Sean Murdoch

Unique Patent Protected Goalkeeper Glove / Sean Murodch

Hey Everyone,

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post!! It is an honor.

My name is Sean Murdoch and I am 31 years old, Scottish professional footballer playing as a goalkeeper for Dunfermline Athletic FC in the Scottish Championship.

I have designed my own range of Goalkeeper glove called Airor. My gloves are totally unique and I currently have a patent in place for the use of a double sided glove. That means you can use the glove both sides which provides durability and is price effective for the consumer.

People might ask why? Well with the costs of glove ranging in today's market and the little wear you get out of them due to AstroTurf pitches being installed, customers are simply getting no value to the high prices. AstroTurf pitches are very unforgiving to your gloves especially when the pitch is dry.

My gloves range in NEGATIVE cut and Flat Palm cut. I use predominantly CONTACT latex which is more to the premium market while maintaining price sufficiency. I have trialed my glove for many months with many other goalkeepers. We really think we have something here. I only managed to upload one picture and I do have videos and many more images so please feel free to add me on twitter; sean_murdoch_ or whatsapp 0044 7540636613.

I will be launching a crowdfunding campaign via Kickstarter. Please spread the word and ALL feedback is much appreciated. We have 3 models that we are launching and couldn't be any more excited.

Thanks

Sean

6b1018f4-462c-4b54-83bb-3f6a407a223d.jpg

I understand where your coming from, but the glove would lack shape, and therefore protection wouldn't it? And the backhand would be torn and worn just as badly as the palm before it is even used? 

I'm all for innovation, but maybe a few more tweaks need to be made before I jump on this.

Goodluck :)

Reusch tried this years ago and it didn't work, that's a company that has millions of pounds they can throw at R & D, just looking at the picture you have shown I'm afraid it's a no from me,  to be brutally honest they look terrible. I'm all for innovation and pushing the boundaries but these just look terrible, the fact that you are looking to crowd fund to get this going says you don't have the belief to put your own cash at risk.

In this day and age of the many independant glove brands mean that most folk can afford to replace them every 4 to 6 weeks anyway.

What price point are you aiming to pitch these at?

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your reply.

The two cuts I can do is Negative & Flat Palm cut. Most professional gloves have a backhand on 2mm supersoft while I have a 4mm CONTACT latex so in hindsight I have more backhand protection than most gloves on the market.

I trialed a prototype for over 3 months and the backhand doesn't get damaged one bit. It might get dirty but as for torn this is not the case unless GK's have bad technique and dive with their backhands on the ground which could potentially result in injury.

Thank you for your feedback.

Sean

Hi FraserB,

Thank you for your response.

I have only uploaded one photo from one model from one side as the forum wouldn't allow me to upload any more. If you want to add me via Skype or Whatsapp then I can send you more images / videos and you will be able to see the full extent of my innovation and can decide then if they look terrible or not but you can't say that based on one photo from one side.

I am looking to Crowdfund for people to join my journey and be a part of Airor. This is the whole point of Kickstarter the crwofunding site. I have paid many thousands on IP Audits, Patents, Packaging Design, Designs, Manufacturing which all doesn't come cheap.

Most people can't afford £80 - £200 every 4-6 weeks unless you are financially backed from your family. Gloves SHOULD last longer than 4-6 weeks. Would you expect a pair of boots to last 4-6 weeks? I have seen gloves lasting as long as 4 sessions when used on AstroTurf especially the lesser brand gloves who use poor latex. It is shocking!!

I am aiming at around the £50 - £60 mark for my gloves. I have trialed them for months. Other professional GK's have trialed them for months. I have designed certain cuts, materials that helps with the flexibility to make both sides usable.

Thanks

Sean

Hi Sean,

thanks for your reply, if you want to upload more pics you can use photobucket mate and post the link.

I can see what your trying to do but IMO it won’t work, I may be wrong

Also at your price point you are going into the territory of some of the well established brands and that at almost double the price of some of the independents which IMO you won’t get many takers at.

good luck though 

Hi Fraser,

Thank you for the reply. 

Thanks for the honest feedback. 

Yes price point is a tricky one. I am using premium latex and materials hence my costs are on the expensive side. My thoughts were to do a premium range then a lesser quality range so my gloves range is completely diverse. 

Thanks for your time Fraser. I hope to prove you wrong and hopefully you become a customer when launched. 

Thanks

Sean

Hi Sean,

As I say there are independent brands who will be using the same latex etc as you and may even be made in the same factory as yours at half the price.

its a very saturated market and knowing it as I do at your price point I really can’t see them being a big seller but as I say I may be wrong.

Have to give credit where it’s due for trying something different though mate 

Hi Fraser,

Yeah it’s a really saturated market at the moment. With being a goalkeeper all my life I have always wanted to design my own gloves. I didn’t want to follow the trend and wanted to improve the goalkeeper glove hence the reason I have developed Airor. 

I feel I have done this but really looking forward to the feedback after my crowdfunding campaign. 

Thanks again for your time. 

Sean

Thumbs up for trying something different fella but I'm not convinced these will be popular. In my experience alot of keepers like a good backhand on their gloves. All the best in your venture but 50-60 pounds is alot for an as yet unproven glove. 

Hi Dave,

Thanks got the reply. 

Yes backhand was an area where I looked at to make it as thick and sturdy as possible while maitinkng the use of the two sides. If you look at the new Nike & Adidas Gloves they are virtually identical to mines. I think the big brands are going down the route to a thin glove where you can feel the ball better.

Time will tell. Like I mentioned earlier it has been trialed and tested intensively and it holds up very well. 

Thanks again for your feedback. 

Sean

Fair play to you for a new approach. However, i like my gloves to look and function a certain way so it's a no from me, i'm afraid.

But i wish you well with your endeavours.

I have to echo the general thoughts of the thread, whilst i fully respect and appreciate the innovation and hope you do well with them they aren't to my personal taste.

Infact it took me a few days of searching to find an independent brand that i actually liked the look of, i usually tend to go for a classic look, mainly white with a bit of colour but it seems that gloves are going the same way as boots in terms of looks, bright colours and wacky designs, they certainly have a target market but not for me i'm afraid. (i eventually chose MD-Pro Aspect £25)

I've seen the new Nike and adidas gloves, it looks like we're about 3 years away from all wearing shapeless marigolds with 1mm of latex on the palm!

I have a feeling this sort of glove might have a good overseas market and could well kick off here too, remember there were people who thought the internet was just a fad and would never catch on ;)

A few questions regarding your brand in particular, how do they hold up in very wet weather? Does 8mm of latex get heavy when saturated? and also the opposite weather, would blazing sun (not that we get it often in the UK) not dry out the back hand which will be the future palm of the glove? I may have to try them in future just out of curiosity but for now i like the palms to be the palms and the backhand to be the backhand.

Cheers!

Hi The Joker,

Thank you for your feedback. 

I have designed 3 models which will be launched. I am also in the process to design a basic white as you have echoed some other Gk’s feedback. 

With regards to the overseas. You have again echoed other members feedback. I personally think this will be the case especially in some countries where AstroTurf pitches are installed everywhere. 

With regards to the wet weather. They feel the same as normal glove in the rain. We use finger elastic borders which doesn’t get heavy during wet weathers and is flexible and durable. The good thing about my glove is I can make a 4mm latex one side and a 2mm the other side while mainting the two sided usable glove. We really do have many options.

I have to be honest. I haven’t been able to test them out yet in the blazing sun so can’t answer that question. We haven’t had enough sun in Scotland to date. 

Thanks again for your feedback. Please hit me with any questions you may still have. Your feedback is immensely valuable. 

Please feel free to add me on Skype. I have many other pictures and videos on my models. 

Thanks

Sean

I think we'd all like to see some more detailed photos, to understand what your actually creating? I'm all for innovation, and although they might not be to my taste, I'd still like a look.

Hi Jacob,

Yes you’re right. I am having professional images made and a short video done next week to show the true value of my gloves. I will uppdoad to the forum once I have them. 

Thanks

Sean

i think fit will be compromised with this idea. great idea though but price point is steep unless you got some years behind you.

Hi DHGK1,

Thank you for the feedback. 

You would be surprised. Negative cut feels excellent but I am still working on the flat palm cut. 

I am loading professional images next week to hopefully show the true image of my gloves. 

Many thanks. 

Sean