the gloves. Only ever good enough to play amateur football but I enjoyed it overall in the winter of.my career now though. Im involved with my local side in a goalkeeper coaching capacity also.

3 hours ago, m1gilesy said:

Italy 90 and the exploits of Packie Bonner and Peter Shilton inspired me to don the gloves. Only ever good enough to play amateur football but I enjoyed it overall in the winter of.my career now though. Im involved with my local side in a goalkeeper coaching capacity also.

Didn't think Shilton's performances at Italia 90 were inspiring at all, you could tell he was far too old and passed it.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:51 PM, Colmster said:

Lol, i did think that too about Shilton.

Yeah reminds me of the old boy you see lumbering about the pitch on a Sunday that should have packed in years ago but just cant give it up(oh wait thats me lol)

Mine is slightly weird in that I always enjoyed playing outfield but then my club Crystal Palace sold Ian Wright my favourite player and then my next favourite John Salako got injured and so as a 7 year old Nigel Martyn became my favourite player and have pretty much been a goalkeeper ever since.

On 28/11/2017 at 11:51 PM, Colmster said:

Lol, i did think that too about Shilton.

Shilton could barely move by that point. It was actually a bit embarrassing to see.

1 minute ago, Bucks13 said:

Mine is slightly weird in that I always enjoyed playing outfield but then my club Crystal Palace sold Ian Wright my favourite player and then my next favourite John Salako got injured and so as a 7 year old Nigel Martyn became my favourite player and have pretty much been a goalkeeper ever since.

Great keeper to have looked up too.

1 minute ago, fraserb said:

Great keeper to have looked up too.

Loved Nigel. He was fantastic for us and always held in very high regard even when he returned with Leeds and Everton. I got to meet him after we played Leeds in an FA Cup match at Selhurst Park and shook his hand. Literally didn't want to wash my hand for weeks. Lol.

37 minutes ago, Bucks13 said:

Loved Nigel. He was fantastic for us and always held in very high regard even when he returned with Leeds and Everton. I got to meet him after we played Leeds in an FA Cup match at Selhurst Park and shook his hand. Literally didn't want to wash my hand for weeks. Lol.

Lol

14 minutes ago, fraserb said:

Lol

My goalkeeping coach when I was 14-17 said he could tell I had based my style and how I play on Nigel Martyn as I had the same tendency to dive for the ball even after it had already gone past me. :blush:

I didnt like running. Ended up in the net. I did a decent job and stayed there lol. I had trials at Sheff Utd Academy but they said i wasnt tall enough which killed me. Not being 'good' enough i could handle and work at getting better but not being tall enough just killed me so although i kept playing i wasnt all in as i usually was. 

Luckily I did get my head back into it but gained alot of weight lol.

On 12/6/2017 at 1:45 PM, Ruthlessgk said:

I didnt like running. Ended up in the net. I did a decent job and stayed there lol. I had trials at Sheff Utd Academy but they said i wasnt tall enough which killed me. Not being 'good' enough i could handle and work at getting better but not being tall enough just killed me so although i kept playing i wasnt all in as i usually was. 

Dont think theres many of us that like running mate

On 06/12/2017 at 1:45 PM, Ruthlessgk said:

Had the same issue. Commented on by loads of scouts including a Charlton scout *spit* that at 18 if I was 6 inches taller I would be playing in the Premier League already. Took that as a massive compliment but also very gutting at the same time.

Even Non league clubs wouldn't look at me because I am 5'7". :-(

Dislocated my ankle the day after that comment at my A Level PE moderation and have never quite been the same keeper since.

On 11/27/2017 at 1:37 PM, fraserb said:

Didn't think Shilton's performances at Italia 90 were inspiring at all, you could tell he was far too old and passed it.

I agree he was past his prime, and at times he should of held stuff better but back then you also had the luxury of a back pass. But I think he had a good tournament(looked his age on the West Germany free kick and made a mistake against italy)

That said, he was 40 playing in a world cup and got to the semi final. I thought Zenga was the best keeper of the tournament, and I would put Shilton second.

• Like 1