Sign in to follow this  
Bucks13

Finally a glove like the Adidas Fingertips of old

I am sure you all know by now that my absolutely favourite gloves ever are the Adidas Fingertips. However over the last 9-10 years there has been a bit of a sizing issue with them coming up big. In fact the Ace Trans model (Aqua ones) fit quite well, however the new Predator model fits about 1.5 sizes too big!!!

Anyway... Whilst not strictly a Fingertip model, I did pick up a pair of these newfangled Adidas Predator Hybrids. They are effectivly a flat / negative hybrid with "tipped" ends to the fingers and I have to say I am in love. They remind me so much of the original late 90s, early 2000s Fingertips, the way they fit, the way the fingers sit kind of in an odd way when not wearing them and even the fact the latex folds over at the ends of the fingers so you can't quite get your fingers right to the ends. The only thing missing for me is the squared off tip to the thumb but these are a much closer resemblance to an old school Fingertip model than even the current Fingertip models. Anyone who wants a bit of nostalgia needs to give these a try.

20180912_112751.jpg

20180912_112804.jpg

20180912_113258.jpg

I have so many gloves to try out but these are even better than I expected. Also had a pair of the new Nike VG3 RS Promos come today. The fit is so tight, and I'm not sure how I feel about the new "VG3" as it's basically the same as any other roll/flat or roll/neg hybrid you can buy so it's not really the VG3 anymore.

3 hours ago, Bucks13 said:

Also had a pair of the new Nike VG3 RS Promos come today. The fit is so tight, and I'm not sure how I feel about the new "VG3" as it's basically the same as any other roll/flat or roll/neg hybrid you can buy so it's not really the VG3 anymore.

Really upset that Nike have moved on from the traditional VG3 cut, was one of my favourite gloves to wear, and I just can't get on with a generic hybrid roll, flat palm :(

Prepped these for their debut in the Surrey Cup this coming Sunday. :cool:

Finally got to wear these today. I've got to be honest though I'm really not sold on them right now. The latex at the ends of the fingers really isn't as well done as on the actual fingertip models and kind of makes the stitching dig into my fingers.

The palm also isn't very wide at all so it feels like there's not a lot of latex to ball contact. And I haven't been THAT impressed with the wrist bandage on any of the new Predator gloves. Used to get a decent right fit on the wrist. Even if I tighten these as much as I can before I run out of velcro they aren't that tight and then you end up with a massive flappy bit of wrist strap.

I think the idea is good but Adidas need to iron out some of the flaws... OR, Make the Fingertip model properly like they used to rather than massively over sizing them.

I feel like I might have been a little harsh after last week. Sunday just gone I ended up wearing these mainly due to not being happy with my Popes after the warm up where I dropped practically everything into the goal.

I think maybe these needed a bit of wearing in as they didn't feel as annoying Sunday. I do still feel like they need some tweaks but after last week I'd have probably rated them 4 out of 10 after this week I'd say a solid 7.5 going on an 8.

I hope Adidas keep the hybrid for future colourways now. Or again at least resize the Fingertips. I've noticed a few pros in the Fingertip model, Ter Stegen, Trapp and Soria and they all look a lot more tailored.