Sign in to follow this  
Bucks13

Adidas Ace Trans Fingertip vs Adidas Predator Fingertip

Hello guys and gals.

I haven't really done any proper reviews since I have been back but recently  I bought the new Adidas Predator Fingertip gloves as the Fingertip is my favourite glove model ever. I then bought the Manuel Neuer Ace Trans model and that got me thinking about the Fingertip model for those gloves and thus I have decided to do a comparison review. Obviously this won't be a quick process as I only play once a week but I wanted to compare what effectively are the same glove but with an "upgrade". I'm not going to post up all the info about the gloves. I'm sure people are capable of reading that on any website selling the gloves. But they are effectively mentioned as being the same glove, same latex and materials etc.

Soooo my initial thoughts. Well they look similar. At first glance you would thing they are just a back hand design change. But not really! For starters the sizing is very different. I think Adidas sizing on gloves has been way off the mark for about 7 years now. I still buy their gloves but even my usual size 7 is usually big for size. And this is my first and really my key point on these two gloves. For whatever reason Adidas seem to make the Fingertip oversized. The Trans model fits I would say maybe as a 7.5 rather than a 7. The new Predator model, well I don't know who made them but they fit more like an 8.5, you can see in my pictures that I have lined the gloves up to them both sitting on my hand properly and the Predator Pro is significantly larger. The backhand as a result also feels a lot baggier. I also want to add that having tried my Neuer gloves the Trans Fingertips feel loose. Even tightening the strap up as tight as I can the wrist entry and the back hand feels loose compared to the MN model. It's all just a little bit weird how the gloves differ for size in the same size. I have even tried the new Predator Pros and they fit even tighter. So the Predator Pro has got smaller / tighter than the Ace Trans Pro, yet the Predator Fingertip has got bigger than the Ace Trans Fingertip. Odd is all I can say.

Latex wise these are the same. I feel no difference in them. Tacky from the off, extremely tacky after a quick rinse under a warm tap. They both have the grey palm and white finger zones.

Backhand... I like the design of the Ace Trans better I won't lie. But I do like the rubber find on the Predator models so I guess it depends on personal preference.

Wrist entry... This is a tough one for me. I like the tightness of the Predator Fingertip wrist but... It is really small and takes some adjusting to sit right so it just wins for me out of the two models... HOWEVER!!! The Ace Trans Fingertip the wrist feels quite loose even done up... Yet the Neuer model is tight. If they had that wrist entry / setup on the Fingertip model (it looks the same but doesn't fit the same!) I would have to say all round the Ace Trans Fingertip would win hands down as the better glove. Obviously over uses I will report backon how they perform but right now I have to say I am swayed towards the older model despite the slightly looser fitting wrist.

20171229_155806.jpg

20171229_155747.jpg

I was just thinking about this whilst walking the dogs as a bit of an aside. I can't really see the point of the extended palm on the Ace Trans models as they are covered by the wrist strap. On the Ace Trans Pro you could probably cut the strap off and wear the gloves like the Puma Evospeeds (Great gloves by the way particularly the older Navy / Pink model I have), as the wrist is still quite snug on them. But on the Fingertip the wrist would just be too baggy thus completely nullifying the extended palm.

Not that I am sure anyone cares but the reason why I went for the older blue model of the Ace Trans Fingertip over the newer Red ones is because they remind me a lot of the Adidas Fingertip Aquas (two tone blue) which were released a year or two after the very first Fingertip model (Black and White).

Still to this day the Fingertip Aquas are the only glove I have ever worn for a whole season.

20171229_200924.jpg

This is still is going... Been using the Ace Trans Fingertip as the Predator model is just too big to use if I am being honest. I must say though the gloves have held up well thus far. Really impressed with them. The grip is phenomenal both on dry and damp 4G surfaces and the durability is holding up thus far. Only real blemish came the last Sunday just played where I dived full stretch to make a save and I must have landed palm first on the ground but all is good so far.

I definitely recommend the Ace Trans Fingertip if you can pick them up cheap (most are on sale now) and you like roll finger gloves. I don't find myself readjudsting the strap at all either which I tend to have to do with most gloves at some point in games.

20180201_123358.jpg

20180201_123408.jpg

If anyone else has used these or other recent Adidas gloves I have a question. I thought the point of the Zones was that the finger latex was meant to be more grippy than the palm, do you also find that the grey palm latex seems to have more grip / tackiness than the fingers?