Sign in to follow this  
Bucks13

Pope's Captor Pure

Hello all,

I'm very excited to get started with this product review today as I have been waiting bloody months (about 3 or 4 to be precise!) to get my hands on a pair of these since I first saw Ramazan Özcan of Bayer Leverkusen wearing an unusual pair of gloves against Borussia Dortmund. After asking about on the Goalkeeper Talk FB page (before my self exile!) the company founder and owner a very nice chap called Christoph Nowak replied and informed me they were his companies gloves, Pope's, named as such as he is considered the Pope when it comes to Goalkeeper gloves. Anyway I had seen a few different gloves and thought they looked smart especially the German flag Colourway Alex Nübel wore for the Germany U21s so I just had to try some of these.

Screenshot_20180602_210607.jpg

Anyway onto the gloves, here's a little description from the brand website:

Hashtag of the campaign - this stands for the simple, functional competence of our products:

#RationalDefense

Our POPE's Goalkeeper Gloves have been created solely from the greatest passion for the product. This impresses us with an ingenious simplicity and offers each goalkeeper a fantastic grip and feel for his job, without any described in any great words, but in the end useless bells and whistles, which makes a goalkeeper glove unnecessarily expensive.

Cut:
Special, novel and exclusive POPE's cut that perfectly combines the comfort of a regular-cut goalie glove with the perfect fit of an inner-seam model. The thumb and the outer edges of the palm are stitched normal and thus provide a casual wearing. This prevents seams from bursting due to extremely high tension due to too tight a seat and the keeper has to deal with annoying and time-consuming complaints. The negative cut of middle and ring finger as well as the inner sides of the index finger and the little finger guarantee in combination with a basically more waisted cut the necessary fit with increased grip surface - a complete novelty at the glove market.

Adhesive foam:
"4mm Magic Grip Foam" - a truly outstanding top product, which guarantees a really outstanding grip on all types of balls in all weathers and on any surface. The experience reports of our professionals, who get exactly the same foam adhesive material as our customers, speak in this case of a surprisingly long service life of this rather soft premium adhesive foam. In addition, our covering does not require a sewn-in protective foil, which does not entail an advantage for the goalkeeper and only an annoying teasing off. The grip is improved a bit more before the first wear by washing with lukewarm water and subsequent air drying without UV radiation. Many supposed foamed foams are today chemically equipped and convey a superficial adhesive feeling when unpacking. After a few washes, however, these become dull and brittle. An honest natural latex foam like ours, however, gets better with prolonged use and proper care, rather than losing its functionality.

The upper hand:
The processed on the back of the hand, embossed and robust latex material impresses with its resistance, is very lightweight and guarantees the final man additional security for effective fist defense with an attractive print appearance.

Top of the thumb:
The most appropriate protection of the thumb, which is vulnerable to injury due to its exposed position on the hand, is a top made of sturdy latex due to our many years of experience and competence; it offers a certain hold without restricting the necessary flexibility.

Glove body:
Very comfortable, breathable mesh made from highly functional, state-of-the-art textile fibers

"Simply-fixed entry":
At the wrist, our bandage made of high-quality textile with all-round, continuously adjustable Velcro closure made of printed, flexible latex for protection and security on the wrist; It provides the best fit through its return system. A constant and annoying readjustment of the hook and loop fastener is not necessary anymore!

So first impressions... The gloves come without a bag, which is fine for me as I don't tend to keep the bags anyway. You can tell they are a first attempt at a retail glove, some of the ways the materials are cut etc just seem a bit like they need a bit of work but that is something that will come over time. The left wrist strap is also a bit longer than the right weirdly, not sure why. I like the little system for tightening it though with the loop, something I have seen on Seismics before, handy to get that extra bit of leverage to tighten especially if you have small wrists.

Size wise they are quite tight. The fit is like a flat / negative hybrid. It's actually quite nice as it fits well considering the two cuts don't necessarily cross over. I probably could have done with going half a size bigger but I will proceed with the size 7.

Out of the packet the latex has a slight tackiness to it but not major, but it wasn't really dusty either. I have given them a quick rinse in lukewarm water as per the website and already they feel good to go so I am going to give them a first wear at training tomorrow and report back. Really excited about this brand and what Christoph and his team will produce in future, a decent first effort with a lot of potential.

20180818_100913.jpg
20180818_100905.jpg
Torwarthandschuhe_073.jpg
ammonium sulfate water treatment

First off I want to say I hurt my neck this morning when I was getting ready so I wasn't giving 110% today in training. However I did get a good feel for the gloves for a first use so I jist wanted to share a few points.

Grip

Obviously the main part of any glove really. Dampened them a bit before use although they were still a bit soggy from the rinse I have them yesterday. The magic grip is decent... I'd liken it to a top end Giga Grip. It grips well to most claims I made without being overly tacky like a Contact latex. A solid 8/10

Durability

Held up well to the rigours of a decent training match. No major signs or wear and tear and seems quite sturdy. Can see there being an issue with the wrist strap scraping the latex at some point though as unusually the abrasive part of the Velcro is on the strap its self and thus the part you have to pull to tighten / secure the glove. At the moment it is early days but 10/10 is a good starting point.

Back Hand

I really like the backhand. It reminds me of a smaller vversion of the OLD original Selsport Wrappas. Made a few punched clearances and got good distance on the ball, really good cushioning when punching. I like the look of this model but hope to see some more adventurous like the Nübel model in future... 7/10

Sizing

Already mentioned this. I got my usual size 7 and to be honest I could have probably gone up to a 7.5. They still fit me, but the fingers feel a bit stubby, and by the end of 2 hours wearing them the ends of my fingers were feeling a bit pinched. The thumb fits really well for a really basic flat thumb. The only issue I have is the left glove for some reason the wrist strap is really long, I might have to figure a way to cut it down and stitch it as it hangs well off of my wrist and quite frankly was well annoying, I kept catching it on my shirt too. 7/10

Overall first impression

I'm really impressed with the first outing and look forward to using the gloves more in future. We have pur first pre season friendly next Sunday so I might give them a run out then. Apart from the slightly stumpy sizing and the annoying wrist strap (just one!) I really don't have any complaints. If I didn't know any better the grip, durability and design would easily warrant the €60 price. I don't know against bigger brands and against other independents with lower price ranges how they will fare, but I'm certainly going to persevere with the gloves anyway. 32/40 (8/10)

I've given them a rinse after training with some glove wash and already I can feel the grip is getting stronger. Just slightly odd the brand themselves say not to use any detergent / wash just water.

20180819_173502.jpg

Sorry to the people at Pope's but I just dealt with the left wrist strap. Cut about an inch and a half off that was too long and stitched the end up.

Yes I know I'm not the best at stitching straight. 🤣

2 hours ago, fraserb said:

I cant make up my mind as to whether I like these or not

Personally I'd have liked to see some of the designs already issued to the pros used as these feel like they perhaps look a little too generic.

But so far they are performing well so will see how they get on.

Must say, i do love the look of some of the Pro Issue gloves they have. Looking forward to seeing what they release to the public upon launching.

I've been a bit quiet on here but worn these about 3 or 4 times now and they are absolutely superb. I have had to send back the new VG3s I got as they fit weird... So I have decided to buy another pair of these in a 7.5.

I can get away with the 7 don't get me wrong, but I do worry continued use will eventually damage the stitching as they are quite at their limit.

Grip though, amazing, and the durability is second to none so far for me. I even let one of the divs in out team use them in training today after I hurt my thumb on 4G and even after his crap technique using them they are still unmarked.

I hope some alternate options come out soon but I'mreally liking what I am seeing from these gloves, and I do like the Black / Pink anyway.

Glad that someone has taken a punt on these. Very interested in getting a pair myself but may give them a little more time to release other gloves before I take a punt. 

Great review Bucks 

1 hour ago, Dicko said:

Glad that someone has taken a punt on these. Very interested in getting a pair myself but may give them a little more time to release other gloves before I take a punt. 

Great review Bucks 

As you lot can tell down the years I have often opted for the big brands more than the smaller / independent ones. I do have to say though I waited patiently for months to see what Pope's came out with. Initially I admit I was a bit underwhelmed by the one Colourway option (still not changed there!), however I've got to be honest the grip on these is bloody excellent, I can't knock it, in fact I think I prefer it to any of Adidas, Nike or Uhlsport. The shock absorption and durability too is top notch, and I'm hoping my new pair in a 7.5 will solve the slightly tight fit as I want them to be my match gloves.

Even the cut... I love flat palm but find with most they flap about a bit, these feel like a flat palm to wear. They look like a negative but they feel more like a flat and I like that, they offer the feel I like in a glove with a snugger fit so win win for me. I don't like how most true negatives tend to puff out at the sides. Hoping the new pair arrive before the weekend although I am tempted to go with the 7s anyway in the match.

I should probably add that I like the snugger fit the only issue with the 7 is the fingers are a bit short so they feel quite stubby.

Size 7.5 turned up today... Just pre washing them hopefully for tomorrow, the size is so much better. A little room on some fingers but just a little more comfortable than the 7s.

IMG_20180922_WA0018.jpg

I am in love chaps. I didn't expect a whole lot given the new gloves only came yesterday and I only had a few hours to pre wash them, then I ummed and ahhed about using them when I got up this morning due to it pissing with rain.

Even when we turned up to the ground for the match it was still hammering it down but I had committed at this point and only had the two pairs of Pope's with me.

Grip is outstanding! Even in the downpour on a soggy muddy pitch I was holding everything, goal at both ends had a fair bit of sand in the goal mouth and loads of twigs and sticks and despite quite a battering the latex is absolutely intact.

I know they don't look much right now but I seriously recommend these gloves. I don't think people are going to be disappointed. I am genuinely thinking of committing and sticking to just Pope's gloves from now on. Amazing from what I have seen so far.

Wow, they must be amazing to turn you away from Nike and Adidas, great review Bucks. Know where I can get my hands on them?

It's unusual for me to go for a "smaller" brand but I've been really impressed by these. I've tried a few of the others like One Glove, West Coast and DH One and whilst they are respectable brands in their own right and I know their target audience, there is something about Pope's for me.

You can tell Christoph and his team are passionate about what they are doing and you can clearly see they have worked in some of the big brands and taken on ideas as well as probably having some top contacts in the Glove/ latex industry.

Only place that sells them right now is their official site which isn't much to look at right now, and the Glove selection right now is minimal (the site has only been up since mid July!), so hopefully we will see more releases in the next few months.

https://popes-gloves.de

All of their pros are Germany based at the moment although I'm sure as word of mouth spreads so will the brand. I found out about them as Ramazan Özcan who plays for Bayer Leverkusen my German team wore some in the Bundesliga last season. They seem to have quite a strong tie in with Leverkusen as Thorsten Kirschbaum and Nicolas Lömb are signed up by the brand too. In fact quite a lot of keepers who dealt with Christoph when he worked at KeeperSport seem to have jumped over to Pope's including Germany U21 first choice and Schalke back up Keeper Alexander Nübel.